Thread: Michael Reeves

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Have the films of Michael Reeves ever been packaged together as a 'collection' for DVD release?

Bats.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Apparently not. Two of his four movies are available at PlayDotCom though.

Liked
    255 times
    I have Witchfinder General/Sorcerers/She-Beast it's Crypt of Horror I was looking for, it seems to have vanished off the planet. Also, my She-Beast is not the best print in the world (I got it from Alpha Video at oldies.com) but it seems to be the only one available. Thanks for looking.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I've only ever seen 'Witchfinder General' I'm afraid.

I've got a creature feature called 'She Creature' that I am rather fond of, but that isn't anything to do with Michael Reeves... but I like it... ever seen it? Its about a mermaid who eats people.

Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaryk Noctivagus
    I've only ever seen 'Witchfinder General' I'm afraid.

I've got a creature feature called 'She Creature' that I am rather fond of, but that isn't anything to do with Michael Reeves... but I like it... ever seen it? Its about a mermaid who eats people.
    I haven't seen that one .... better not tell my son about it .... he's never watch The Little Mermaid ever again !!!!!

Bats.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    I have Castle of the Living Dead, which Reeves MAY have directed little bits of. Agree that the only circulating copy of SHE BEAST is pretty poor picture quality. I also have a very rare short made by Reeves at school but the sound is missing.

Senior Member Country: UK Wee Sonny MacGregor's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    There's an excellent book on Michael Reeves which came out about five years ago. It's called "The Remarkable Michael Reeves: his short and tragic life" by John B Murray. It's well worth tracking down.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    There's an excellent featurette on Reeves (The Blood Beast) made by Pete Tombs and Andy Starke for the Channel 4 EUROTIKA TV series which was screened back in 1999.

Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee Sonny MacGregor
    There's an excellent book on Michael Reeves which came out about five years ago. It's called "The Remarkable Michael Reeves: his short and tragic life" by John B Murray. It's well worth tracking down.
    I just looked that one up on Amazon and found another one in the British Film Directors Series. Author is Benjamin Halligan.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    The Halligan is the one I recommend. A very full life story, and disproves the ofte-repeated "suicide" lie that was put about by Vincent Price.

Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by D Cairns
    The Halligan is the one I recommend. A very full life story, and disproves the ofte-repeated "suicide" lie that was put about by Vincent Price.
    Cheers D Cairns .... I will probably not be able to make up my mind and will get both!

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    Lovers of Michael Reeves's films - the last being the classic Witchfinder General - and admirers and friends of the man welcome the publication of a new memoir, investigating the circumstances of his death and recounting the intimate story of his relationship with his last girlfriend. At Last Michael Reeves reveals the true Michael and finally lays the rumours to rest.

Get your copy now!

AT LAST MICHAEL REEVES

An investigative memoir of the acclaimed filmmaker

by

Ingrid Cranfield

A memoir, by his last girlfriend, of the filmmaker Michael Reeves (1943-1969), an account of their lives, separately and together, in his last months and an investigation into the causes of his death

By the time Michael Reeves died of an accidental drugs overdose in 1969, aged 25, he had already made four films and been acclaimed as the most promising young British director of his time. In the years since, he has become a cult figure and the subject of two recent biographies by British authors. MGM and Fox released a remastered DVD of his last film, Witchfinder General, in September 2007.

Michael Reeves has long been rumoured to have committed suicide. In this intensely personal, funny, sad, hard-hitting and painfully honest memoir, Ingrid Cranfield proves who really killed him.

On At Last Michael Reeves:

‘Wonderful ... remarkable ... it knocked me out.’

- Philip Waddilove, producer of Witchfinder General’

‘Very honest, heartfelt and telling – to say the least.’

