Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Seeking any or all of this 7-episode series. Lots to trade. Thanks for any info!

Liked
    0 times
    That's one I've never heard of before!

Liked
    0 times
    I have one episode but missing a couple of minutes at the end. An ensemble sitcom of female flatmates sharing romance & hijinx whilst dodging snoopy landlord, I noticed it because it has two Avengers girls--Joanna Lumley & Jennifer Croxton. Joanna plays the slut & Jen the classy one, I believe. There's also a brain. Would like to see more, ideally the entire half-season run.

Liked
    0 times
    The only surviving episode of this series is an episode entitled "The New Lease". This only survives as a 16mm film print, and not the original 2" quad. The rest of the series, including the Comedy Playhouse pilot, have been junked.

Liked
    0 times
    That's a crying shame. Seems the Cultural Revolution wasn't limited to China. Can't someone invent a time machine to go back & save junked series? (Where are you, Dr. Who?)

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    I have the episode "The New Lease" on DVD and the ending is complete. Quality is only fair but it's a shame the other episodes haven't survived.

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    name='crunchie' timestamp='1282903026' post='468402']

I have the episode "The New Lease" on DVD and the ending is complete. Quality is only fair but it's a shame the other episodes haven't survived.

I agree. I remember watching the episodes when they were originally aired. It was the first time that I had seen Joanna Lumley. I also remember Jane Carr in it - she later appeared as one of Londo's wives in Babylon 5.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    The full, unhappy details (from LostShows.com):

Missing or incomplete episodes for programme IT'S AWFULLY BAD FOR YOUR EYES, DARLING....

15.04.71 [Comedy Playhouse] (missing)

18.11.71 A New Lease
    A 16mm black-and-white film print exists, but the programme was originally made using 2" colour videotape.

25.11.71 Sweet Sunday (missing)
    02.12.71 The Flat To Ourselves (missing)
    09.12.71 The Man Who Came To Dinner (missing)
    16.12.71 Forsaking All Others (missing)
    30.12.71 The Making Of Pudding (missing)

Out of an original total of 7 episodes, 6 episodes are missing and another exists on a format inferior to the original.

Cast photo. The series isn't among Jonathan Cecil's IMDb credits. I assume he was a guest in one of the episodes*:

Front (l-r): Jane Carr, Elizabeth Knight, a pensive Joanna Lumley and Jonathan Cecil. Behind the sofa is Jeremy Lloyd.

*Maybe The Man Who Came to Dinner? Monty Woolley was unavailable!

I knew Joanna Lumley and Jeremy Lloyd were married for a short time (just a few months) but am surprised to learn that they were already divorced before this was made, or broadcast anyway. Jeremy is well-known as a comedy writer, of course, but I remember him best from the Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In shows. And Jane Carr from the film version of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (as Mary McGregor). STIL waiting to see her in the frustratingly elusive Beryl's Lot and Harriet's Back in Town. Elizabeth Knight was a regiular in another lost sitcom, Sorry I'm Single, starring Derek Nimmo.

From Mark Lewisohn's Radio Times Guide to TV Comedy:

MAIN CAST

Gillian Page-Wood ('Pudding') - Jane Carr
    Virginia Walker - Anna Palk (pilot); Jennifer Croxton (series)
    Samantha Ryder-Ross - Joanna Lumley
    Clover Mason - Elizabeth Knight (series only)
    Bobby Dutton - Jeremy Lloyd.

A flat-share sitcom that aired as a pilot in Comedy Playhouse and then graduated to a full series. The original idea and first script drafts were Jilly Cooper's - representing her first TV work - and she then collaborated with Christopher Bond to knock the words into sitcom shape.

In the pilot episode there were just the three trendy young women sharing the London apartment but this was expanded to four for the series. Its premise differed greatly from The Liver Birds, principally because the women here were from wealthy backgrounds and had accents and desires to match - 'Pudding' was the sensible one, Clover the scatty one, Virginia the posh one and Samantha the sexy one.

Although from well-to-do backgrounds, the quartet shared similar problems to all sitcom singles - lack of rent money, a dearth of suitable dates, interference from parents and conflict among themselves. A spicy edge was added by Samantha's habit of unselfconciously wandering around the flat semi-clothed or just in underwear - actress Joanna Lumley picking up some of the useful comedy experience that, 20 years later, she brought to Absolutely Fabulous

As well as this sitcom, and The Liver Birds, two other incomplete series from the Late 1960s/Early '70s I can think of with girls/women living together are Girls About Town, with Julie Stevens and Denise Coffey, and Take Three Girls. It feels I was destined to miss all these shows

One flat-sharing comedy I did see, and which does survive, is Two Up, Two Down. This included Paul Nicholas, who also sang the theme tune if I remember rightly, and Su Pollard before she became a star in Hi-De-Hi. Not sure if I found it funny but I liked Claire Faulconbridge. Distant memories for too many years. Surely a chance that this can be released on DVD at least?
    Last edited by cornershop15; 10-05-12 at 01:12 PM.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    I really hated this when it was shown, I didn't find it funny, (although it was probably aimed at women viewers) and as an avid Avengers fan I was very disappointed when I heard that an actress from "that show" was to be in the New Avengers.

Luckily I grew to like Joanna in the New Avengers, have since met her, and now love her to bits!

But apart from historical interest I would suggest the lack of recordings of this show is no great loss!

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Sorry you feel that way about this tragic sitcom, hatpeg. In TV Heaven, assuming it exists, one of my wishes is to enjoy shows that might have been funny or entertaining then but less so now. Could be all sorts of reasons. Political Correctness, for one thing. Maybe the death of an actor who'd recently starred in the show (Yootha Joyce, Dermot Morgan, Richard Beckinsale) ... What's worrying me now is if I'll get my 1970s innocence back when this is all over. I really loved It's a Knockout and am more than curious to see the first decade of Top of the Pops.

Evening Times review (by Lynn Montgomery), 17th December 1971

This would be for the episode Forsaking All Others:

I thought there was a slight improvement in this week's offering of "It's Awfully Bad For Your Eyes Darling". I still think the girls over-act, I still think Jilly Cooper should have confined her talents to the written word, and I still think half the laugh lines stand out a mile before they are uttered. Yet the series is growing on me.

Just what its gradually increasing appeal is I don't really know.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 11-05-13 at 01:14 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I've only ever seen 1 episode of this, in B&W & not great quality, as a BIG fan of Joanna "Luscious" Lumley, I'd love to see more !