Thread: The Ghost Train

Liked
    0 times
    My dad and I used to watch Arthur Askey on weekend afternoons on the TV. The Ghost Train was my favourite of his. My God he was short! I wonder if his glasses really had lenses in them? Boy, those were the days.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    yep...i liked the ghost train ,written by godfrey off of dads army...sorry cant think of his name...im yet to get it on dvd......didnt mr askey appear in one of those shitty confession films in the 70s..dreadful mistake surely he must have regretted....them film were pure crap....loved arthur though.....

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Rosie Dixon - Night Nurse.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joenoir
    Rosie Dixon - Night Nurse.
    Which one of my old drama teachers also appeared in...

Arnold Ridley wrote THE GHOST TRAIN; the recent theatrical revival was great fun.

Smudge

Senior Member Country: Vietnam hankoler's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Arthur Askey sometimes appearred with his daughter Anthea i think.

Liked
    151 times
    Apart from The Ghost Train I find Askey (and Formby) films rather tedious and they've not aged as well as those of Will Hay or Gordon Harker.

Liked
    0 times
    I tend to agree with DB7's comments. Askey needed a live audience, and Formby needed his ukulele in his hand all the time! The latter's songs are still enjoyable. As for Harker, I am rediscovering his films, and what a pleasure that is!

Liked
    0 times
    I think we have to remember that a lot of these guys stepped into film from vaudville or radio.

Not making excuses for them, but If my dad was still alive and we watched Arthur Askey again together I think we'd have a good laugh. Why? ..... because Arthur, me and my Dad and you and you are all sharing those precious moments together.

....hmmm I miss my Dad, .. might pop old Arthur on.

Liked
    0 times
    I agree with you also, boilerboy, I did like Arthur Askey and I can still gain pleasure from watching his films, but I think some of it is because of my memories of watching him with my family in the 1950s & 1960s.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DB7
    Apart from The Ghost Train I find Askey (and Formby) films rather tedious and they've not aged as well as those of Will Hay or Gordon Harker.
    I think that is because essentially they were character actors, despite Hay having Music Hall roots, and therefore fitted into conventional film narratives quite easily. Hay's first films were in fact Pinero adaptations. I also feel that where Hay has a real advantage over Formby watching his films now is that there was never any attempt at romantic sub-plots and escapades in Hay's films which in Formby's films now look desperately dated and coy. Hay's films are pure character based character comedy.

When it comes to Askey, looking at The Ghost Train a few years ago I can only reiterate another Britmovie comment that he comes across like an irritating pest who needs walloping. Murdoch is actually quite a good light comic actor. Indeed he worked to the end of days as such - Rumpole, Mr Majeilka, Just A Minute et al - I even saw at Billingham Forum towards the end of his life in An Ideal Husband as the Earl of Caversham, and very good he was to. The one Askey film I have any affection for is one of the films he made in the '50s when presumably TV revived his profile - The Love Match. He seems to have calmed down a bit by then and is abley supported by Thora Hird, Robb Wilton, Shirley Eaton and the man Ronnie Barker said taught him everything about performing - Glenn Melvyn

Liked
    0 times
    I saw The Love Match recently and thought it an odd little film. It did betray its stage origins, and there was several nods to Askey's, then current, television popularity. However, as Windthrop mentions, there was good support from Hird, Danny Ross, Wilton, Melvyn and Patricia Hayes.

Liked
    0 times
    I agree with that .On tv Askey or on stage Askey wasnt too bad but on film he was a bore and his films have aged badly.I once did the conveyancing on a flat he once owned near Lancaster Gate.

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Always tuned into the radio show "Bandwagon" in 1940 featuring Arthur Askey and Richard "Stinker" Murdoch; this turned Arthur into one of my favourite characters. I recall queueing at our local fleapit some time later to see "The Ghost Train" but due to enemy action, the film did not turn up and I only watched it very many years later on TV! Incidentally I saw "The Love Match" during my National Service when the "Evington" cinema Manager in Leicester gave out some complimentary Tickets - the Evington which today is, I think a Tescos. Other contributors have not mentioned the film also starred William Franklyn.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Gaumont Cinema in Liverpool had its foyer converted into a ticket office for the film.

photo from

http://liverpoolpicturebook.blogspot...ty-centre.html
    Last edited by Freddy; 21-06-12 at 10:06 PM.