Thread: The Blue Lamp

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    bought this for a fiver in hmv cwmran today....love this film....jack warner killed by dirk then back from the dead in dixon of dock green sheeer british film heaven..........any more info on tommy hanley......or this film would be great ......?????????

Liked
    5 times
    Hi i think this is a graet film must look in HMV tomorrow.

Liked
    1 times
    For anyone that knows Notting Hill or Westbourne Park, the car chase at the end is surreal..................zippo traffic!!

Ah! The Good old days!

Liked
    6 times
    Anyone who likes this film should try to get hold of THE BLACK AND BLUE LAMP, a wonderful BBC 1980's play. It's a black comedy in which the Bogarde character, after his arrest at the end of the film, finds himself projected into a 70's cop show called THE FILTH starring John Woodvine and Ken Cranham.

Mm, now that sounds sorta familiar, doesn't it?

Liked
    0 times
    the cinema in The Blue Lamp is the Coloseum Harlesden.It still erxists albeit as a pub.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fred kite
    bought this for a fiver in hmv cwmran today....love this film....jack warner killed by dirk then back from the dead in dixon of dock green sheeer british film heaven..........any more info on tommy hanley......or this film would be great ......?????????
    do you mean Jimmy Hanley???

Jimmy was a great character and I love it when he pops up and he does regularly. I loved him working with Jack Warner. I can name 4 films,Holiday Camp, here come the Huggets,The Captive Heart and The Blue Lamp.

Liked
    1 times
    The Blue Lamp is on tv this week, very good film, I love Jack Warner & Gladys Henson(mind you I loved Kathleen Harrison as well)

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheum
    the cinema in The Blue Lamp is the Coloseum Harlesden.It still exists albeit as a pub.
    Must differ! I am sure it was the Coloseum Egeware Road, genuine old Variety theatre then to a cinema (I saw Topkapi there in 1969) but not sure what it is now.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I have seen many references to this film; it looks intriguing. It is very difficult to find here, either on DVD or video. I cannot remember ever seeing it on television. I will keep looking.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    It's one of several films from that era (particularly Ealing comedies) that you can't get away from in the UK - they're shown on afternoon TV about once year - national treasures at this stage.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Happily, I have the Blue Lamp on VHS, so can watch it sans advertisements, but I absolutely agree, that it is a great film, and a fascinating glimpse of bomb-damaged London. The Blue Lamp spawned Dixon of Dock Green, though ironically enough, Dixon (Jack Warner) was murdered in the film by one of those nasty young tearaways [Dirk Bogarde]. Warmly recommended to anyone who has missed out (though I suspect it will be very few on Britmovie!).

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernardo
    The Blue Lamp is on Dave January 2nd. Someone must have not seen this film and it is required viewing for Forum Members (in my not so humble opinion). Fish out a copy of Passport To Plimlico the two films complement each other, this time in my humble opinion. If the promised Big Freeze arrives they will pass a pleasant afternoon in the warm.
    Jack Warner was offered the Stanley Holloway part in Passport to Pimlico but had to choose between it and The Blue Lamp as they filming schedules clashed (what a cracking year 1949/50 was for Ealing Studios - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)