Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone know if a new updated edition of this book is on the cards? It's almost seven years now since Quinlan last brought out an edition, so perhaps now is the time for an updated version.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    As this is primarily a book of lists, the www has made it largely redundant, as it will never be up to date......

It used to be very useful BEFORE the rise of the IMDB and the BFI Film Database - now it is completely unecessary, and the biographic details are very basic.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Able Abel']Does anyone know if a new updated edition of this book is on the cards? It's almost seven years now since Quinlan last brought out an edition, so perhaps now is the time for an updated version.

I have the 2000 Fifth edition and, over the years, have made enquiries about the supposed new edition. The last time I enquired, I was told that no reprint was now likely! The last new edition Quinlan book I saw (and bought) was the 2004 edition of 'Character Stars'.

I cannot agree with julian craster that this type of list book is unnecessary since the advent of the Internet. I have certainly not seen any Internet web site devoted to film actors which contain as many photographs alongside their biographies as some of these Who's Who type of books. This certainly is the case with character actors. I think IMDB is sadly lacking in photographs of lesser known actors to go with their excellent biographies, especially when it is now so easy to 'grab' faces. It is certainly about time someone brought out the definitive book, or web site on British character actors. There certainly is a wealth of information to be gleaned off these forums which would could be brought together and indexed.

Liked
    0 times
    I agree that although the Internet has to an extent, made this kind of publication somewhat redundant, on the other side of the argument, it is sometimes it's easier just to have a reference book at hand, if you want to look something up quickly, rather than have to switch on a computer and wait for it to load. The Internet has become an indispensable tool for me, but I would certainly still buy an upgraded publication of this book if it were to become available. Another thing, I still know of many people who don't have Internet access, and still rely on books as their source for looking information up.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    name='Able Abel']I agree that although the Internet has to an extent, made this kind of publication somewhat redundant, on the other side of the argument, it is sometimes it's easier just to have a reference book at hand, if you want to look something up quickly, rather than have to switch on a computer and wait for it to load. The Internet has become an indispensable tool for me, but I would certainly still buy an upgraded publication of this book if it were to become available. Another thing, I still know of many people who don't have Internet access, and still rely on books as their source for looking information up.

I agree with all the points you make. Even in this internet age, I think reference books are invaluable and still serve an important purpose. Quinlan's Film Stars is an indispensable guide and I check my "2000" edition almost every day. I love the format of mini biographies and photographs of the actors, and it's important to remember that millions of people still don't have computer access. My father has no time for modern technology, and always relies upon reference books as his source of film information.

I would certainly buy an updated copy.

Regards

Phil Turner

Liked
    0 times
    Like "Quinlan's Film Stars", I wonder if "Halliwells Filmgoers Companion" has also bit the dust. It's been two years since this book was last updated and published, and a new addition seemed to come out every two years, but this year ... nothing!

Can't find anything on the web about any future publications of either of these books.

Yes, I know one can find any information about an actors credits on the web, but a part of me finds it quite painful that these institutions are possibly gone forever.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I'll miss these books but you have to be practical and we're a niche market. Most folk will now indeed turn to the internet. Lists of film credits alone are also becoming more redundant as more archive television becomes widely available on DVD. It used to be that films would be reshown and old TV would largely disappear from view. Not any more.

Liked
    0 times
    I have a 1997 copy of Quinlans All Stars,I could not find any reference for Sir Cedric Hardwicke. Does anyone know the reason why he has'nt been entered in the book,as he is a top english actor.There are names of a lot of obscure actors entered in the book

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='rollingro']I have a 1997 copy of Quinlans All Stars,I could not find any reference for Sir Cedric Hardwicke. Does anyone know the reason why he has'nt been entered in the book,as he is a top english actor.There are names of a lot of obscure actors entered in the book

You'll have to ask Quinlan for the definitive answer.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    name='rollingro']I have a 1997 copy of Quinlans All Stars,I could not find any reference for Sir Cedric Hardwicke. Does anyone know the reason why he has'nt been entered in the book,as he is a top english actor.There are names of a lot of obscure actors entered in the book

Sir Cedric Hardwicke features in QUINLAN'S CHARACTER STARS (latest edition 2004) as opposed to QUINLAN'S FILM STARS...

Liked
    0 times
    in the 1960s before Halliwells first book came out there were virtually no reference books of any merit on the market.There was a flood of useful books after Halliwell.Apart from Quinlan there was the Octopus series on all of the major american studios.I still use all of these books,particularly to look up an obscure title.However it has to be said that for sheer detail a site such as IMD cannot be beaten.This probably does signify the end of the reference books as we have known them.