Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Watched this on TV for the umpteenth time last night and once again after the first few minutes I couldn't look away. I love any film that shows meticulous planning before a heist or killing, and this is one of the best in that the detail just keeps on coming and the suspense is maintained right to the end. Brutal in parts, wonderfully subtle in others, it follows Frederick Forsythe's book very well and keeps us hooked throughout. Not quite my favourite, but it's in the top ten.

Liked
    0 times
    Well, as my first post I can only say that this one of my favourite movies and the time Edward Fox spent with real assassins getting his part right was definitely time well spent, he is cold and calculating and that is the heart of the movie.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky B
    The Day Of The Jackal was a seminal classic on how to create an intriguing story,without over the top action,yet keep the interest of the reader/viewer. Even though we knew De Gaulle would survive the assassination attempt,it kept our attention to the end (see Ron Howard's excellent Apollo 13).

I have read most of the FF's books,and the only one that I found disappointing was the Dogs Of War. The one I would like to see dramatised is The Devil's Alternative - but maybe that would be out of date a bit now.

A mention to one of my favourite actors,Michael Lonsdale,who played the downtrodden but brilliant detective assigned to find the Jackal. His face when told of his new job,and the triumph he held over the French cabinet when he quietly told them he had them all bugged.

Ta Ta

Marky B
    Hi, Marky,

I so agree with you about Michael Lonsdale. Wasn't he wonderful as the detective. The scenes of him at home with his wife were priceless. The Day of the Jackal is one of those films I pull out when nothing else appeals.

Hope you are getting in some hiking. With luck, I'll do the South Downs, a beautiful area.

Cheers,

Barbara

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theuofc
    Hi, Marky,

I so agree with you about Michael Lonsdale. Wasn't he wonderful as the detective. The scenes of him at home with his wife were priceless. The Day of the Jackal is one of those films I pull out when nothing else appeals.
    Minister: How did you know whose telephone to tap?

Lebel: I didn't, so I tapped them all.

Great response

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Good film, good book.

Shame the author couldn't resist the brainwashing of his mind by the rightwing MI5 in subsequent years - when he believed his plots were based on fact and not on speculation.

Odessa was his follow up and the last book he researched himself, from then on he acccepted in his Irish redoubt, all the rubbish and misinformation that his "contacts" in the "service" provided him with - shame really, but it proves how miniscule the Brit literary empire has become. One time he was the future of Brit literature,

In the USA - a one book novelist.Like a one hit record.

Thank God for J K Rowling.

The sole Brit author to be universally accepted, read and BOUGHT, in the last 20 years.

I Love 'The Day of The Jackall' film - and the book says so much about personal knowledge and research - and research - genuine findings- are what make it plausible. After Odessa the research is just second/third hand, basically supposition and misinformation. Plots weak, characters just cyphers - like it was written by consent -without his involvement.

As you guessed I do read them all.

Wish I didn't though.

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    The Day of the Jackal (1973)

ITV4 Saturday 18th September, 2010 … 9.00-11.55pm

The Day of the Jackal is one of my favourite books and films …

The Day of the Jackal is a magnificent thriller of the highest calibre – brilliantly directed and performed by an outstanding cast, with style, verve and panache. Set in 1963 this a superb film which charts in meticulous detail an ingeniously conceived plot to assassinate French President - Charles de Gaulle.

The Jackal is splendidly played with chilling and devastating ruthlessness by Edward Fox in arguably the finest role of his career. The Jackal is the world’s best professional assassin … the Jackal has 100 per cent fatal-kill success rate - he has never missed a target in his life … but now the Jackal accepts the assignment of his life … the assassination of President Charles de Gaulle …

The gradual almost imperceptive early morning build up of the 14th July Bastille Day celebrations in the golden Parisian summer light is an absolute master-class in compelling, atmospheric direction.

I think The Day of the Jackal is one finest thrillers ever written and filmed.

Emma

A magnificent script by Kenneth Ross and a masterly central performance from Edward Fox form the backbone of this big-screen version of Frederick Forsyth’s best-selling novel. But it’s Fred Zinnemann’s matchless direction that makes it such compelling viewing and an object lesson in suspense. The pacing of the picture is superb, a methodical accumulation of detail that is as fastidious as Fox’s preparation for his mission to assassinate General de Gualle. Although the action criss-crosses Europe, there’s no postcard prettiness, just a sure grasp of the atmosphere of each place before getting down to the business of the scene. The supporting Anglo-French cast is also first rate …

The Jackal … Edward Fox

Deputy Commissioner Claude Lebel … Michael Lonsdale

Caron … Derek Jacobi

Berthier … Timothy West

Inspector Thomas … Tony Britton

Mallinson … Donald Sinden

Lloyd … Terence Alexander

Interior Minister … Alan Badel

St Clair … Barry Ingham

Denise … Olga Georges-Picot

Madame Colette de Montpellier … Delphine Seyrig

The Gunsmith … Cyril Cusack

The Forger … Ronald Pickup

General Colbert … Maurice Denham

Colonel Rolland … Michel Auclair

Colonel Rodin … Eric Porter

Montclair … David Swift

Casson … Denis Carey

Charles Calthrop .. Edward Harwicke

Gendarme/Police Constable … Philippe Leotard

President Charles de Gaulle … Adrien Cayla-Legrand

Screenplay … Kenneth Ross adapted from the book The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth

Director: Fred Zinnemann

Radio Times review … David Parkinson

Radio Times rating 5/5

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Agreed,Emma . Also Fred Zimmermann was a versatile director,giving us such film as High Noon,Oklahoma and A Man For All Seasons. The Day Of The Jackal may not be action packed,but it is tense thorughout without a minute wasted. It is very close to the book and it remains the best of all adaptations of Forsythe's books.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    A great film, and given that we know the outcome of the assassination attempt before we view the movie, astonishingly tense throughout- testament to the brilliant work of the director and cast.

Too many modern thrillers are full of over the top action sequences, and quite a few of the old classics now look rather "talky" and slow moving. For a film coming up for 40 years old, Day of the Jackal holds up exceeding well. I particularly like the seemingly accurate and authentic police/detective undertaken by Michel Lonsdale's character. This is not a Hollywood detective story with a brash cop going on hunches and with the plot helped along by silly coincidences. Here is a professional using databases, solid research work and follwing leads. Though Edward Fox is excellent, to me this is Lonsdale's film.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Yes agreed, it's superbly filmed and acted, it still stands up very well today, its visual style seems so much ahead of its time, it just has such a gritty realistic docu-dram style about it which make it all the more compelling. I give it ten out of ten. And the cast.....well its a who's who of so many distinguished faces of the period, excellent stuff, modern film makers please take note.

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    The Parisian celebrations are of course for Liberation Day, 25th August ... the Jackal's day for his attempt to assassinate President Charles de Gualle ... not Bastille Day as I mistakenly mentioned earlier

Emma

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123