Thread: Zodiac

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Everyone - a retro TV series which seems to have vanished completely into the aether is the off-beat detective Zodiac, staring Anouska Hempel and Anton Rogers. Even their respective entries on Wikipedia don't seem to mention it! Now, I personally thought it was a really great little (only 6 episodes, I think) series, and it would be good to find it again should anyone have access to any of it please let me know

with thanks

Tony

Rogers plays the detective, Hempel the astrologer who helps him solve the crimes, Ellery Queen style. In the first episode, Rogers knocks at her door. She opens it and he hands her a card at her - which we take to be his warrant card - whilst walking in without being invited. She looks at it carefully and says wryly "this is an 'access' card!" (for those under 50, 'access' was the trade name for mastercard in the UK at the time). Rogers "well, it got me in, didn't it?". Rogers and Hempel enjoy a "will they won't they" relationship throughout the series akin to McNee and Rigg's Avengers

Senior Member Country: UK SwingingLondon's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I remember this show...must have been about 1974.

I think I was briefly in love with Anouska Hempel.

All I remember, apart from her beauty, is that she wore lots of bracelets that jangled ( I was only 10!)

Only six episodes?

If you could find out which channel made it they may have a copy they can lend you (at a price).

You might try 'phoning the BFI for a lead.

Senior Member Country: UK image45's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='SwingingLondon']I remember this show...must have been about 1974.

I think I was briefly in love with Anouska Hempel.

All I remember, apart from her beauty, is that she wore lots of bracelets that jangled ( I was only 10!)

Only six episodes?

If you could find out which channel made it they may have a copy they can lend you (at a price).

You might try 'phoning the BFI for a lead.

Umless it the BBC then you would get no help from them at all

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Well, in the four years since this thread started, Network have released it on DVD...and very enjoyable it is too, although if it has a main fault it's that the actual crimes being solved seem to take secondary importance in the plot to the sarcasm, bonhomie and banter between Rogers and Miss Hempel, to say nothing of the lady's outfits and taste in interior decor. One will also notice that like many ITV productions of the period, most of the budget seems to have gone on the actors so there's almost no location work and lots of studio-bound shots. ROCK FOLLIES also suffered from this problem, making it all appear rather "stagey"- but then again, it kind of befitted the subject matter more than it did here.

Still, I don't see why there wasn't a second series of this- although, considering that Hempel is yet another one of those actresses who stopped work altogether once she married a rich older man (cf Vanessa Howard, Alison Elliott), it was more or less doomed from the get-go anyway....