Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Don't know how to set about this, as I don't want to be a spoiler and it's about the ending. How do I proceed ?

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bhowells
    I loved this film starring Virginia Mckenna and Bill Travers as a child, remember seeing it when it was first released. Saw it on a double bill with Norman Wisdoms "Stitch In Time.
    Yes, so did I. It most have been the late 60's or early 70's.

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I too was taken to see it on its release - probably at the ABC Birkenhead (I was 5 or 6). Happy early cinema memories indeed, though I remember being a bit shocked at its brutal ending, which seems to be a bit too brutal today for a kids' film. However, my daughter saw it on DVD when she was 4 and enjoyed it too

Senior Member Country: UK LocalHero's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    I love this film but I never watch the last 5 minutes these days. I've seen it on TV so often that I've got really good at knowing when to switch it off.

It was way too traumatic as a child - I wasn't allowed to watch it (or Lassie films) because I'd be hysterical for days afterwards if I did.

Liked
    13 times
      Spoiler:
    I saw it when it came out and had completely forgotten about the ending. I rented it for the family to watch anf my youngest boy (a massive animal lover) was very upset. I would not recommend it to another family.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Aren't we treated in the end to the sight of it's offspring swimming around. I'm sure it had a happy ending or is my memory crap?

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scholes
    Aren't we treated in the end to the sight of it's offspring swimming around. I'm sure it had a happy ending or is my memory crap?
    In real life one of Maxwell's otters bit off Terry Nutkins' fingers.

Senior Member Country: UK LocalHero's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett
    In real life one of Maxwell's otters bit off Terry Nutkins' fingers.
    It's funny you say that as I was sure I remembered that too, but the last time it was on TV (perhaps over the Easter weekend) there was no sign of that ending, it was all over after the scene we dare not mention.

Perhaps the emotional trauma has caused me to lose my memory, or maybe there are different versions shown?

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maninasuitcase
    Yes, so did I. It most have been the late 60's or early 70's.

Yes it must have been either 69 or 70

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by David Challinor
    I too was taken to see it on its release - probably at the ABC Birkenhead (I was 5 or 6). Happy early cinema memories indeed, though I remember being a bit shocked at its brutal ending, which seems to be a bit too brutal today for a kids' film. However, my daughter saw it on DVD when she was 4 and enjoyed it too
    Do you know I forgot about the ending, its been so many years since I saw it last on tv.

When I saw it first at the cinema it was at my local ABC,a wondeful cinema now a ten pin bowling club unfortunately.

I am sure your cinema was an equally magical place. Happy memories indeed of buying the film review, eating hot dogs, Pearl and Dean and we still had a comissionaire as well.

If you look on Youtube under ABC cinemas there is a video of a typical ABC Cinema intermission.

CHEERS!

Liked
    13 times
    I haven't been to the flicks in Blighty for over 23 years !

Liked
    0 times
    When joining this site I had to state a fave British Film. I chose Ring of Bright Water as it contains the full gambit of emotions. There are several other films chosen as other's favourites but I was disappointed to see nobody had posted this film. It's has the lovable Mij the otter, two good looking lead characters, beatutiful landscape and the life I wish I could enjoy. There is danger, love, death and finally new life. Anyone who has seen this film will know what I mean! What a joy!

Liked
    2 times
    It is a great film, I have seen it several times, but not for a few years. Virginia MacKenna and Bill Travers were great as ever, and of course Val Doonican provided the theme song.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    I watched this a couple of weeks ago. Hard to fathom that they used to sell otters in pet shops. My daughter loved the bit where the otter is nosing around the living room making a mess.

Liked
    13 times
    It has been mentioned before, on another ROBW thread - some of us have issues with the ending considering it's a "family film".

Liked
    2 times
    Yes, it is a very sad ending I must admit.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Well made and well acted, but it really hits children very hard.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Well lucky for us we missed the end because we had to go out. Thankyou for the warning.

I remember, often, as a child seeing quite hard hitting viewing. Perhaps it was considered more acceptable at the time (seventies) I remember it being felt that children should not be patronised and taught about hard reality/sex etc from early on. I don't think they were right, actually.

I was also allowed to watch things I would never have thought acceptable today.

One of the earliest upsetting scenes I can remember seeing, as a very small child, was the ending of Bonnie and Clyde and it terrified me, to be honest, I can still remember it now.

Wish I'd seen this thread first because, at one point, I wandered off to do a couple of tasks thinking she was safe watching it.

Liked
    0 times
    I've got this on DVD, given away with the Daily Mail sometime ago. Reasonable quality. It's a charming movie.

So different from the book (a true classic) that it can be forgiven. Better a good contrast than a bad match.

Going by the scenery think it was filmed in Argyll rather than the North west.

Incidentally if you're interested get a hold of Douglas Botting's biography of Gavin Maxwell. An excellent book, but depressing. Maxwell had a lot of problems in life, mostly self-inflicted.

But the famous description "a man of action who writes like a poet" is spot on.

Liked
    0 times
    Good film 'Ring of Bright Water', I was brought up on the west coast of scotland and want to return every time i see this film.

Very loosly based on Gavin Maxwells life, personally i would love to see a film portrayal of him.

When Gavin was in the army he pledged to buy an island off the scottish coast and live there for ever, this in a way he did, he bought the island of Soay and established a basking shark fishery, hence the basking shark fishing part in the film. Following this episode he traveled the world and went to live in Iraq, here he aquired an Otter and brought it back to London, then he went to live in Sandaig, Scotland, (Camusfearna in the movie), although portrayed as an englishman in the film, he was born in Elrig near Monreith, Scotland. Mij the Otter was killed by a road worker as happened in the movie and at the time was being looked after by Kathleen Raine, Maxwells one and only love in adult life, but this was complicated by other matters, he replaced Mij with Edal, who died in a fire that destroyed the house at Camusfearna, then he aquired Teko, whop died two weeks after Maxwell died, so a lot of snippets of maxwells life in the film and I'd still like to see a film of maxwells life

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast