Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sea Of Sand

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    the dvd that came free with the daily mail is in its full widescreen format. Unlike the cheap DD release. if you want a good copy, get the daily mail one on e bay for a quid

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Darrenburnfan

I have the UK poster for this film but I cant add it for some reason. if you can, pm me your e mail and ill e mail you the scan

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Many thanks for your kind offer, Paul, but I already have a scan of the poster. Very good of you to offer, anyway.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Excellent scans darrenburnfan, you could pm his daughter and mention them to her as she might not have seen such a great close up of that family picture?

FReddy

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Freddy, I captured them off the Film 4 transmission a few months ago. Percy's daughter doesn't appear to have visited here for around five months. She probably doesn't visit here all that often.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan
    Thanks, Freddy, I captured them off the Film 4 transmission a few months ago. Percy's daughter doesn't appear to have visited here for around five months. She probably doesn't visit here all that often.
    True but she might have her pm linked to her e mail. Whenever someone pms me I get an E mail telling me so..

Freddy

Liked
    98 times
    I'll PM her Freddy and see if it reaches her.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes thank you for posting these haunting photos, that is indeed myself in my dads arms and my sister Vanessa to the left just below me , my mother Amy on the right and our cousins John and Pauline to the right. Such a shock to see them. I had forgotten how moved i was when watching the film and the photo flies out of his bullet ridden body and up into the air at the end . RIP daddy.

Kate

Liked
    98 times
    I'm very pleased to read your information about who is on the photo, Kate. It's taken me over fifty years to discover that, ever since I went to see the film as a 12 year old in 1959. I always assumed that the "family" had been made up for the photo and am delighted to find out it really was your dad and his real life family. I wonder how many films have used real family photos for one of the stars to be seen holding. As long as films like this exist, your dad will never die and, as far as Sea of Sand is concerned, he had one of the most heroic screen deaths in film history, laying down his life for that of his friends.

Liked
    0 times
    you know i actually don't know which actors actually did have their family photos in movies come to think of it. They say i am the spitting image of him for good or ill. you can go to drkatrinawood.com and see for yourself.

I want to thank you for being so persistant on finding a way to contact me. Somehow putting pieces of puzzles together eases the soul somehow.

Glad to have been of mutual assistance.

Kate

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    There are plenty of actors who might attract a sense of dislike - rational or otherwise - but it's hard to imagine Attenborough as one of those.

Mind you, I'm sure many would disagree with my taste too.

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwood
    They say i am the spitting image of him for good or ill. you can go to drkatrinawood.com and see for yourself.

Kate
    I've just been to the website, Kate and yes, I can certainly tell that you are your father's daughter. Your nose and mouth especially are just the same as his.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwood
    I had forgotten how moved i was when watching the film and the photo flies out of his bullet ridden body and up into the air at the end . RIP daddy.

Kate
    Wow.

Anyhow, I always had this film down as guilty pleasure. Dickie's alcy LRDG trooper is pretty fun and there's good enough work on the kit and habits of the soldiers that mate of mine who builds models as a hobby rates it.

Senior Member Country: Germany Hummies's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Remember seeing an Italian dubbed version of 'Sea of Sand' years ago, when it was shown on RAI UNO. Couldn't catch much of the dialogue but were impressed even then by the intensity, the music score and the acting of the superb cast! Also were haunted by the Vera Lynn song playing on the radio... not easy to find on a CD.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I remember this film, shown on Channel 4 one afternoon, mainly the whistling theme tune.

In America it was released as Desert Patrol and was cut by almost TWENTY minutes :

Liked
    0 times
    Sea of Sand is indeed a great war film and exceptionally realistic - one feels part of the scene. Huge movement of vehicles and action in the desert with dialogue at the same time. Genuine comments from 'moaning' soldiers who get the job done with bravery and sacrifice just the same.

Also starring Andrew Faulds who later became an MP and who starred in Journey into Space as Jet Morgon in the 1950s. I mention him because he made a few films including The Trolenberg Terror yet, (apart from J-I-S) only spoke a very few lines on the screen - I have always puzzed this. A good actor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12