Thread: sewers of paris

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I have just had a memory flash of a b/w film I watched many years ago prob in the 50s some of the scenes were in the sewers of Paris as people were hiding down there it was quite frightening not much to go on I am afraid, a brit film as I saw it at the cinema

Liked
    2 times
    name='marker']I have just had a memory flash of a b/w film I watched many years ago prob in the 50s some of the scenes were in the sewers of Paris as people were hiding down there it was quite frightening not much to go on I am afraid, a brit film as I saw it at the cinema

If you said Warsaw it would be Kanal (1957) which had a general release in the UK.

D.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I thought of Kanal but, as you said Dylan, it's not set in Paris.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    It could have been Le Trou (The Hole) based on a true story, and a fantastic prison break film. One of the stars actually played himself, who had taken part in the real event. If you haven't seen it, you should, it is utterly gripping and is stunning in black & white.

I think it was made by Jacques Becker, who was responsible for some great films in the 1940s and 50s. This is one of the great French crime films and is available on DVD.

Liked
    0 times
    name='dylan']If you said Warsaw it would be Kanal (1957) which had a general release in the UK.

D.

well I dont think its kanal but I had not thought of other releases over here my problem is I can only remember a few scenes of it I remember an above ground scene showing a sort of funny small building with posters on the outside walls and a door leading to the sewers. another scene is of the sewers all gushing over sort of waterfalls, quite frankly I only remembered the film it as it frightened me

Of course if I got the right film and watched it I would instantly reconise the scene I remember I may have to try your suggestions

Senior Member Country: Scotland silverwhistle's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    The main story I can think of that involves the sewers of Paris is Les Mis�rables, of which there have been several versions. The b/w ones are from the 1930s: a French one starring Harry Baur, and a Hollywood one with Frederic March and Charles Laughton.

Liked
    2 times
    Another film about the Paris sewers:

Charlie Chan in Paris (1935) - Plot summary

Charlie's visit to Paris, ostensibly a vacation, is really a mission to investigate a bond-forgery racket. But his agent, apache dancer Nardi is killed before she can tell him much. The case, complicated by a false murder accusation for banker's daughter Yvette, climaxes with a strange journey through the Paris sewers.

D.