Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quadrophenia

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    aagghh!-this thread's been joined to an older one and now i look like i repeat myself all the time!!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycad
    aagghh!-this thread's been joined to an older one and now i look like i repeat myself all the time!!
    Didn't you just say that earlier?

Steve

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Been watching this thread for a while now and as an original 60s mod I have to say the music is abysmal, far too "rock opera" type songs for me, The Who ditched their mod beginnings after a couple of years then went mainstream rock.

It is on record the The Who had tried to get Motown involved but they wanted far too much money from an independant film company so the idea of "real" mod music was ditched.

Believe me guys "Da Do Run Run" ain't no mod record, the only decent track on it is The Kingsmen Louie Louie.

But they got the period bit spot on and there are some great moments in the film but from my perspective I feel The Who could have had a more soul/RnB approach to the soundtrack, after all apart from clothes and scooters the music really was number one in our hearts.

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kingbman
    Been watching this thread for a while now and as an original 60s mod I have to say the music is abysmal, far too "rock opera" type songs for me, The Who ditched their mod beginnings after a couple of years then went mainstream rock.

It is on record the The Who had tried to get Motown involved but they wanted far too much money from an independant film company so the idea of "real" mod music was ditched.

Believe me guys "Da Do Run Run" ain't no mod record, the only decent track on it is The Kingsmen Louie Louie.

But they got the period bit spot on and there are some great moments in the film but from my perspective I feel The Who could have had a more soul/RnB approach to the soundtrack, after all apart from clothes and scooters the music really was number one in our hearts.

fair point-i enjoy the soundtrack as a who fan but you're right about it not fitting in with the era! what do you think about the inclusion(albeit in the background) of 'i'm the face' and 'zoot suit' in the film?(both poor songs i think)

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times

But they got the period bit spot on and there are some great moments in the film
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm I think they got the period all wrong as 1979 was not the mod/rockers time but the mid 60's it was,the next time anyone watches the film again watch the background it IS ALL WRONG.

To get the period "spot on" you need more than period clothes etc and a music soundtrack.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycad
    fair point-i enjoy the soundtrack as a who fan but you're right about it not fitting in with the era! what do you think about the inclusion(albeit in the background) of 'i'm the face' and 'zoot suit' in the film?(both poor songs i think)
    I have to say they were gods to us at the start and the two above tracks carry a special place in the heart but certainly not their best efforts, their "b" sides on early Brunswick records like "Daddy Rolling Stone" and Shout And Shimmy" were great.

I saw them in my local club early 66 and you could see by then they had moved on the rock side of things, still enjoy watching them but never bought any of their stuff after 67, rock's just not my bag I'm afraid

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst_Isle
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm I think they got the period all wrong as 1979 was not the mod/rockers time but the mid 60's it was,the next time anyone watches the film again watch the background it IS ALL WRONG.

To get the period "spot on" you need more than period clothes etc and a music soundtrack.
    Yeah well what I meant was for the budget they used it was ok, perhaps spot on was rather wide of the mark, don't agree the the background is all wrong, little has changed in that area since the 60s and I don't think the film had anything to do with the mod revival of the 70s.

I think the director did a good job overall, just that blasted "Tommy" type soundtrack!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    theres lots of mod snobs who dont like this film cos the collars on the shirts are too long or too short ,or the desert boots are totally wrong . thing is it was only ever a low budget film ,whoever done wardrobe on it probably done a marvelous job with the resources they had .

as for mk3 cortinas and the like cropping up in the background ,it doesnt really matter anymore cos late 70s britain looks as retro as the mid 60s one they were trying to recreate .it all just blends in when viewed in 2009 .

if motown wanted too much money too provide the music then great ! motowns a bit too obvious sometimes and its good to hear more obscure tracks on the soundtrack .the night club scene just after jimmy gets chucked out and theyre playing a song called the wah tusi by a group called the orlons is my favourite

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Haven't seen it in years, but it did annoy me when I first saw it, the only two I can remember now was the cover of the re-issue of the "My Generation" album being featured and parking meters where they wouldn't have been. The tunes of "i'm The Face" and "Zoot Suit" and the "Daddy Rolling Stone" all courtesy of Guy Stevens !

Liked
    100 times
    I have to say they were gods to us at the start and the two above tracks carry a special place in the heart but certainly not their best efforts, their "b" sides on early Brunswick records like "Daddy Rolling Stone" and Shout And Shimmy" were great.

