Thread: Latin Quarter

Liked
    0 times
    Can anyone help with a copy either video or dvd of this 1946 film starring Derrick de Marney and Joan Greenwood? It would appear that some USA websites have it for sale but I assume, I cannot play them on British video and dvd players or am I wrong about this?

I'd appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks Maralyn

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I have this one. It's also known as Frenzy.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Maralyn']Can anyone help with a copy either video or dvd of this 1946 film starring Derrick de Marney and Joan Greenwood? It would appear that some USA websites have it for sale but I assume, I cannot play them on British video and dvd players or am I wrong about this?

I'd appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks Maralyn
    If your player be it VHS or DVD has the logo NTSC on it then it can play alla merican videos.Alternatively you may be able to play the DVDs on your PC

Liked
    0 times
    name='orpheum']If your player be it VHS or DVD has the logo NTSC on it then it can play alla merican videos.Alternatively you may be able to play the DVDs on your PC

Thanks so very much Orpheum for this advice I'm not terribly good on this sort of thing. I've checked my players and do have NTSC included so I will know for the future that I can try the US market.

Bless You!

Maralyn

Liked
    0 times
    name='MarcMorris']I have this one. It's also known as Frenzy.

Dear MarcMorris

Do you mean we could discuss you kindly copying this for me? Is it a video or a DVD? Look forward to hearing from you either by this forum or please send me a private message.

Thanks

Maralyn

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Maralyn']Thanks so very much Orpheum for this advice I'm not terribly good on this sort of thing. I've checked my players and do have NTSC included so I will know for the future that I can try the US market.

Bless You!

Maralyn

Most PAL equipment sold in most of the rest of the world outside the US of A can play films in the NTSC format that the Americans use. It's harder for NTSC equipment to be able to play films in the PAL format. It is possible, but it's harder so tends to be only available on some systems.

The other thing to consider is if you buy DVDs. These have "region coding" which is meant to restrict the playing of them to the region where they are bought. But many DVD players can easily get around this as well. Either by entering a code from the remote or the better ones do it automagically

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']Most PAL equipment sold in most of the rest of the world outside the US of A can play films in the NTSC format that the Americans use. It's harder for NTSC equipment to be able to play films in the PAL format. It is possible, but it's harder so tends to be only available on some systems.

The other thing to consider is if you buy DVDs. These have "region coding" which is meant to restrict the playing of them to the region where they are bought. But many DVD players can easily get around this as well. Either by entering a code from the remote or the better ones do it automagically

Steve

Thanks Steve

All this advice will help to ensure I don't make any silly purchases as it's so easy to get excited about a film which is hard to get in this country and go blasting in and paying money down the drain.

Best Wishes

Maralyn

p.s I'm so sorry! I only recently noticed your message to me about the bank hols "Canterbury Tale" walks. You must think me very rude. Know I haven't been on one of yours although, I did visit Chilham myself years ago as a pilgrimage for the film. I had just volunteered to do a one day fast that day for a charity and I was a bit tired walking around with a very empty tummy! I don't drive and it's a bit far now I'm in Hampshire (I lived in Kent then) but if I can twist my husbands arm to take me,sometime in the future, I'll be sure to let you know. I have Paul Tritton's wonderful book about the film which is so great to have for any Powell & Pressburger fan especially those who love "A Canterbury Tale".

Liked
    418 times
    name='Maralyn']Thanks Steve

All this advice will help to ensure I don't make any silly purchases as it's so easy to get excited about a film which is hard to get in this country and go blasting in and paying money down the drain.

Best Wishes

Maralyn

p.s I'm so sorry! I only recently noticed your message to me about the bank hols "Canterbury Tale" walks. You must think me very rude. Know I haven't been on one of yours although, I did visit Chilham myself years ago as a pilgrimage for the film. I had just volunteered to do a one day fast that day for a charity and I was a bit tired walking around with a very empty tummy! I don't drive and it's a bit far now I'm in Hampshire (I lived in Kent then) but if I can twist my husbands arm to take me,sometime in the future, I'll be sure to let you know. I have Paul Tritton's wonderful book about the film which is so great to have for any Powell & Pressburger fan especially those who love "A Canterbury Tale".
    That's all right, they're not compulsory, just good fun

But you did miss your chance to be on TV. The cameras were following us - again.

Put it in your diary for next year. August bank holiday Sunday, somewhere near Canterbury.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    name='Steve Crook']That's all right, they're not compulsory, just good fun

But you did miss your chance to be on TV. The cameras were following us - again.

Put it in your diary for next year. August bank holiday Sunday, somewhere near Canterbury.

Steve

The secrecy is because all the road signs have been removed to confuse the enemy.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Fellwanderer']The secrecy is because all the road signs have been removed to confuse the enemy.
    And Chillingbourne can't be found on any maps - but we know where it is

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']That's all right, they're not compulsory, just good fun

Steve

Thanks Steve for the lovely message and the link to BBC interview it was A/ Lovely to see such a high profile interest in the film and the people involved on the trip. B/ To put a face to you the man who without all your efforts we would not all be able to chat away about British films and especially beloved Emeric and Mickey!

Best Wishes

Maralyn

Liked
    418 times
    name='Maralyn']Thanks Steve for the lovely message and the link to BBC interview it was A/ Lovely to see such a high profile interest in the film and the people involved on the trip. B/ To put a face to you the man who without all your efforts we would not all be able to chat away about British films and especially beloved Emeric and Mickey!

Best Wishes

Maralyn
    Thanks for the applause, but I can't take any credit for this BritMovie site, that goes to the other Steve (DB7). I just help out here. I mainly run the PaPAS site and the email list behind it. Not that they need much management, they are a very nice bunch of people and I rarely have any trouble from them.

Steve

Liked
    1 times
    name='Maralyn']Thanks Steve

If you're not sure how to make your DVD machine play Region 1 (US, that is) discs, go to Google and key in the make and model number of your machine followed by the word 'hack'. In most cases you will be able to find instructions on how to convert your player.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Lord Brett']If you're not sure how to make your DVD machine play Region 1 (US, that is) discs, go to Google and key in the make and model number of your machine followed by the word 'hack'. In most cases you will be able to find instructions on how to convert your player.

Thanks Brett

You are all such nice and helpful people on this website.

Maralyn

Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']Thanks for the applause, but I can't take any credit for this BritMovie site, that goes to the other Steve (DB7). I just help out here. I mainly run the PaPAS site and the email list behind it. Not that they need much management, they are a very nice bunch of people and I rarely have any trouble from them.

Steve

Thanks Steve for putting me right about who's who on the management of this site. And apologies to the other Steve (Db7) if he's seen my messages as what I said will not only be applied to you, but to him. I have now arranged to get a copy of Latin Quarter through Marcmorris from this forum so I'm once again a happy woman to get a response so quickly from other members.

Maralyn

Liked
    0 times
    Hi folks.

Please pm me with your email if you can help.

Thanks in advance.

hh

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello Helen -

I have a good copy of this one - a neglected, macabre gem.

Stephen Laws

The Midnight Man: The Official Website of the author Stephen Laws