Thread: Hobson's Choice

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Hobson’s Choice was just as good as I remembered it all those years ago. The cast was brilliant, especially Brenda de Banzie, who really should have been a big star . Charles Laughton reminds me of Hancock for some reason, and there was an early appearance by Prunella Scales, and old favourites Richard Wattis, John Laurie and Raymond Huntley.

The story is almost Dickensian in its style, and if you’ve never seen it before give it a go. It’s a great comedy and very well acted and makes most modern comedy films seem like a load of old cobblers!
    I agree,Sam,Hobson's Choiceis still one of the funniest comedies and John Mills was an absolute gem in it,likewise the rest of the cast.

"I can't marry thee,Miss Maggie,I'm tokened to Ada Figgis"

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    (Marky B @ Sep 19 2005, 12:29 PM)

I agree,Sam,Hobson's Choiceis still one of the funniest comedies and John Mills was an absolute gem in it,likewise the rest of the cast.

Ta Ta

Marky B
    ECHO! ECHO! ECHO! Brenda Debanzie much underused actress and John Mills is superb. Chuck Laughton was his usual self. Am going to get that film for my budding collection!!!

Does anyone have 'Miss London' with Big-Hearted Arthur Askey, please, please? dvd or vid; I'm not bothered. Ay thang'u.

Liked
    3 times
    ECHO! ECHO! ECHO! Brenda Debanzie much underused actress and John Mills is superb. Chuck Laughton was his usual self. Am going to get that film for my budding collection!!!
    I am surprised that Ms Banzie didn't get into more British comedy like the Carry Ons. By all accounts she was very good in both comedy and serious roles, Too Many Crooks with Terry Thomas, which I've never seen but apparently it's okay and the first Pink Panther movie. She was brilliant as Archie Rice's neurotic alcoholic very sad missus in The Entertainer, and she was also in a Hitchock Doris Day/James Stewart movie The Man Who Knew Too Much, another one I haven't seen.

I've become a belated fan of this woman who was born years before my parents and died when I was just a teenager! It smacks of The Who song Pictures of Lily!

Liked
    3 times
    (Marky B @ Sep 19 2005, 12:29 PM)

Ta Ta

Marky B
    "It's news to me we're snobs in Salford!"

Liked
    3 times
    Willie Mossop was forever saying "By gum!" in Hobson's and I didn't hear it again until Monty Python when they added the "Eeeeee" to the beginning.

Liked
    0 times
    I think the above deserves a mention. Directed by David Lean in 1954, it has Charles Laughton ably matched by Brenda de Banzie, plus John Mills with good support in the shape of a very young Prunella Scales and Richard Wattis.

I think I have yet to see a poor film with Charles Laughton.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    John Mills was a tad too old for the role of Willie Mossop, but he gave a good performance, and was a better choice than Robert Donat, who had been originally cast. De Banzie was outstanding and Laughton, in his last British film, was superb.

Liked
    5 times
    Hobsons choice was a great film of its time along with Great Expectations also starring Sir John Mills what great films they were great stories. I heard Great Expectations was based on a real women who lived in Dublin and was jilted on her wedding day and never went out after that i think there was a documentery on her a long time ago if memory serves me right.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by finrod
    I think the above deserves a mention. Directed by David Lean in 1954, it has Charles Laughton ably matched by Brenda de Banzie, plus John Mills with good support in the shape of a very young Prunella Scales and Richard Wattis.

I think I have yet to see a poor film with Charles Laughton.
    I have never seen a 'bad' performance (excepting 'Man on the Eifel Tower' as Maigrait) but sadly Chuck had a bad patch during the forties and it was HC that revived his movie career and with the exception of 'Under Ten Flags' he spent the rest of his career in distinguished films.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone know how Brenda de Banzie came to be cast? She appeared to come from nowhere, but was an ideal choice for the part.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't think John Mills was 'too old' for the casting. The critical scene where he stands up straight and tall - he needed the lined-face to turn into determination, and I don't know that anyone could replace that face.

I am unfamiliar with most of Laughton's films of the '40s - few are available on DVD and he just doesn't seem to be cast very often these days.

But his HOBSON'S and WITNESS are two excellent films. WITNESS hits the TVs in the States a couple of times a year, and I'm disappointed that HOBSON'S didn't swim over to a Region-1 release. It's a favorite of everyone who's seen it.

Member Country: France
    Liked
    0 times
    It's well up there in my pantheon. Those of you of the right age may have seen it alongside the colour film of the coronation in '53, which is why I was there at age 6+ with my parents. The pink elephants (in glorious b&w) made a lot of sense to one of 6 and long before I knew anything of Malcolm Arnold, I could hum the main tune. It's there in its place of honour and was the film I chose to watch on the news of John Mill's death, even bfore Ice Cold