I saw them in my local club early 66 and you could see by then they had moved on the rock side of things, still enjoy watching them but never bought any of their stuff after 67, rock's just not my bag I'm afraid
    i wish i'd seen them in their prime-am jealous!!

Liked
    0 times
    Ok so its not 100% representitive of the 60s, but don't forget most of the original Mods had already distanced themselves from the group by 64. As a film, it had a powerful effect on me and thousands of other teenagers across Britain whether it was genuine or not

Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Domst
    Ok so its not 100% representitive of the 60s, but don't forget most of the original Mods had already distanced themselves from the group by 64. As a film, it had a powerful effect on me and thousands of other teenagers across Britain whether it was genuine or not
    yeah youre right domst ,its a very powerful film ,well acted and anyone whose been a teenager can identify with . whether an intercity 125 train is visible or the exact release dates of music featured ,whether its pre 64 or post 64 is neither here nor there really

Liked
    2 times
    a little while ago i got a copy of this on fleabay

its unusual in being a book that came out after the film . anyway in the book whilst at work jimmy gets seduced by an older woman ,a bit of a saucy secretary .

then whilst viewing this one extra on the otherwise rubbish first dvd release ,you see the stills of that one scene

can anyone shed anymore light on it ? who is the actress ? etc

Liked
    0 times
    a couple of my friends have a daft spoof of quadrophenia partly filmed on Brighton beach a couple of may bank holidays ago so it was really inin the spirit - on spacehoppers. not sure if I'm allowed to post a link, I'm new ... will read the rules. If anyone feels like looking the film maker is skaromedia - quite a few funny short films.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I recently watched this for the first time since its initial run at Wolverhampton Odeon, and while I don't think it's a "great" film it's certainly a fun one to spend a couple of hours with, probably moreso today than 30 years ago when it was hard to divorce it from the then current mod revival. Funny thing is

SPOILER

I always thought Jimmy had killed himself by riding off the cliff at the end*, because you don't really take it in on first viewing that that's him at the beginning walking away from the cliff. So it was odd seeing it again and discovering he's still alive as the credits roll. Interestingly, the director mentions in the audio commentary that in the originally envisaged ending Jimmy does commit suicide, but I have to say the ending as is makes much more sense thematically, and it probably increased my appreciation and enjoyment of the film.

*did anyone else get fooled by this, or was it just me?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davidb
    a little while ago i got a copy of this on fleabay

its unusual in being a book that came out after the film . anyway in the book whilst at work jimmy gets seduced by an older woman ,a bit of a saucy secretary .

then whilst viewing this one extra on the otherwise rubbish first dvd release ,you see the stills of that one scene
    The actress seen six minutes in?.........I don't recognise her, but I'd guess she would have been a 70's Model rather than a proper actress, I have wondered when I've seen this film if 'they' went to the bottom of the cliff to clear up the tangled mess of the Scooter laying there!

Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O
    The actress seen six minutes in?.........I don't recognise her, but I'd guess she would have been a 70's Model rather than a proper actress, I have wondered when I've seen this film if 'they' went to the bottom of the cliff to clear up the tangled mess of the Scooter laying there!
    there is a scooter magazine called "classic scooter scene " that has recollections and photographs from people who were extras in the movie each month .

according to what ive read in there ,yes they did have to clear up the fragments of the smashed scooter ........quite a few times as there was more than one went over !

the secretary probably was a model ,i dont recognise her as an actress myself .

Liked
    0 times
    Love the music ,love the movie. Think it's some of The Who's best work.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Domst
    I seem to remember it was almost the opposite: it's not that the Mods had moved on from the Who, but that they just wouldn't have known about them outside Shepherd's Bush. For the Who, the Mod 'movement' was more a kind of general fashion thing - witness the bandwagon naming of "I'm the Face". The first Who single proper was 1965. I remember we all knew that at the time (I was 17) but the film was just GLORIOUS for all of us. It was a real breath of fresh air and I remember that the wide lapels and flares, the "Heaven Can Wait" on at the cinema, the impossibility of singing along to My Generation at a house party in 1964 ... they meant nothing. If you can accept Sting as a Ace Face, then I think you can pretty much accept a low budget yoof film for what it was. As someone said at the time, thank God Ken Russell didn't get hold of it.

Ace film.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast