Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay, here's the scoop, boys and girls. This isn't the Malpas Mystery, because Ronald Howard is clearly a good ten years younger here than he was when he made that, in 1960. I have Malpas Mystery. He's older and a tad thicker around the middle in that.

To Penfold, who suggested "No Time For Comedy"; that's precisely what I was thinking it was, though for me it was merely a process of elimination. I would surely love to find that. Any leads?

Ruth

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    name='jazzylady']To Penfold, who suggested "No Time For Comedy"; that's precisely what I was thinking it was, though for me it was merely a process of elimination. I would surely love to find that. Any leads?

Ruth

The only reference books I can think of that might have any relevance are the monumental Kaleidoscope Publishing :: Books :: BBC Drama Guide Kaleidoscope Drama Guides, which not only give fuull cast and crew details but also archive holdings...the British Film Institute Library holds copies, I guess the British Library would too....but Stateside??

Options may be a forum called The Mausoleum Club, an august body that does for archive TV what this site does for British films..many people who contribute have the guides and might look it up for you. However, the site seems to be down at the mo...so perhaps an email to the BFI Library and see if someone will look it up for you..they may charge you though.

I have to say though, that the synopsis for 'No Time for Comedy' doesn't really match the still either....so it could be a wild goose chase as far as the pic is concerned. But Hey, he's in it and you dont have it.....

Happy hunting!!

Liked
    0 times
    Do you mean the synopsis for No Time doesn't suggest a scene such as the one in the photo? Perhaps...but as others have pointed out, it could be a publicity still, or a playful moment during rehearsals.

I wish BFI would make a few of their resources available for British film enthusiasts on this side of the pond.

Ruth

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Have you got any pictures you can post from 'The Malpas Mystery'? After all this intrigue I would love to see something from it!

I am still not convinced it's from 'No Time for Comedy' .... to me the spanker just doesn't look like Jean-Pierre Aumont.

Bats.

Liked
    255 times
    oops.

Liked
    0 times
    And you know what Bats...You're right. It's NOT from No Time For Comedy.

I just now asked the person who sent me this image of its origin. Check this out, from the same year "No Time For Comedy" was made:

Photo HILDY PARKS, RONALD HOWARD, MARTIN RUDY "To Dorot - (eBay item 290159364795 end time Sep-16-07 18:14:43 PDT)

Liked
    255 times
    Fantastic ..... so it was a stage play. The film version of To Dorothy A Son was made in 1954.

Here is a link to the film version ... To Dorothy a Son (1954).

What a great thread this has been .... if you have any more queries, why don't you post them in Name That Film, 'cos this has been as much fun as any of those.

Bats.

ps - I love your Ronald Howard site.

Liked
    0 times
    Thank you! Creating and maintaining it has given me a great deal of pleasure.

Ruth

Senior Member Country: Vietnam hankoler's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    not an early tv version of "smack the pony " then !

Liked
    255 times
    name='hankoler']not an early tv version of "smack the pony " then !

Perhaps we should start calling you 'Spankoler' .

Bats.

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I met Alan Tilvern in the 1960's, he was a lifelong friend of an Uncle of mine. He had a great face for Hammer Films but was overlooked. Really enjoyed him in Siege of Pinchgut and Chase a Crooked Shadow. Lovely fellow and good actor, he really deserved a more prominent career.

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Could the spanker be Stanley Baker? Looks very similar to me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12