Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    It is definitely Edward Fox's best performance. I usually find him quite irritating but he is extremely effective as The Jackal. His aloof persona and cold demeanour are perfect.

The excellent Michael Kitchen gave a similar performance in The Last Contract, a film well worth watching

Bats.
    The Day of the Jackal also has a classic understated performance from Cyril Cusack as the gunsmith. Cyril was very good at understated but it's very difficult to do

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    There really aren't any bad performances by the supporting cast - everyone turns in a top-of-form effort, I think. And the writer's intricacy of installing a mistress for information gleaning - a great twist to this story, leading to the "I tapped all of the phones" comment.

Films like this, which have been so expertly converted from a solid book, sets the bar apparently way too high for most others.

Liked
    1 times
    I agree! I rate 'Jackel' most highly. It also always makes me think of the 'Odessa File'. were they made around the same time? Similar feel? Isn't DJ in both?

Fox was magnificent though!

Liked
    0 times
    Harley, I confess that I too link those together, but clearly I never saw them on original release or even during a same time-period on video. Yet I can hardly watch one without watching the other.

Both films are tremendous nods to their books, which they translate well. EIGER SANCTION is in there, as well.

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    I think this film is a must have in any DVD collection. The direction and adaptation of the book into the screenplay are masterful.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes, when I hear "good books can't be made into good films", this and a handful of others stand as examples.

Exceptional examples, I admit, but it can be done!

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop
    It was certainly a lot better than the, pointless, remake - but then again how often does a director of Zinneman's standing direct a thriller. Nowadays there would be too much interference from actor/'producers'

I recently read Frederick Forsyth's biography, where he stated that he absolutely, positively HATED the awful Bruce Willis remake.

And so he should.

I like Day of the Jackal for, apart from the tense script, etc, the wonderful snapshot of Paris in the late sixties/early seventies that it has preserved.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Absolutely agree that this a good book turned into a good film. It's certainly one of my favourites. Odessa File isn't at all bad either.

Liked
    0 times
    Last weekend, we saw Gillo Pontecorvo's 1966 BATTLE OF ALGIERS and DAY OF THE JACKAL paired up as double-bill for two days, and WIND & LION and MAN WHO WOULD BE KING as the other half of that theatre's Life In The Colonies.

I'd seen bits and pieces of ALGIERS but the pairing with JACKAL has made for about four days of on-going discussion. The fact is, I can watch DAY OF JACKAL any day, any time, and still find it wonderful.

Does anyone know any comments from Edward Fox about his view of this film or his role?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    A great film and worth watching again soon if only to salute the great late Anton Rodgers.

Liked
    0 times
    Agree the remake was utter garbage.For a start it had Bruce Willis and Richard Gere in it.What were they thinking of.It nowhere near captures the spirit of the original 1973 movie.

The Odessa File is worth watching and John Voigt's performance is memorable.

Liked
    4 times
    I love Jackal also and watch it at least twice a year. There's so much to enjoy in it and while the novel has lost a lot of its detail it retains its spirit and tension beautifully. There are two things I find baffling: the date on which the Jackal tells the gunsmith (wonderful Cyril Cusack) doesn't tally with the date he sees the forger and I also find baffling and laughable when Alan Badel slaps his head and says, "Of course, Liberation Day!" What a berk, I think, not to have noticed that. And finally, how many of us have had many of those Jackal moments in a car, wondering whether to press on or turn back, go left, or go right, grit your teeth, pull up the hood and . . .

Liked
    0 times
    I can't remember the exact details, but wasn't Michael Caine going to be in this? I think he wanted to, but the producer/director wanted an actor with a bit more, erm, capability lol. Not sure whether Zimmerman later regretted it. I remember reading about this years and years ago and I'm not sure what's what.

Absolutely classic film, though, in a time when dialogue was more important than stars.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by s20076037
    I can't remember the exact details, but wasn't Michael Caine going to be in this? I think he wanted to, but the producer/director wanted an actor with a bit more, erm, capability lol. Not sure whether Zimmerman later regretted it. .
    Didn't know that but they definitely made the right choice with Fox.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by basecamp3
    My first post is just to confirm my favourite British film. Not only is it well acted but stays very close to the original book.

I agree - the Jackal is a film you can watch over and over again - a great romp. Beautifully shot too.

Liked
    69 times
    The Day Of The Jackal was a seminal classic on how to create an intriguing story,without over the top action,yet keep the interest of the reader/viewer. Even though we knew De Gaulle would survive the assassination attempt,it kept our attention to the end (see Ron Howard's excellent Apollo 13).

I have read most of the FF's books,and the only one that I found disappointing was the Dogs Of War. The one I would like to see dramatised is The Devil's Alternative - but maybe that would be out of date a bit now.

A mention to one of my favourite actors,Michael Lonsdale,who played the downtrodden but brilliant detective assigned to find the Jackal. His face when told of his new job,and the triumph he held over the French cabinet when he quietly told them he had them all bugged.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    I love this film, and watch everytime its on. I love the last line.

'.....who was he?....'

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by basecamp3
    My first post is just to confirm my favourite British film. Not only is it well acted but stays very close to the original book.
    Well, my first post is to agree strongly about the quality of this film. We recently watched it for the first time in about 20 years and it scrubs up very well. Sparse dialogue, tension building and actors not manager-promoted personalities! Great film.

Cheers, JohnW

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by s20076037
    I can't remember the exact details, but wasn't Michael Caine going to be in this? I think he wanted to, but the producer/director wanted an actor with a bit more, erm, capability lol. Not sure whether Zimmerman later regretted it. I remember reading about this years and years ago and I'm not sure what's what.

Absolutely classic film, though, in a time when dialogue was more important than stars.
    After Fox's impressive appearance in the film there were lots of comparisons between him and Caine and I remember Fox saying in an interview that he was being hailed as the "next Michael Caine" It was not a route Fox wanted to go down and he turned down loads of offers for cold blooded spy/action type films. Seems he didn't want to be type cast into that particular persona.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph404
    After Fox's impressive appearance in the film there were lots of comparisons between him and Caine and I remember Fox saying in an interview that he was being hailed as the "next Michael Caine" It was not a route Fox wanted to go down and he turned down loads of offers for cold blooded spy/action type films. Seems he didn't want to be type cast into that particular persona.
    Just to add something to the "Fox" thread, I thought his best-ever performance was as "Horrocks" in "A Bridge Too Far" - the old, "Gentlemen, this is a story you will tell your granchildren about" - which, incidentally, he directed a fair bit of the dialogue toward Michael Caine in.

Full of irrelevant facts, I am . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast