Liked
    0 times
    Just joined your forum, have a question about the movie Dambusters. Watched it last night with my son. Had as much of an impact upon him as it did me, at the same age.

But one scene I vividly remember from childhood was missing. That of the cars being washed away, after the successful breach.

Or am I just being delusional?

thanks.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I saw Dambusters recently too and I don't recall a scene with cars washed away, although there is a scene in a railyard with railway carriages being hit by the tsunami. Could that be it?

R

Liked
    0 times
    No, this was a long shot of a car racing ahead of the water, and being swept up in it, as it rushed down the valley. It stood out, vividly, for a 10-year-old, who had been cheering for the dambusters at the time. There was a quiet moment in the plane, as well, I believe.

jim

Liked
    0 times
    OK Jim, I'll check my copy when I get home this evening and unless anyone's posted the answer I'll let you know,

Cheers,

R

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    I remember that scene too. The car had its headlights on and was then lost in the torrent.

Nick

Liked
    0 times
    I remember that scene too. The car had its headlights on and was then lost in the torrent.

Nick
    Yes, that's the scene I'm thinking of.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes, I seem to recall something like that from watching it years ago. I don't think it's in the main breach sequence (where you'd expect it) on the the copy I have. You see the breach of the second dam, then there are images of racing water, a locomotive is overwhelmed, factories flooded and workers race up ladders to safety. Then Lancs begin to land. May be it's earlier or later, or in the trailer? Or was it cut? Didn't have a chance to check yet.

R

Liked
    0 times
    just checked the movie and trailer - no car, just the locomotive. The disc is from the British War Movies collection - a bit streaked and speckled - and runs for 120 min. Is there another version out there?

Liked
    0 times
    just checked the movie and trailer - no car, just the locomotive. The disc is from the British War Movies collection - a bit streaked and speckled - and runs for 120 min. Is there another version out there?
    Well, my memory serves me well enough, again. It was definitely cut from the Netflix movie I recently watched. At least one other person remembers the scene, so I couldn't possibly have made it up in my head.

I could see how the British War Movies collection would want to edit that part out. As a historian and cinima buff, I find it very interesting, all around.

Thanks, folks.

jim