- Tarik Polansky, director and screenwriter

‘The book does work beautifully. [The author’s] history and personality enrich the glimpses we get of the real Michael … excruciatingly honest … moving’

- John B. Murray, author of The Remarkable Michael Reeves

‘What beautiful writing … a very moving portrait’

- Helena Cornelius, psychologist, mediator and author of Everyone Can Win and The Gentle Revolution

Published by Lulu, price �6.91 paperback, �2.50 download. Available now from Lulu.com - Self Publishing - Free, by Christmas 2007 also from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

Will definitely be picking up a copy of your(?) book. In my own view, Michael Reeves was one of British cinema's most promising talents - and the films he left behind still have enormous power after all these years. I recall back in the 70's there was quite a lengthy clip on a 'Film' programme (possibly hosted by Phillip Jenkinson or Michael Parkinson) on Michael's first, short experimental 'movie' (b&w) (also featuring Ian Ogilvy perhaps?), which is briefly referenced in an extra on one of the Michael Reeves documentaries that you can find on DVDs - and even that very early effort (maniac attacks girl in her home while boyfriend speeds to the rescue?) had an energy and anxiety-provoking power. Is that short film available anywhere I wonder?

Best wishes

Stephen Laws

The Midnight Man: The Official Website of the author Stephen Laws

Liked
    0 times
    I hope you - and others - enjoy my memoir. I knew Michael Reeves for a short, yet extremely intense time. Being no film buff, I've no knowledge about any remnants of film that may still exist. My interest was and is in the man, his psyche and the so-called treatment that he (and I too) received at the hands of medical and psychiatric practitioners, and in placing the responsibility for his tragic death where it belongs.

Perhaps the BFI knows something about the films you mention? They have his scrapbook in their archive.

Best regards,

Ingrid Cranfield

Liked
    1 times
    It certainly brings a very interesting angle on a fascinating story- but why so long to reveal truth?

Liked
    0 times
    Hi

Why so long to reveal the truth? Because until three years ago, I had no idea that Mike Reeves had become such a cult figure and of such interest to thousands. I remembered him, but I didn't know that anyone else did ...

Cheers

Ingrid

Liked
    0 times
    Hi everybody who's interested in Michael and his films,

I have just published a memoir about Michael, as follows:

AT LAST MICHAEL REEVES

An investigative memoir of the acclaimed filmmaker:

by

Ingrid Cranfield

A memoir, by his last girlfriend, of the filmmaker Michael Reeves (1943-1969), an account of their lives, separately and together, in his last months and an investigation into the causes of his death

By the time Michael Reeves died of an accidental drugs overdose in 1969, aged 25, he had already made four films and been acclaimed as the most promising young British director of his time. In the years since, he has become a cult figure and the subject of two recent biographies by British authors. MGM and Fox released a remastered DVD of his last film, Witchfinder General, in September 2007.

Michael Reeves has long been rumoured to have committed suicide. In this intensely personal, funny, sad, hard-hitting and painfully honest memoir, Ingrid Cranfield proves who really killed him.

On At Last Michael Reeves:

�Wonderful ... remarkable ... it knocked me out.�

- Philip Waddilove, producer of Witchfinder General�

�Very honest, heartfelt and telling � to say the least.�

- Tarik Polansky, director and screenwriter

�The book does work beautifully. [The author�s] history and personality enrich the glimpses we get of the real Michael � excruciatingly honest � moving�

- John B. Murray, author of The Remarkable Michael Reeves

�What beautiful writing � a very moving portrait�

- Helena Cornelius, psychologist, mediator and author of Everyone Can Win and The Gentle Revolution

Published by Lulu, price �6.91 paperback, �2.50 download. Available now from Lulu.com - Self Publishing - Free, later also from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

See reviews at At Last Michael Reeves: An Investigative Memoir of the Acclaimed Filmmaker by Ingrid Cranfield (Book) in Biographies & Memoirs.

Best regards,

Ingrid C.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid C
    I hope you - and others - enjoy my memoir. I knew Michael Reeves for a short, yet extremely intense time. Being no film buff, I've no knowledge about any remnants of film that may still exist. My interest was and is in the man, his psyche and the so-called treatment that he (and I too) received at the hands of medical and psychiatric practitioners, and in placing the responsibility for his tragic death where it belongs.

Perhaps the BFI knows something about the films you mention? They have his scrapbook in their archive.

Best regards,

Ingrid Cranfield
    Hi Ingrid, I look forward to reading book, all the best