Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Can anyone help with a production list at Denham Studios from 1945-1950

thanks.

Liked
    0 times
    Does Anybody have any film or photos of the great korda studios,kordas house near the river would be a bonus and backlot area,thank you...: whats the betting i do not hear a thing..

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='ddock54']Does Anybody have any film or photos of the great korda studios,kordas house near the river would be a bonus and backlot area,thank you...: whats the betting i do not hear a thing..
    See I Know Where I'm Going! (1945)

What purports to be a factory letting people out is actually the front offices, from the side, with an extra storey added by a hanging miniature.

See The Volunteer (1943)

Ralph Richardson & Pat McGrath are eating in the restaurant when Larry Olivier makes a face at the window. He impersonates a fish for some unknown reason!

See some "then & now" photos on the PaPAS site

See two part article about Denham Studios

You lose the bet

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    name='ddock54']Does Anybody have any film or photos of the great korda studios,kordas house near the river would be a bonus and backlot area,thank you...: whats the betting i do not hear a thing..

Try to get hold of a copy of a 1960's BBC documentary called "The Epic That Never Was" about the aborted attempt to film Graves' "I Claudius" at Denham in the thirties.

As well as containing uncut rushes from that production, the BBC shot Korda's house and the stables that were used as editing rooms in the state of overgrown dereliction that they were in forty or so years ago. It's quite poignant.

Liked
    0 times
    Got these bits,but thank you guys.......

Liked
    0 times
    In the 1930s London Films made a short documentary about a day in the life of Denham,but i dont know its name

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    "A Day at Denham" - I recall it had some good shots of sets from "Shape of Things to Come" and some Indian epic.

Liked
    0 times
    Brilliant little film,got that guys,many thanks.Keep em coming...

Liked
    418 times
    name='Anthony McKay']"A Day at Denham" - I recall it had some good shots of sets from "Shape of Things to Come" and some Indian epic.
    It was The Four Feathers that we saw them making

Steve

Liked
    7 times
    A teeny bit off this specific topic but... back in the dark ages when I was young (some time in the sixties) there was a schools programme about the British film industry and I vaguely recall a fair amount of material of both interiors and exteriors of studios. I'd love to see that one again. It might have been part of a series called Spotlight.

Liked
    0 times
    Nice one Alan,now anybody got a copy of that......

Liked
    7 times
    Does anyone know the exact location within the studio site of Korda's mansion where he kept his office? It was right by the river and may have featured in Powell's "Col Blimp" film in the prisoners' concert sequence. It was demolished some time ago and no trace at all appears on Google or MSN satellite shots (as far as I can see). Here are some shots from the 1960's:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee8/alangowdy/Denham/Sixtiesmontage.jpg

Ta

Liked
    418 times
    Map of Denham Studios

I think the mansion is the number 5 which isn't mentioned in the key.

The POW camp scenes were certainly filmed on the Denham back lot, on the banks of the Colne.

BTW so were the WWI scenes where Clive Candy drives up to the bridge in the rain. I have a still of that scene before they put in the background of the blown up houses and shell-holes in the landscape. There are some cows gently grazing on the grass on the other side of the river

You should always be wary of a background in a P&P film, they were very clever and very sneaky

Another point about the POW camp sequence...

Whenever we see Theo sitting down it's in close up with a group of German prisoners sitting around him. But look carefully at the medium distance shots of the crowd. They couldn't get as many extras as they wanted (there weren't many adult males around in 1942/43, they were all in the forces). Three quarters of the Germans in the crowd at the POW camp are "carefully painted and positioned" plaster models.

Steve

Liked
    7 times
    Thanks for that Steve - I have a copy of this map somewhere but could not locate it. I'm sure you are correct about the house - must relate it now to the present day aerial. I presume the stables/cutting rooms in my photos were the cluster of buildings to the north of the house. Extraordinary how dilapidated they had become only a dozen years or so after the studios closed down - and how there appears to be absolutely no trace left now. Incidentally - why were they demolished? It costs money to demolish buildings, even more to clear the site, and it would be justifiable only if they were replacing them with something else - but that's not the case here. Strange.

