Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    a cracking ealing film.jimmy hanley,jack warner, john mccallum ,googie withers ........i love this film..black and white but sheer gold ..any info out there id love to know?????

Liked
    0 times
    Did a TV thing with Joanna McCAllum some months ago. She is so much like her Dad, and very tall too. Nice to talk too off set too.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Another forgotten gem that gets added to my list...

Liked
    1 times
    a cracking ealing film.jimmy hanley,jack warner, john mccallum ,googie withers ........i love this film..black and white but sheer gold ..any info out there id love to know?????

check out reel streets, there is some info on locations there. Agree excellent film, love the fact that the lover is in the bedroom while the hubby is asleep on the sofa. Also had the incredible Gladys Henson with a different blond hairstyle, excellent.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Great Movie, Googie at her finest!........I note they're reading the 'News of the world' at the Breakfast table........looks like it once was a 'respectable' newspaper!!

I have wondered what became of Patricia Plunkett, she's acted until the dawn of the 1960's, and that seems to be it, maybe she started a family?

I noticed dear Gladys Henson's Coiffed hair too!.......wish they'd given her a bigger role!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Just saw this for the first time at the Film Forum in NYC and a nice print too. It ran for a week, but not much traffic when I went. Stellar cast, great direction, decent story and the East End too ! Hats off to Douglas Slocombe for some top shelf camera work

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Great Movie, Googie at her finest!........I note they're reading the 'News of the world' at the Breakfast table........looks like it once was a 'respectable' newspaper!!
    The Sun started as a fairly respectable newspaper as well.

But look at them both now - or don't, if you have any taste

Steve

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    ......I note they're reading the 'News of the world' at the Breakfast table........looks like it once was a 'respectable' newspaper!!
    I doubt it ever was a respectable newspaper. I remember sitting reading it as a child (1950s), shock, horror, it was quickly taken off me. Pleading the classic line "I've nothing to do", I was dispatched to the pictures!

Liked
    1 times

I have wondered what became of Patricia Plunkett, she's acted until the dawn of the 1960's, and that seems to be it, maybe she started a family?

I noticed dear Gladys Henson's Coiffed hair too!.......wish they'd given her a bigger role!
    Gladys did her thing very well, I would have loved to meet her.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Saw this one for the first time last year. Think I might revisit it tonight, since you've whetted my appetite. It had a bit of an "Odd Man Out" (my number one favourite film) feel to me.

Liked
    0 times
    As I mentioned, I watched this again this weekend, and...

Wow. Just wow.

I liked this when I first saw it, and loved it on second viewing. Again, very similar to my experience with Odd Man Out. And like that film, I can see this creeping up my list of favourite films very quickly.

Liked
    0 times
    Just saw this for the first time at the Film Forum in NYC and a nice print too. It ran for a week, but not much traffic when I went. Stellar cast, great direction, decent story and the East End too ! Hats off to Douglas Slocombe for some top shelf camera work
    I saw it there too, and my experience was much the same. What struck me is how much it feels like kitchen sink drama ten years ahead of its time. One of the things, I've always heard, that was so shocking about Look Back in Anger when it opened was watching people sit around on a Sunday morning reading the paper instead of going to church. But you have it here a decade earlier.

And it's rather Altmanesque tapestry of interlocking stories strikes me as unusual for a British movie. I can't, off the top of my head, think of any British films that attempt that sort of thing.

New York has another treat right now for British cinema fans: a complete Thorold Dickinson retrospective at Lincoln Center. I caught The Secret People tonight.

Tom

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Well done Tommy Boy, i'm off for a "Arsenal Stadium Mystery"/"Queen of Spades" double header myself tomorrow. How was "The Secret People" ?

Liked
    0 times
    Well done Tommy Boy, i'm off for a "Arsenal Stadium Mystery"/"Queen of Spades" double header myself tomorrow. How was "The Secret People" ?
    I enjoyed it, but I don't have anything terribly interesting to say about it. It begins with a very curious anachronism though. In an opening segment set in 1930, a letter reads, "A great English poet once said, 'We must love one another or die.'" I normally wouldn't mention an anachronism, except that this one seems so willful that I don't know what to make of it, since the poem in question is so specific about its date of composition as to use it as a title: "September 1, 1939."

Tom

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    ...black and white but sheer gold...
    The black and white cinematography in IAROS is sheer gold - that railway sequence near the end is awesome.

I used to presume that the the railway bridge and church which appear throughout the film were in the East End, but I came across the information recently that they're on Hartland Road in Kentish Town.

Liked
    0 times
    I remember thinking that it did always rain on Sundays when I was a kid, so much so that I actually thought that was the day it was meant to rain.

Liked
    0 times
    The black and white cinematography in IAROS is sheer gold - that railway sequence near the end is awesome.

I used to presume that the the railway bridge and church which appear throughout the film were in the East End, but I came across the information recently that they're on Hartland Road in Kentish Town.
    I visited the locations a couple years ago and took photographs. They're probably here on the forum somewhere if you do a search. There was another house in the adjacent road featured quite prominently, but I can't remember the exact scenes offhand, as it's been a couple years since I last saw this. I think it was the house where the crooks tried to get their hands on a bunch of roller skates; or maybe they were trying to flog them - can't quite remember. The same house was used again in The Tall Guy.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times

Hartland Road photo by Dave Rattigan

Thanks for the info, Dave - your excellent photos are on

http://filmdope.com/forums/fi...nanny-etc.html

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for digging those up, Dojeen!

Liked
    0 times
    The full set of photos I took of It Always Rains on Sunday locations are on Flickr here.

There are also some shots of London locations from The Nanny, Frenzy and Peeping Tom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast