Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Quadrophenia

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    the incorrect background detail and fashion if listed would go on forever , stings vespa gs160 which was one of the most popular mod scooters of the mid 60s is actually a late 70s rally 200 for example .why they done that when the lambrettas they used are mostly right for the period its set in is beyond me .

but quite frankly who cares ? id rather have a vehicle not quite right for the period or an intercity 125 train visible than ropey acting or bad editing or direction which are more usually apparent in a fairly low budget film

if all the period detail had been right but the acting had stunk we wouldnt still be discussing it 30 years later

Senior Member Country: Great Britain hhhhancock's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    Reading the thread about locations for Quadrophenia (which was made about 12 to 15 years after the Mod period) I was wondering if there are any old Mods out there who have some thoughts about the authencitity of their depiction in this film.

I'm talking mainly about the dress rather than the behaviour, I must admit that I was a Mod in the early to mid sixties but never got involved in any violence .Some of the hair styles and clothing aren't quite right as far as I can remember. Is it just advancing years that are clouding my memories or am I right?

Still it's a fine film with great music by the Who (incidentally, I went to school with Roger, and his sister Carol, Pete and John).

What do you think?

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhhancock
    Reading the thread about locations for Quadrophenia (which was made about 12 to 15 years after the Mod period) I was wondering if there are any old Mods out there who have some thoughts about the authencitity of their depiction in this film.

I'm talking mainly about the dress rather than the behaviour, I must admit that I was a Mod in the early to mid sixties but never got involved in any violence .Some of the hair styles and clothing aren't quite right as far as I can remember. Is it just advancing years that are clouding my memories or am I right?

Still it's a fine film with great music by the Who (incidentally, I went to school with Roger, and his sister Carol, Pete and John).

What do you think?
    this is a good book covering the history and development of the 'mod' and has a photo interview with a very young mark feld(bolan) before 'the who','the small faces' etc. became popular and 'mod' became a fashion.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/0711968136/

Liked
    151 times
    I seem to recall in the 80s that many mods looked more influenced by the film than the original movement. More quads than mods.

I used to pity them as I flew past... whilst still in first gear.

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DB7
    I seem to recall in the 80s that many mods looked more influenced by the film than the original movement. More quads than mods.

I used to pity them as I flew past... whilst still in first gear.
    ha ha-i must have been a 'quad' from 1999-2006 then!!

i remember first upgrading from a 50cc scooter to a 125cc and riding home from the scooter dealer thinking that i was going to die from the sheer speed difference!!(80mph as opposed to 50mph on my de-restricted scooter-ha ha ,sad!!)

Liked
    0 times
    can't offer any help on that I'm a Rocker myself, 1958 BSA Rocket Gold Star replica rider, mind you i have more Mods as mates than rockers and some of them were extras in the movie, I did play a Rocker in Heartbeat, but you had to dress as they wanted you too, even though you knew more about it than their own props / wardrobe deps did

Good film though

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times

What do you think?

As an original 60s mod the period of the time was very good, I know for a fact that The Who tried to get Motown to release some some song's for the film but were refused as were some other important recordings for the time, the actual music by The Who is abysmal imo, I hate that "rock opera" type music, also I can assure readers that Da Doo Run Run was NOT played at any venue's I went to!, the dj would have been strung up!.

Still, beggars can't be choosers! so it got a 6/10 from me.

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kingbman
    As an original 60s mod the period of the time was very good, I know for a fact that The Who tried to get Motown to release some some song's for the film but were refused as were some other important recordings for the time, the actual music by The Who is abysmal imo, I hate that "rock opera" type music, also I can assure readers that Da Doo Run Run was NOT played at any venue's I went to!, the dj would have been strung up!.

Still, beggars can't be choosers! so it got a 6/10 from me.
    what songs would have been your personal choice to be featured on the film?

my only knowledge of the scene is the post who stereotype.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycad
    what songs would have been your personal choice to be featured on the film?

my only knowledge of the scene is the post who stereotype.
    Well for the love of me I cannot understand why they never put any of their great early Brunswick sides (apart from My Gen), such as The Kids Are Allright and Anyway Anyhow Anywhere plus Shout And Shimmy and Daddy Rolling Stone (although that was a cover) in the film, my choices would have been those above plus

Heatwave--Martha & The Vandellas

Get Ready--Temptations

Boom Boom--John Lee Hooker

Needle In A Haystack--The Velvelettes

I've Got To Dance To Keep From Crying--The Miracles

Baby I Need Your Loving--Four Tops

See Saw--Don Covay

Don't Fight It--Wilson Pickett

Blues In The Night--Johnny Taylor

Just to name a few

Liked
    100 times
    Well for the love of me I cannot understand why they never put any of their great early Brunswick sides (apart from My Gen), such as The Kids Are Allright and Anyway Anyhow Anywhere plus Shout And Shimmy and Daddy Rolling Stone (although that was a cover) in the film, my choices would have been those above plus

Heatwave--Martha & The Vandellas

Get Ready--Temptations

Boom Boom--John Lee Hooker

Needle In A Haystack--The Velvelettes

I've Got To Dance To Keep From Crying--The Miracles

Baby I Need Your Loving--Four Tops

See Saw--Don Covay

Don't Fight It--Wilson Pickett

Blues In The Night--Johnny Taylor

Just to name a few

cheers!

i was confused myself why they didn't use more of their early stuff on the film-in fact i can only remember a live band playing a snippet of 'i'm the face' as the only thing from their back catalogue!

