Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    A friend has asked me to try and find a film he saw some years ago but can only remember one scene. He thinks the film was in black and white and involved a firework fight between two groups/gangs of men on London rooftops, using roman candles, rockets etc . Anyone have any ideas? All help much appreciated.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='walkingdude']A friend has asked me to try and find a film he saw some years ago but can only remember one scene. He thinks the film was in black and white and involved a firework fight between two groups/gangs of men on London rooftops, using roman candles, rockets etc . Anyone have any ideas? All help much appreciated.
    Are you sure it was B&W?

There's a firework fight in Mary Poppins (1964)

Although that isn't much of a "fight", it's quite one sided.

After the chimney sweep dance, Admiral Boom (Reginald Owen) thinks they're being invaded and sets off a load of fireworks and signal rockets which whizz past them as they jump back down the chimneys

Steve

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Cheers for the suggestion Steve, exactly the same answer I gave him when he asked me. He's adamant that it was black and white though but thanks anyway..

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Not in black and white, not in London, but THE WHOLE SHEBANG (2001) is a little New Jersey film about a family famous for their fireworks. When one of them is killed in an accident, they get cousin Stanley Tucci in from the Italian side of the family to help out. The film's end is a climatic fireworks competition in Italy among ancient rival family businesses. Big scene, great fireworks and a good demonstration that no theatre is big enough to duplicate real fireworks - film and theatres simply can't overcome their limits compared to the whole sky.

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I know this thread is ancient, but I arrived here looking for this exact same film. It is black and white, it was probably from 1950 (ish) and had two men (I don't recall it being two gangs, I believe it was two men). They were on the roof of a building, firing Roman candles at each other like guns. They may also have used rockets, but I particularly recall them hiding behind structures (possibly chimneys or air ducting flues) and firing large Roman candles which werenheld in their hands atbone another. I saw this film when I was aprox 11 and I'm 42 now so some time has passed since it was on TV. One man was trying to escape from the other - there may have been a couple of persuing men now I think about it but I'm hazy on that. I can only think it was a factory they were on the roof of and either a firework display was set up (hence the fireworks being there) or that it was a firework factory, but that's unlikely... What I do recall is that these fireworks were in cardboard boxes, not packaging boxes, just big boxes. It all seemed a bit weird but my memory is probably very warped after all this time. Anyone have any idea? It certainly wasn't Mary Poppins and it was definately an old film even in 1983 or so when it was on TV.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    I think Trouble in Store has a firework fight but not on a rooftop.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    Mind you with the noise coming through my garden window at this moment I think they must be showing that film in next door's garden !!!!!!