Liked
    418 times
    I've got a few more, one of it being built

and another of it being demolished

As for the reason why it was demolished, I think it was that it had become so dilapidated that it was dangerous and had to be pulled down

Oh, and if you want a good view of the offices at the front of Denham studios, look at the title sequence of I Know Where I'm Going!

When Joan comes out of the "factory" that's really a shot along the front of the offices. The gate is artificial (it's got credits written on it) and there's another floor added with a hanging miniature which obscures the gate slightly as it closes. I said those Archers were sneaky

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    name='alan gowdy']Does anyone know the exact location within the studio site of Korda's mansion where he kept his office? It was right by the river and may have featured in Powell's "Col Blimp" film in the prisoners' concert sequence. It was demolished some time ago and no trace at all appears on Google or MSN satellite shots (as far as I can see). Here are some shots from the 1960's:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee8/alangowdy/Denham/Sixtiesmontage.jpg

Ta

Hello, Alan,

Many thanks for these. Some of these were shown in the beginning of the 1965 BBC doc "The Epic That Never Was' narrated by Dirk Bogarde.

'The Epic That Never Was' explored Korda's 1937 production of Graves' "I, Claudius," which was aborted due to Merle Oberon's accident and other filming difficulties. In some I-Claudius (1976) sets, TETNW is included as the last episode.

All the best,

Barbara

Liked
    7 times
    Hi Barbara - yes, that was my source. Some really interesting uncut rushes in there.

Alan

Liked
    7 times
    name='Steve Crook']I've got a few more, one of it being built

and another of it being demolished

As for the reason why it was demolished, I think it was that it had become so dilapidated that it was dangerous and had to be pulled down

Oh, and if you want a good view of the offices at the front of Denham studios, look at the title sequence of I Know Where I'm Going!

When Joan comes out of the "factory" that's really a shot along the front of the offices. The gate is artificial (it's got credits written on it) and there's another floor added with a hanging miniature which obscures the gate slightly as it closes. I said those Archers were sneaky

Steve

Great pix Steve. Looking at the location of house and stables on a current aerial view, there is not the slightest trace left of what were quite substantial buildings. I'd have expected to see some outline of foundations perhaps, or even rubble, but no.

The studios themselves were, for the most part replaced by other buildings so remnants in that case could not be expected. The only really recognisable survivor is the lab, whose outline remains as in your map, albeit added to in more recent times.

I was once offered a door from one of the Denham offices, by a dealer in salvage timber. I wish I could remember the name on the nameplate that was still attached to it.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    name='alan gowdy']Hi Barbara - yes, that was my source. Some really interesting uncut rushes in there.

Alan
    Hi, Alan,

I'm really glad to see your ongoing investigative work on film locations. To me, it's one of the fascinating aspects of making movies. Who can forget the mind-boggling, successful effort for "Dead of Night"!

Cheers,

Barbara

Junior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    This is my first post. As an young American living in New York City, I found British movies much more interesting than the Hollywood films. Some of my favorites are Brief Encounter, Great Expectations, In Which We Serve, and Tale of Two Cities. I was a member of the US Air Force and stationed in England from 1955 to 1958. I recall that our Air Force somehow acquired the Denham Studios property and used it as a processing center for mail arriving the the States destined to various air bases in England. Several of my friends had worked at Denham until it closed in the early 60s. In 2006, while vacationing in London, I took the train to the village of Denham and walked the short distance to where the studios once stood. What's left are two buildings occupied by a company called "Deluxe London." I entered the offices and inquired if anyone remembered that far back when it was Denham Studios. One gentlemen in particular spoke with me for some time and then offered to drive me out to nearby Pinewood Studios and show me around the entire lot. We spent the entire afternoon at Pinewood visiting the various departments and sound stages. It was indeed a very unexpected, but most interesting experiece that I shall always remember. When I located the pictures I took at Denham and Pinewood, I shall try to post them here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast