never seems to date. Virginia McKenna and Bill Travers

are perfect in the leading roles, but Midge often steals

the limelight! This is a classic which will continue to

charm!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by annamargaret1948
    This charming tale of Midge the otter never fails to delight me, no matter how many times I watch it. The humour is really funny, unlike many comedies of today. There is something here to please every member of the family, from tots to senior citizens whilst the timeless quality of the story never seems to date. Virginia McKenna and Bill Travers are perfect in the leading roles, but Midge often steals the limelight! This is a classic which will continue to charm!
    Very sad end, though.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    Very sad end, though.

Bats.
    Yes, Bats, it was. That's a lot of tissues for me, that film.

I have never forgiven Little John for leaving Sherwood Forest to do roadworks and using his shovel in a most inhumane manner.

How they ever let him loose with a bow and arrow, I'll never know.

For all the years he spent in 'Robin Hood', Archie Duncan will be best-known to a younger generation as the nasty man who killed Mij the otter. I don't think he was credited either!

Starry x.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    The film was a little bit dishonest in that Maxwell was simply seen as a loner rather than gay

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop
    The film was a little bit dishonest in that Maxwell was simply seen as a loner rather than gay
    Homosexuality only stopped being illegal 2 years before the film was made. It took quite a while before people would talk aabout it openly after having been used to hiding it for so long

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    Homosexuality only stopped being illegal 2 years before the film was made. It took quite a while before people would talk aabout it openly after having been used to hiding it for so long

Steve
    True - youve got me there hadn't realised that it was pre-Wolfendon

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    True - youve got me there hadn't realised that it was pre-Wolfendon
    Or post, but only just post of the Sexual Offences Act 1967 and the effects hadn't really filtered through by 1969 when Ring of Bright Water was made.

Steve

Liked
    69 times
    That's a new one on me. I always thought he found romance with Virginia McKenna's character. A lovely film,but as Bats said,a sad ending.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    150 times
    I must say that I never thought of the main character as being gay at all! I think that there was a romance 'hinted at' with Bill Travers and Virginia McKenna but, because it was probably considered a film for 'young people', it wasn't delved into too deeply - kids don't like things like that, do they?

It's a simple story and that's how it should be taken. No good looking for things that just aren't there.

Starry x.

Liked
    0 times
    To be honest, I think the ending would traumatise most young children. Children have to know that cute animals have to die sometime, but some old Jock clouting it over the head was too shocking.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobean
    To be honest, I think the ending would traumatise most young children. Children have to know that cute animals have to die sometime, but some old Jock clouting it over the head was too shocking.
    I have very vivid memories of being dragged from the cinema along with my brother (we were 7 and 5) howling and screaming and crying our eyes out. Even nearly 40 years later it is still something of a family joke. We've both got the film in our DVD collections, but still haven't quite got around to watching it all the way through again.

It's a pity really because for the most part it is lovely film, and I have always been haunted by the theme tune - which is odd because I was crying my eyes out at the time - but I could never find a recording of it anywhere.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by annamargaret1948
    This charming tale of Midge the otter...
    I was thrilled when this finally came out on DVD a little while ago now. 'A Ring of Bright Water', 'The Belstone Fox' and 'Greyfriars Bobby' are my favourite animal related movies. Two are out on lovely DVD now... however 'Greyfriars Bobby' is still being mistreated by Disney, - I understand the print used for the DVD is in terrible condition.

The awful and recent 'The Adventures of Greyfriars Bobby' made even Christopher Lee look old and tired and I never ever want to see that one again.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember seeing this as a young boy on holiday. It was enjoyable, with a beautiful title too. However, I've never seen a film with such an upsetting ending. I vowed never to see it again and I never have.

I agree with the comment about traumatising young children, even adults to an extent. A pity..

Liked
    0 times
    It was the "just an otter" comment that got me.

Liked
    0 times
    I for one love the ending of 'A Ring of Bright Water' and thank goodness it didn't cop out on it. I wonder if anybody would still be talking about this movie had it copped out. Its the diamond in the gold ring.

Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    Very sad end, though.

Bats.
    Yes, if you like an animal film which reduces even the hardest of men to tears, this one has it in spades!

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by samkydd
    Yes, if you like an animal film which reduces even the hardest of men to tears, this one has it in spades!
    Nope. It doesn't reduce me to tears. I'm as tough as old nails - lol

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaryk Noctivagus
    I for one love the ending of 'A Ring of Bright Water' and thank goodness it didn't cop out on it. I wonder if anybody would still be talking about this movie had it copped out. Its the diamond in the gold ring.
    True, but I was three when I first saw it and I'm still traumatised.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Torquemada
    True, but I was three when I first saw it and I'm still traumatised.
    Admittedly, I was three years old before the movie was even made... but I was quite young when I first saw it. I do not think it would have made a difference had I been three. I've never been one to cry at movies, even as a young child.

I'm just a callous cold-hearted chappie.

I read the novel as a child also... darn good read.

Liked
    0 times
    I loved this film starring Virginia Mckenna and Bill Travers as a child, remember seeing it when it was first released. Saw it on a double bill with Norman Wisdoms "Stitch In Time.

Val Doonican sang on the soundtrack of "Ring Of Bright Water."

Mckenna and Travers followed up this film with "An Elephant Called Slowly", havent heard anyone mention this film nowadays. I remember seeing clips on telly when it first came out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast