Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Hi, Fell,

Many thanks for the link. And what's the latest with Jenny?

Best,

Barbara

Liked
    0 times
    Hi everyone ive just joined this group and was born next to MPS and will be sending much memories as I followed the camera crews around locally as they shot many films, I left Merton in 1962 but have many many happy memories to share with everyone and I ended up owning and running several Cinemas of my own, Sam Lavington

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Sam, your recollections would be most welcome. You didn't by any chance take any relevant photos at the time did you?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    153 times

Senior Member Country: England John Llewellyn Moxey's Avatar
    Liked
    45 times
    Thank you Stephen Pickard for bringing to life so many forgotten faces.

John

Liked
    0 times
    John Howard Martin of Cricks and Martin left Cricks in January 1913 to form his own company, Martin Film Company at Quentin Avenue, Merton Park.

Robf
    I run a website for the British Actor and Author, Stanley Morgan and he starred in many of the pictures made at MPS in the early-mid 60's.

He has written a short memoir here, which includes some still from one of the films that show the gates and the outer buildings

Merton Park

I'm sure Stan would be more than happy to answer questions about the Studios if anyone wants to know more!

Senior Member Country: UK flynn's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    Thanks for that. would like to see more info.on Nettleford Studios.

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Oops - the link to the Merton Park memoir was not quite right!

Try this

My Collections-Merton Park Studios remembered by Stanley Morgan

Senior Member Country: UK isbright's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alan gowdy View Post
    I hope they had at least enough sensitivity not to call it something like "Studio Mews". I find it distasteful when an historic British studio gets demolished by some greedy developer only to have the replacement buildings appear to mock the fact by being named after some luminary of the industry. It happened at Lime Grove and MGM Borehamwood. Ugh!
    Hi Alan,

Luckily the flats have only been (imaginatively) named 2-14 Henfield Rd. Could have been a lot worse! Moxey Close, Wallace Mews, Greenwood Road spring to mind. (:O)

Regards, Ian.
    www.blowupthenandnow.com

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Robf View Post
    I run a website for the British Actor and Author, Stanley Morgan and he starred in many of the pictures made at MPS in the early-mid 60's.

He has written a short memoir here, which includes some still from one of the films that show the gates and the outer buildings

Merton Park

I'm sure Stan would be more than happy to answer questions about the Studios if anyone wants to know more!
    Hi Robf,

Are those really the gates to the studio? Can you ask Stan if he knows where they were situated? And did they have a modern office block on site? I thought the HQ was in the older building (Long Lodge) on the Kingston Rd, so what purpose did the office block serve? Or was it just an elaborate set? I'm just curious as it doesn't tie up with my research. Any help gratefully received.

Regards, Ian.
    www.blowupthenandnow.com

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by isbright View Post
    Hi Robf,

Are those really the gates to the studio? Can you ask Stan if he knows where they were situated? And did they have a modern office block on site? I thought the HQ was in the older building (Long Lodge) on the Kingston Rd, so what purpose did the office block serve? Or was it just an elaborate set? I'm just curious as it doesn't tie up with my research. Any help gratefully received.
    And here's a panorama I put together from the Pathe site (sorry Pathe, just borrowing) dated c.1957 of the Kingston Road frontage. Present to the left is the Olde Leather Bottle pub. The rest is history...

Extreme far right is the western edge of Long Lodge, although I suspect the bit you can see here is no more. It appears to have been an extension to the original building that was lost, other than a short stub, after redevelopment of the site. There is definitely newer/repaired brickwork on the building now (see lower image).

MPS_Pan_1957.jpg

New Picture (5).jpg

Regards, Ian.
    www.blowupthenandnow.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123