Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Has there ever been one? I can't think of any?

Bats.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='batman']Has there ever been one? I can't think of any?

Bats.
    Superheroes are generally an American invention. We just make do with regular people like Bulldog Drummond or Miss Marple.

Apart from the likes of SuperTed and Danger Mouse

When it's done in Britain it's usually with tongue firmly planted in cheek

Steve

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Dick Barton and James Bond spring to mind, but you mean someone who dresses up in funny clothes like whatsisname, the one with a butler and a friendship with a young ....

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Modesty Blaise probably comes closest.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Biggles??

Liked
    7 times
    Hang on, there's always the shape-shifting, cape wearing, time travelling Doctor Who....

Liked
    255 times
    name='Joenoir']Dick Barton and James Bond spring to mind, but you mean someone who dresses up in funny clothes like whatsisname, the one with a butler and a friendship with a young ....

That's what I had in mind.

Some interesting names proposed here but they're not what I would 'super heroes'.

Dr Who is a good shout, and perhaps the 'indestructible' Captain Scarlet too.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Adam Adamant?

D

Liked
    0 times
    "V for Vendetta" by Alan Moore and David Lloyd comes to mind (and James McTeigue's strangely distorted film version of it); V, though, is more in the Batman vein, as he does not possess any superpowers.

Alan Moore und Dave Gibbon's graphic novel "Watchmen", and the upcoming film version, is about superheroes in the "true sense" - although the story is set in (an alternate version of) the US.

It seems, British "superheroes" are decidedly darker, more flawed and far less heroic. But at least they usually wear their pants under their tights.

Liked
    7 times
    I have to say the lack of British Marvel-style superheroes hadn't occurred to me...in terms of 'Super abilities' we have Wells' Invisible Man, and that's about it. We do have the 'Man out of time' type of Adamant, Doctor Who, Adam Eterno (If anyone else but me remembers him) but otherwise we seem happier with exceptional, heroic, human heroes, whether Holmes, Biggles, Drummond, Barton, Robin Hood or Beowulf....it goes back a long way in our literature.

Liked
    255 times
    name='penfold']I have to say the lack of British Marvel-style superheroes hadn't occurred to me...in terms of 'Super abilities' we have Wells' Invisible Man, and that's about it. We do have the 'Man out of time' type of Adamant, Doctor Who, Adam Eterno (If anyone else but me remembers him) but otherwise we seem happier with exceptional, heroic, human heroes, whether Holmes, Biggles, Drummond, Barton, Robin Hood or Beowulf....it goes back a long way in our literature.

Perhaps this is because the Yanks do not have any really old 'legendary' heroes of their own (Robin Hood, Beowulf, King Arthur) that they have invented a particular brand to suit their own needs. Their own real life heroes (Crockett, Custer, Buffalo Bill etc) all seem to be from 'the old west', with the exception of some movie stars and the late Audie Murphy.

I have never heard of 'Adam Eterno', please tell me more.

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    Is it significant of the way Americans have portrayed that side of thier history that you have exampled Crockett, Custer and Buffalo Bill and not native Americans like Sitting Bull or Geronimo ect?.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times

Bats.

The Green Cross Code Man starring Dave Prowse, he was offered the role on the basis of his superb performance as Darth Vader!! and he did wear his underpants over his tights. Sadly he lost the role in the sequel to Alvin Stardust!!

Liked
    77 times
    talking of villainous Darth Vadar, though there are not many british superheroes that spring to mind, lots of Brit actors get to play superbaddies in big US superhero films, Ian McKellen as Magneto in X Men, Alfred Molina as Doc Ock in Spiderman, Terence Stamp as General Zod in Superman, and the late great George Sanders as Mr Freeze in the original Batman TV series with Adam West!!thought you would like that one Bats! there must be a few others.

Liked
    77 times

Bats.

there was the TV series, "The Champions" they had superpowers for sure, telepathy, speed and superhuman strength etc.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='christoph404']there was the TV series, "The Champions" they had superpowers for sure, telepathy, speed and superhuman strength etc.
    And "The Tomorrow People" (1973)

Steve

Liked
    255 times
    name='Hackett']Is it significant of the way Americans have portrayed that side of thier history that you have exampled Crockett, Custer and Buffalo Bill and not native Americans like Sitting Bull or Geronimo ect?.

That situation has been addressed over the past few years and many revisionist books and movies of The West's famous events have been produced and 'Native Americanised' .... often to the detriment of historical accuracy .... especially with regard to Custer.

Bats.

Liked
    255 times
    name='christoph404']The Green Cross Code Man starring Dave Prowse, he was offered the role on the basis of his superb performance as Darth Vader!! and he did wear his underpants over his tights. Sadly he lost the role in the sequel to Alvin Stardust!!

Good one .... he is the only tights and cape wearing one so far.

Bats.

Liked
    255 times
    name='Steve Crook']And "The Tomorrow People" (1973)

Steve

'The Tomorrow People' brings to mind Tarot in 'Ace of Wands' ..... 'The Champions' is also a good call.

Bats

Liked
    255 times
    name='christoph404']the late great George Sanders as Mr Freeze in the original Batman TV series with Adam West!!thought you would like that one Bats! there must be a few others.

I loved Sanders as Mr Freeze ..... much better than the Governator!

Bats.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast