Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quadrophenia

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    i first saw this in 1980 (2nd release with scum as the b movie)

these were great times for us lot

i was obsessed by clothes and the 60s well before this anyway so when it did come out i could easily relate to it.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by redstar65
    i first saw this in 1980 (2nd release with scum as the b movie)
    Yes, so did I. My mates all preferred 'Scum' but it was 'Quadrophenia' for me. Quite simply one of the best films of the 1970's with a terrific OST.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    check out the book all about the film:

Chasing the Wind:A Quadrophenia Anthology.

On Ebay/ Amazon or at

http://chasing_book.tripod.com

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    love the clothes! mods are the best dressed race on earth. visit sherry's just off carnaby street to see why

Liked
    2 times
    did anybody see the brief behind the scenes shot of this on that season of british films documentary last year ? somebody was trying to teach sting how to dance ,the eventual sequence of him in the finished film is only from the waist up and something they just had to improvise cos they couldnt do it !

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    There's a ton of mean spirited, nasty and snide comments I wanted to make about Sting's dancing abilities, most of them tied to the music he has purveyed. But I'm on my best Britmovie behaviour and won't say a word. However, I do feel sorry for whoever it was that had the thankless and impossible task of trying to teach him a couple of decent moves - it was never gonna happen !

Liked
    2 times
    the reason youve got sting and also people like toyah in it is because the producers were worried that the kids of 79 would not want to identify with a youth cult of 15 years earlier .difficult to imagine now but sting was part of the new wave in 79 not the mainstream rockstar he is now ,so he had youth appeal .

Liked
    0 times
    i read somewhere ages ago that pete townsend innitialy wanted to have a band at the centre of the film instead of just jimmy, and had the jam in mind. obviously it never happened and i couldn't imagine weller touching it with a barge pole a) because he and pete townsend didn't get on when they met and b) cos weller hated acting (just look at any music videos by the jam). i'm glad he stuck with jimmy....he's excellent

Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by byebyebadman
    i read somewhere ages ago that pete townsend innitialy wanted to have a band at the centre of the film instead of just jimmy, and had the jam in mind. obviously it never happened and i couldn't imagine weller touching it with a barge pole a) because he and pete townsend didn't get on when they met and b) cos weller hated acting (just look at any music videos by the jam). i'm glad he stuck with jimmy....he's excellent
    on the dvd extras they do say as fact that johnny rotten had the part as jimmy .it was all signed up, everything . what went wrong was keith moon died and the record co werent sure there would be a who anymore and pulled out of financing the film . that left private financiers who did not want johnny rotten ,someone who had been public enemy no 1 for his exploits in the sex pistols ,as the star of their film . i think its better the way it is anyway ,the film has turned into a classic .john lydon as the star might have ruined it ?

Liked
    0 times
    i think he would have spioled it. phill daniels was perfect in the role. johny rotten shouting "What do you mean going to be? i am one of the faces!" would sound stupid. and anyway, what would be the point of having one of the most famous punks in the world as a mod? i couldn't imagine him having a smart hairdo and wearing a suit. thank god they chose the proper jimmy.

Liked
    2 times
    they originally wanted john lydon to connect to the kids of 78/79 a bit like the reason sting and toyah are there . your right it probably would have been ruined with him instead of phil and i doubt we,d be discussing it 30 years later

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    a quality brit movie-inspired me to buy a scooter and a parka! although there's nothing more embarrassing than coming off a scooter wearing a parka in front of a crowd of people outside a pub!

Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycad
    a quality brit movie-inspired me to buy a scooter and a parka! although there's nothing more embarrassing than coming off a scooter wearing a parka in front of a crowd of people outside a pub!
    or pushing one home aged 40

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davidb
    or pushing one home aged 40
    or crashing into the back end of a bus that had stopped at a bus stop whilst looking at a girl at the bus stop!!!

Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleybloke
    'ang on DB, I keep posting stuff for you mods............what about summit for us bikers....................????
    lambretta gp something for you to aspire to

Liked
    0 times
    OK, confession time. I've never seen Quadrophenia! I'm sure it's a great film and I'm 'of its generation', but it always seems to be on in the middle of the night. Twice - just before going to bed - I've clicked the tV over to see the bit near the end where Phil Daniels is in the seaside cafe, but that's the only bit I've ever seen.

I think I'll have to buy this on DVD and settle down with a bag of Twiglets and a couple of beers. It's GOT to be good!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Two disc Special Edition DVD �2:99 delivered from Zavvi:

Quadrophenia [Special Edition] - Phil Daniels - Leslie Ash - DVD - zavvi UK

Liked
    2 times
    well worth 3 quid i think

Liked
    0 times
    The Who's second feature film sees Jimmy (Phil Daniels, voice of Parklife) searching for identity in the bustling youth culture of the early 60s. What I really like about Quad is the way frustration and identity are represented literally (Jimmy kicking over his Lambretta) and through his estranged stage at the films conclusion. We are of course treated to the epic sounds of the Who's 'Quadrophonic' album throughout, with 'Love Reign O'er Me' accompanying the final sequence on Beachy Head, which ranks as one of my favorite cinematic moments. I saw this film 2 years ago when I was 17 and was mesmerised. It came out of the screen and touched my heart in a way Hollywood epics so often fail to. It may well be a romanticised version of true events, and rejected by the 'true' Mods of the early 60s as being obsessed with violence and other ideals aside from Mod culture, but as a film on youthful expression it is unrivaled by anything else I've seen.

We are the Mods!

Liked
    100 times
    classic film and soundtrack! i first watched this 8 years ago,absolutely loved it and went and bought a scooter and parka!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast