Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes totally agree it is a great movie. Very atmospheric and such fine acting from Googie Withers et al.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    The full set of photos I took of It Always Rains on Sunday locations are on Flickr here.

There are also some shots of London locations from The Nanny, Frenzy and Peeping Tom.
    You took lots of photos of the Newman Arms as seen in Peeping Tom (1960). Did you take any of the newsagents shop which sells the "views" that Mark takes in the studio upstairs? It's just up the road at 29 Rathbone Street - although it was a coffee bar the last time I was there. The upper story still looks the same though and the view across the road when Mark looks out of the window at the detective following him is still the same

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    You took lots of photos of the Newman Arms as seen in Peeping Tom (1960). Did you take any of the newsagents shop which sells the "views" that Mark takes in the studio upstairs? It's just up the road at 29 Rathbone Street - although it was a coffee bar the last time I was there. The upper story still looks the same though and the view across the road when Mark looks out of the window at the detective following him is still the same

Steve
    A link to a pic of the coffee bar here Steve, admittedly a wonky one!.

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    It is a really well made film, the rain is wet and reflective, steam engines are a-shunting, the crooks conform to style with regulation fags, police in raincoats and the dinge in dingey liberally spread.

So good that it comes under the category 'watch it then go out and shoot yourself' - type film.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    a cracking ealing film.jimmy hanley,jack warner, john mccallum ,googie withers ........i love this film..black and white but sheer gold ..any info out there id love to know?????
    Agreed, wonderful film and the sexual tension between the ex lovers is incredible, sadly John has died

"John McCallum, who died yesterday aged 91, was best known as the stage and screen partner for more than half a century of his wife, the English actress Googie Withers; but in middle age he branched out into theatrical, film and television production in Australia, and helped to create the popular children's television series Skippy the Bush Kangaroo. "

John McCallum - Telegraph

I'm sure I spotted him in a BBC4 programme about "Skippy" the other week

Senior Member Country: UK RogerThornhill's Avatar
    Liked
    67 times
    It's a perfect evocation of the drabness of Britain in the late 40s to early 50s. The cast are excellent, I particularly liked Sydney Tafler as the philandering band-leader.

Liked
    22 times
    Yes he always has that "naughty boy" look to him

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by doojeen View Post

Hartland Road photo by Dave Rattigan

Thanks for the info, Dave - your excellent photos are on

http://filmdope.com/forums/fi...nanny-etc.html

Just watched this film tonight and really enjoyed it. That church tower in the photo is considerably shorter than it was in 1947 though. Anyone have any ideas as to why?
    Also there are a couple of scenes where there are crowds marching through the streets carrying a banner. I couldn't read the first line as the banner was folded down, but it seemed to say
    "March To Hyde Park To Find Out"
    at the bottom.
    Anyone know what this might have meant?

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortdecai View Post
    Ju
    Also there are a couple of scenes where there are crowds marching through the streets carrying a banner. I couldn't read the first line as the banner was folded down, but it seemed to say
    "March To Hyde Park To Find Out"
    at the bottom.
    Anyone know what this might have meant?

Perhaps some sort of revival meeting?

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Perhaps some sort of revival meeting?
    Quite possibly, as there are scenes of the Salvation Army playing outside the pub as well.

Liked
    0 times
    I've just had a look on IMDB and found out that the director - Robert Hamer - also did, amongst other things, Pink String and Sealing Wax, Kind Hearts and Coronets and one of the segments from Dead of Night.

The author of the novel upon which it was based, Arthur La Bern, also wrote " Goodbye Picadilly, Farewell Leicester Square ", which, as I'm sure you all already know, was adapted by Hitchcock as Frenzy.
    Good stuff.

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Very nostalgic! Hackney & district and dockland looked like that at the time, where I grew up and learnt to speak proper. It also motivated me to work very hard at school..work hard anywhere to get out. Lovely film to watch from this distance but not to live the life.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    It Always Rains on Sunday is getting cleaned up in the new dvd/ blu-ray release.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Always-Rains...1800839&sr=1-3

Extras include a filming location featurette.

On IMDB it states Sid James is cast as Bandleader, other sources have said this in the past. Years ago I went through the film in great detail more than once and could find no sign of him. If he ended up on the cutting room floor I'm not sure how they know he played Bandleader?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12