Liked
    0 times
    cheers!

i was confused myself why they didn't use more of their early stuff on the film-in fact i can only remember a live band playing a snippet of 'i'm the face' as the only thing from their back catalogue!
    Yes that's right, I cannot understand why Townshend never gave that a thought to include that and other early Who stuff in the soundtrack, anyway when they dropped their mod/RnB style I dropped them as other mods did, that also goes for The Kinks and The Small Faces

Liked
    100 times
    Yes that's right, I cannot understand why Townshend never gave that a thought to include that and other early Who stuff in the soundtrack, anyway when they dropped their mod/RnB style I dropped them as other mods did, that also goes for The Kinks and The Small Faces
    what was the 'mods' opinion of the rolling stones? as their early r&b stuff/covers seem to mirror what the who were playing early on but you don't often hear the stones being linked with the mods in the way the who and the small faces are!

Liked
    0 times
    what was the 'mods' opinion of the rolling stones? as their early r&b stuff/covers seem to mirror what the who were playing early on but you don't often hear the stones being linked with the mods in the way the who and the small faces are!
    Like everything in the early days The Stones had a decent mod following although not as much as say The Pretty Things, The Stones moved on to mainstream rock fairly quickly and were dropped from the mod playlist, but tracks such as Suzie Q, Down The Road Apiece, Time Is On My Side are still mod faves even today.

Of course they were covers of black music and enterprising dj's quickly sought out the original artist's of these songs and the Stones were dropped out of sight.

Liked
    2 times
    I'm not sure that there was any definite musical taste amongst the Mods of that time. We certainly liked black music, specifically Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Don Covay and most of the Motown stuff but individual tastes did vary a lot, I certainly liked the Stones but most of our time was spent at the Flamingo club in Wardour Street where regulars were Georgie Fame, John Mayall and Rod Stewart.

We never went anywhere unless there was a live band playing but I think there may have been a distinction between Northern Mods and London Mods. We were lucky enough to have a lot of live acts doing the circuit in the south and it wasn't until a bit later that Northern Soul took off and bands like Geno Washington started venturing north of Watford.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    mods who take themselves incredibly seriously dont like it because the collars on the shirts are slightly wrong , kids who are just mod wannabees love it and copy those slightly wrong clothes .

my own point of view is that they wouldnt have reckoned on it still being talked about thirty years later and what they done with a cast of unknowns on a limited budget is fantastic from a film point of view . i could fill a forum with how some of the background detail is wrong etc etc but i dont think you should just view the film that way .

theres an interview in a scooter magazine with the man who supplied the 4 silver vespas for the film ,apparently the film co came in to his shop [ cos it was nearest ] and wanted 4 60's vespa gs 's [which would have been authentic ],he said there wasnt time to source such machines in the time frame he had been given [ like yesterday ] so they just pointed to four other vespas and said they'll do then ..... like i say they wouldnt have thought people would still be talking about it 30 years later and analysing things frame by frame like some do

Liked
    100 times
    I'm not sure that there was any definite musical taste amongst the Mods of that time. We certainly liked black music, specifically Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Don Covay and most of the Motown stuff but individual tastes did vary a lot, I certainly liked the Stones but most of our time was spent at the Flamingo club in Wardour Street where regulars were Georgie Fame, John Mayall and Rod Stewart.

We never went anywhere unless there was a live band playing but I think there may have been a distinction between Northern Mods and London Mods. We were lucky enough to have a lot of live acts doing the circuit in the south and it wasn't until a bit later that Northern Soul took off and bands like Geno Washington started venturing north of Watford.
    i'd have loved to have been around at that period!

Liked
    0 times

You are quite right there Mr H, I too was into live act's and all of the clubs in Edinburgh had bands on, I saw The Who The Kinks, The Small Faces, Geno Washington, Jimmy James And The Vagabonds in the space of one year at our local club McGoos, resident bands also had a big following in various clubs and to this day I love a live band but the music played by them nowadays is not to my taste apart from perhaps a blues band.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    It's impossible to discuss mods and music without mentioning Guy Stevens - mod deejay supreme. For those that weren't there at the time and are interested in authenticity I strongly suggest the Sue Records complilations issued on CD by Ace.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy bentley
    It's impossible to discuss mods and music without mentioning Guy Stevens - mod deejay supreme. For those that weren't there at the time and are interested in authenticity I strongly suggest the Sue Records complilations issued on CD by Ace.
    Agreed, I know people who knew him and he was so far ahead of his time with knowledge of soul music, it's a pity there isn't a book about him, others have came and gone such as Dave Godin but Stevens remains number one in many people's eyes

Liked
    2 times
    Following on from my original post I would like to hear from 60's Mods some details of what sort of clothes they used to wear.

To give you an idea of the 'gear' I wore at the time; Hair, short, razor cut, I used to travel 15 miles to a Mod barber in Richmond , Surrey to get my hair cut.

Casual wear was a Fred Perry polo shirt or a Ben Sherman button down. Levi, parallel, jeans. Shoes, do I remember suede desert boots or was that a bad dream? Hush Puppies and bowling shoes, acquired at Streatham Bowl by handing in a tatty pairs of shoes and walking out with a pristine pair of bowling shoes.

Smart dress would be a 3 button mohair or silk suit with a white American Ivy League style button down shirt and a narrow silk tie. Of course there was also the obligatory silk handkerchief in the suit jacket pocket. Shoes were usually Italian jobs bought at Raoul as was mentioned earlier.

It all seems a bit vacuous now but we certainly enjoyed ourselves at the time. I think that this was probably the first post war generation that were mostly in work and had plenty of disposable income

Anyway, what did you wear?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast