Liked
    0 times
    Several years ago, I saw a movie on PBS here in the states which I liked very well and I would like to buy or rent it. I had seen the very attractive leading lady in some of the British Mystery series but did not catch her name. in this movie, She lived in the countryside and had several young girls in her household. A handsome local farmer was attracted to her. He gave her a horse and buggy for transport and one of her girls was killed in an accident when the horse ran away. Another young girl ran away with a local young man. The leading man is tall, handsome, and has been in other Brit movies as well. The leading lady is attractive and the quiet, winsome type. Thanks Howard

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Two films spring to mind The Loves of Joanna Godden (1947) and Far From the Maddening Crowd (1967), although neither seem to exactly fit the bill, for one thing I wouldn't describe either Googie Withers or Julie Christie as winsome!

Liked
    0 times
    I'll check them out but I beleive the movie was more current. The man and woman got married in the end. Howard

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    There was, of course a later 'Far From the Madding Crowd' - a TV movie made in 1998.

Nathaniel Parker and Paloma Baeza starred along with Jonathan Firth.

Senior Member Country: Scotland silverwhistle's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    But there is no buggy-accident in FFTMC…

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the help. I just remembered something else. The leading lady appeared frequently in some of the British Mystery movies such as Poirot and others shown on American PBS stations. Thanks Howard

Liked
    0 times
    I think you are referring to 'Falling for a Dancer'. A pregnant girl marries a widower after she becomes pregnant to avoid the shame of being an unmarried mother and takes on his children, one of which is killed in a horse and cart (buggy) accident. Its a loveless marriage and she falls for a lad in the village which has tragic consequences. Its a brilliant drama. synopsis below

Set in the breathtakingly beautiful and strictly traditional Ireland of the 1940's, Falling For A Dancer is a passionate tale of the loves and challenges of the beautiful and sensitive Elizabeth Sullivan (Elisabeth Dermot-Walsh). The story begins when 19 year old Elizabeth falls pregnant after a brief affair with a dashing actor. Shamed, she is forced to marry Neely Scollard (Dermot Crowley), a widower with a large family who lives in the remote Beara Peninsula.

Elizabeth has to come to terms with motherhood, her brutish husband, her mysterious neighbour Mossie Sheehan (Liam Cunningham), her step children and the harsh realities of a rural existence. When a carefree moment at a village dance leads to a violent death, a chain of events is unleashed that will change Elizabeth's life forever.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    name='bertie']There was, of course a later 'Far From the Madding Crowd' - a TV movie made in 1998.

Nathaniel Parker and Paloma Baeza starred along with Jonathan Firth.

I was there on location at Buxton, Derbyshire. I'm almost in it (just out of shot, which is good as I was wearing modern clothes). This, if I remember correctly, was the opening scene, with soldiers riding though a market on horseback. Filmed behind the magnificent crescent at Buxton. It was a long time ago (98 ?) I remember the goats and a nice old man playing a farmer (non speaking supporting artist).

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    Sounds like it could be a Catherine Cookson story,Bob Peck and Janet McTeer in The Black Velvet Gown perhaps.