Liked
    0 times
    In about 1940, my mum (who was 11 or 12 and living in England at the time) was selected to appear in a George Formby movie, to sing and dance in a scene with George.

My mum, who has just turned 79 and lives in Sydney, does not seem to recall any details of the film or even if her scene was included in the final movie. She was selected from a talent school, turned up for the work, and was paid. That’s about all she knows, except that she sang with 2 other girls and a boy of the same age (11 or 12), and the boy was apparently wearing a clown suit.

Can anyone identify the film from this information ?

Thanks,

Drew in Oz

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    List of Formby's films here:

George Formby

His only 1940 film was Let George Do It (1940)

D

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    I think the more likely George Formby film is "Spare a copper", filmed in 1940 but possibly not released until 1941. It was the film made immediately after "Let george do it" and was his penultimate film for Ealing. In this George sings "I'm the ukulele man" with a group of children set in a music shop. The film is readily available so you should be able to source a copy to check.

Best wishes

Mike (MrT)

Liked
    0 times
    name='prufrockster']In about 1940, my mum (who was 11 or 12 and living in England at the time) was selected to appear in a George Formby movie, to sing and dance in a scene with George.

My mum, who has just turned 79 and lives in Sydney, does not seem to recall any details of the film or even if her scene was included in the final movie. She was selected from a talent school, turned up for the work, and was paid. That’s about all she knows, except that she sang with 2 other girls and a boy of the same age (11 or 12), and the boy was apparently wearing a clown suit.

Can anyone identify the film from this information ?

Thanks,

Drew in Oz

Hi Drew,

I think it's Let George do it because the plot involves George being a member of a seaside pierrot group (called the 'Dinky Doos') and he and several others are dressed in pierrot/clown costumes at the beginning of the film.

Liked
    0 times
    But I could be wrong - I'll have to watch both of them again to be sure!!

Liked
    0 times
    I've just scanned through both of the films - and I have to agree with Mr T. Perhaps the little boy in the clown costume was cut from the Ukelele man scene (I couldn't see him) or maybe he was dressed that way for the auditions!