Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea Of Sand

Liked
    0 times
    Always thought this was one of the best Brit war movies and deserving of more acclaim. It manages to be both part of a recognisable genre whilst subverting the conventions at the same time and although courage and self-sacrifice are at the film's core its rather it is not gung-ho film by any means. I especially like the relationship between Richard Attenborough and Percy Herbert whose death scene is almost unbearably poignant. Wounded and alone with a camouflage net and a machine gun he puts a family photo on the radio which he tunes to 'Gardener's Question Time' ( or the 1940's equivalent ) and sits back to wait for the approaching Germans as his mates reluctantly make their escape. Wonderful.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the tip. I've never seen this but I note it was nominated for three BAFTAs. I'll overcome my Richard Attenborough prejudice and give it a look!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Holmes
    Thanks for the tip. I've never seen this but I note it was nominated for three BAFTAs. I'll overcome my Richard Attenborough prejudice and give it a look!
    That's a strange prejudice. Is it of him as an actor, director or both?

Either way, you're missing out on some fine films

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Yes, of course he's been in some fine films and I don't let him spoil them for me. In any case I admit he can be damned good, well, in Brighton Rock at least. But there's a quality about him which spoils his work for me. I think it's something to do with taking himself too seriously, humourlessness ....and i just don't like his face!!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Holmes
    Yes, of course he's been in some fine films and I don't let him spoil them for me. In any case I admit he can be damned good, well, in Brighton Rock at least. But there's a quality about him which spoils his work for me. I think it's something to do with taking himself too seriously, humourlessness ....and i just don't like his face!!
    Hunourless? Have you seen Doctor Dolittle (1967) or Loot (1970)? Or various others where either the film is a comedy or his role is comedic.

But if you just don't like his face, there's not too much that can be done about that

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Hi All, I'm sure most of you know but just in case >>>

Channel 4 are showing Sea of Sand this week, Thursday 14/06/07 at 1335hrs :

(1958) Second World War action movie about a dangerous mission by the Long Range Desert Group to blow up a vital enemy patrol dump behind German lines in North Africa in 1943. With Richard Attenborough, John Gregson and Michael Craig.

[repeat] [subtitles] [b & w] [widescreen]

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pudsonline
    Hi All, I'm sure most of you know but just in case >>>

Channel 4 are showing Sea of Sand this week, Thursday 14/06/07 at 1335hrs :

Perfect timing, thanks!

Liked
    0 times
    that photo dad held up in Sea of Sand was on myself my sister and my mum. For the longset time I couldn't watch the end of that movie because I would bawl my eyes out. Like in the end of Camelot with Harris when he leaves Vanessa Redgrave for the last time just before the battle scene.

kate uk

Liked
    0 times
    That scene has such an emotional effect anyway, I can only imagine how you must feel being so personally involved Kate. Thanks so much for that.

Simon

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks you I appreciate you sentiments, it was never easy being the kid of an actor.

But on another note, regarding Richard Attenborough, what about his amazing performance in 10 Rillington Place, with the very young compelling John Hurt, but still Attenboroughs performance was chilling no?

Kate

Senior Member Country: Ireland zorro2566's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Bumping this thread to remind you that this classic is showing on Channel 4 today at 1.30pm!

Liked
    1 times
    You can tell what I think of this movie by by avatar

One of, if not THE best British Army WWII movie

Paul

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I went to see it as a 12 year old in 1959 when it had already been on release for a few months. I loved Clifton Parker's theme music and was always whistling it at time. Nearly fifty-one years later, it remains my favourite British war film.

Senior Member Country: Ireland zorro2566's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Percy Herbert is the first face you see in the movie!

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwood
    Thanks you I appreciate you sentiments, it was never easy being the kid of an actor.

But on another note, regarding Richard Attenborough, what about his amazing performance in 10 Rillington Place, with the very young compelling John Hurt, but still Attenboroughs performance was chilling no?

Kate
    Totally agree about 10 Rillington Place - on a similar level, Richard Attenborough's performance in Seance on a Wet Afternoon is pretty compelling too I think.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Excellent film, first class cast. One of my favourites.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    0 times
    It was also released as a 'freebie' DVD by the 'Daily Mail' in their 'War Classics' series

But it's still a great Baker/Berman film.

In memory, as they are both now dead!

Bernard

Liked
    0 times
    I bought the DVD a few years back & also have the freebe, both non-anamorphic, unlike the Channel Four transfer. This film could do with a decent DVD release, as could the best POW mass-escape film ever, Danger Within.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Scenes from Sea of Sand (1958)

Richard Attenborough says goodbye to Percy Herbert as the latter prepares to ambush the Germans.

Percy's real life family?

This, the film's most iconic image, was considered so good, it was incorporated into the design for the British posters.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan
    Scenes from Sea of Sand (1958)

Richard Attenborough says goodbye to Percy Herbert as the latter prepares to ambush the Germans.

Percy's real life family?

This, the film's most iconic image, was considered so good, it was incorporated into the design for the British posters.
    I caught the last half hour of this movie thinking "Damn we did war films well!"

An interesting bit of trivia. Between takes, Michael Craig mentioned to Richard Attenborough that he had a good idea for a film. That idea became "The Angry Silence"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast