Thread: Hamlet

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    I was watching Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet the other night and was truly amazed to find that it was filmed in 65mm ( or 70mm panavision as it is known) apparently it is the last known feature film to be shot in that format, prior to that I think you need to go back to David Lean(Ryans Daughter) Does anyone know the last known film to be "filmed in Panavision " the 35mm anamorphic version I mean. I can't remember the last time I saw that credit "filmed in Panavision" at the end of a film, it must be twenty years ago! Also, I often wonder why James Cameron seems to be one of the few filmmakers who dual formats his films to the 16/9 format and to a format that more or less fills our wide tellys without image loss at the sides. It makes a lot of sense in this DVD/video age, do we still really need 16/9 or is it just what we are used to? Or is 1:85:1 just as pleasing a rectangle, I believe that is closer to the golden mean? I always prefer to watch a full widescreen film and endure the thick black bars at the top and botom of my tv screen than to watch a butchered panned and scanned version but am I being a philistine in sugesting that since movies now seem to have a longer afterlife on DVD than they do in the cinema that current filmakers should be making more of a concession to our home viewing format, or are they already and I haven't noticed! I believe Ridley Scott dual formats his films these days but much as I enjoy watching 16/9 widescreen at the cinema I find myself getting mildly irritated when the film company doesn't see fit to unmask the top and bottom of the neg just a tiny little bit for the DVD release and fill my telly a bit more!! Yeah, okay, maybe Im a philistine!!

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Ron Howard made that Oirish thing with Tom and Nicole in 65mm too, so the Branagh isn't unique. (Rule of thumb: NOTHING by Branagh is unique).

a film should be made in the format that best suits the filmmaker's intentions. For decades TVs were square with round corners, so by the above logic films should have gone square and round-cornered in the fifties. Instead they went panoramic. Maybe we'll get 1:2.35 TV sets sometime and be able to watch 2001 filling the whole screen. Though I don't see why black bars at the top and bottom should be any more distracting than, say, the off switch, or that topless bald man who keeps wandering past his window across the street from me.

Liked
    77 times
    name='D Cairns']Ron Howard made that Oirish thing with Tom and Nicole in 65mm too, so the Branagh isn't unique. (Rule of thumb: NOTHING by Branagh is unique).

a film should be made in the format that best suits the filmmaker's intentions. For decades TVs were square with round corners, so by the above logic films should have gone square and round-cornered in the fifties. Instead they went panoramic. Maybe we'll get 1:2.35 TV sets sometime and be able to watch 2001 filling the whole screen. Though I don't see why black bars at the top and bottom should be any more distracting than, say, the off switch, or that topless bald man who keeps wandering past his window across the street from me.

I forgot about that oirish thing, it was a pretty awful film and is probably best forgotten!! Before widescreen came along as the norm in the fifties cinema screens were pretty close to 4x3 like our old square telly, and the widescreen process was designed to drag people away from the telly and into the cinema, so there was a fierce competition, it was almost like a novelty,it was one or the other, stay at home and watch TV or go out to the cinema and watch a widescreen colour movie. I guess the point Im trying to make is now that film and TV are no longer in that kind of competion and actually compliment each other ( cinema and DVD) wouldn't it be sensible to maintain a widescreen format but one that fits my widescreen TV, thats wide enough surely!! Oh and an interesting note about 2001, that was shot in 65mm and when it was released to cinemas en masse it was actually cropped down from the top and bottom slightly and anamorphicised on to a 35mm print so the true format of that film is possibly not as wide as you think......I think!!

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    I still think the filmmaker should be able to choose from all the formats available. Our Tv is never going to be the right shape for ALL films -- older films are now too narrow for the 16:9 frame, just as 'scope ones are two wide. so until they invent a screen that morphs to the shape of the film being shown, there's no way to make the media match exactly anyway.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    name='D Cairns']Our TV is never going to be the right shape for ALL films...
    That's why I vote for having a big white wall somewhere in the house.

"Beam it on there, Scotty..."

"Honey, why does Notting Hill have the floating-goat painting in every scene?"

"Take the poster off the wall, dear..."

Ah... much better...

Liked
    77 times
    name='ChristineCB']That's why I vote for having a big white wall somewhere in the house.

"Beam it on there, Scotty..."

"Honey, why does Notting Hill have the floating-goat painting in every scene?"

"Take the poster off the wall, dear..."

Ah... much better...

yes, thats the answer! a digital projector! brilliant!