Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Im sure that someone will be able to answer this one for me but whats the little village called with the shop and the salvation army stood at the side of it ? I was also wondering if the church thats getting vandalised in the film is near by and also ,of course, where the farm location is.Ive just watched it after taping it a couple of weeks back and it was fantastic ! I havent seen it in over 25 years but im going to get the dvd straight after posting this.Hope theres some features,i understand from a post on here that theres a commentry.smashing

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vanburen
    Im sure that someone will be able to answer this one for me but whats the little village called with the shop and the salvation army stood at the side of it ? I was also wondering if the church thats getting vandalised in the film is near by and also ,of course, where the farm location is.Ive just watched it after taping it a couple of weeks back and it was fantastic ! I havent seen it in over 25 years but im going to get the dvd straight after posting this.Hope theres some features,i understand from a post on here that theres a commentry.smashing
    Not sure about the exact locations you quote but "Worsaw End Farm, close to

the village of Downham" in the Ribble Valley is given as the location of the film by the Beautiful Britain website.

Liked
    0 times
    Whoah ! cheers mate thats it ! thats the info i needed !

Liked
    0 times
    Downham is indeed the village. The Salvation Army scene was shot at the bottom of the hill ( the shop is actually a house ) while the phone box - still there! is at the top of the hill. Public footpaths go through the farm. The track leading up the hill behind the farm is the one seen in the first scene. The barn is also still there. When I visited it and went inside it was just a mud-bath and everything visible in the film ( stalls/roof loft etc have all gone ). Remember the ' We Three Kings ' shot of the trees in the distance, well the stumps ( around 10ft in height ) are still there as well. Clitheroe, just a few miles away also has a couple of locations worth visiting. The cemetery ( on Waddington Road ) is were the kids go looking for the priest. The Police station on the road directly opposite the rail station is where the kids walk past oblivious to the wanted poster being put up on the notice board.

Liked
    0 times
    Sir,that info is fantastic !!!!! Im definatly making a trip up there ! I was happy knowing where the little village was to make the trip but its going to be a lot more rewarding now thanks to you.did the farmer not mind you going in his barn ? his he pretty cool about it,im guessing he knows its used in the film.

Liked
    0 times
    To be honest, I just walked straight in. There was no-one around to ask permission. The church you refer to is ( was ) I believe in Burnley.

Liked
    0 times
    Just got your message. Hope this helps.

Enter Downham from the village of Chatburn. At the church turn right and go down the hill. As you start to go down the hill you cannot fail to notice the telephone box on your left ( seen near the end of the film ). At the bottom of the hill, the last house on your right was mocked up as the village store. Directly after this is the parking area where the Salvation Army scene took place. Go over the bridge and immediately take the very narrow turning on your right. After about a mile there is on your left a signpost ( or there was when I visited ) indicating a camping/caravan site. A couple of yards before this - also on your left is small unsurfaced area where I parked my car. Walk in the direction you have been travelling and you will almost staight away pass over a little stream ( look on your left to see it ). This is where the little boy ( forgot his name ) says " I only told Jackie ". Keep walking for another 20yds or so and on your right is the gate you asked about. Go straight through and follow the trackway to the farm. Don't worry, its a public footpath. Directly behind the farm is the track seen during the opening titles. To get to it just walk to the right of the farm ( You will see a gate in the wall ). After you get back to the farm just walk ( with the farm behind you ) roughly to the right and you will see the barn. The entrance to it is round the opposite side of the farm. From it you can see the remains of the ' Three King ' trees. The cafe is not in Clitheroe. I suppose you mean the one in the film where the kids go looking for the priest. Well it is in Burnley. As far as I know ( I have never been myself ) it still is a cafe called ' The Stables ' and is at Towneley Hall on the eastern side of the town. Hope this answers everything. Good look on your trip - just watch out for escaped murderers!.

Liked
    0 times
    EXCELLANT ! Many thanks for that fast reply,for me this is infomation that money carnt buy.I will let you know how i go on via a PM,I should be going next week.Thanks again and im sure some other folk will probably go visit now theres info like that on the forum.nice one

Liked
    151 times
    There was an episode of Ben Fogle's Big Screen Britain dedicated to WdtW which I'm sure a few members recorded.

Liked
    0 times
    Whoah ! Cheers DB7.If anyone can help me out with a tape/copy/info on how i can see this programme will you PLEASE pm me !

Liked
    0 times
    Just joined this great site - I remember reading that the little boy who starred in this film - real 'northern like' - is/was now a motor mechanic who works in a garage on the main street in Clitheroe. Great film and good to know people out there share these interests !

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Made my trip up to Carnforth today, with Downham on the way back.

Will post my pictures here.

First, Downham, where Whistle Down the Wind was filmed in 1961. Beautiful village, hardly changed at all since filming. Apparently it's all owned by a single estate (Lord Ashton?), so he has made sure it is pretty much preserved as it has always been - not a pylon or a road sign in sight.

The first major location on the way in is the steps and telephone box. The only perceivable change is the addition of a bench and a rail on the steps. Oh, and the side of the schoolhouse a bit further down the lane was visible in the film, but is obscured by trees now.

When you walk down to the bottom of the village, you come to the small parking area where the Salvation Army preached at the beginning of the film. Again, little has changed. The building on the end of the row has a window added, and it's grown over with ivy.

The building on the end was of course the village shop in the film, although it's actually a house that had a false front added. The house across the road also features at one point:

Further along still is the bridge.

Just over the bridge is an old barn converted into a visitor's centre (unmanned) and toilets. This plaque is on the wall in the centre:

Past the visitor's centre is a narrow lane leading to Worsaw End Farm, which provided the main setting for the movie. I'll post those pics next.

Liked
    0 times
    Worsaw End Farm was harder to photograph. I couldn't get anywhere near the barn, although I guess I could have if I'd been brave and trespassed!

Because of the space/movement restrictions, it was hard to replicate shots from the movie, so I don't have any comparisons, as such. Instead, I'll post a couple of establishing shots from the film, and then a few I took myself:

I took a walk (braving rain, mud and lots of sheep and rabbit poo) along the footpath that runs behind the farm and along the hillside. It was used mainly in the opening sequences of the film, when the farmhand (Norman Bird) tries to drown the kittens. Even harder getting comparison shots here, since one bit of path is pretty much the same as another, but I think I was in the right area.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Totally brilliant "Before and After" shots, Dave! Many thanks for uploading them.

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    Some great shots there Dave.............many thanks.........

Both films are among my favourites...............

Cheers

Sgt S

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, darrenburnfan and Sgt Sunshine. I am really pleased with how these came out, especially since I took them on a meagre mobile phone camera.

Added a few farm shots above.

Liked
    0 times
    I shall add Brief Encounter shots later - bit knackered right now!

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Great photos Dave, thanks.

Liked
    151 times
    Excellent photos Dave.

Senior Member Country: England harryshand's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Excellent Then and Now shots - thanks for posting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast