Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    i read somewhere that they never got permission to set fire to the car at the end and they all had to leg it before the fire brigade and the real police arrived .

anyone know if thats true ?

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davidb
    i read somewhere that they never got permission to set fire to the car at the end and they all had to leg it before the fire brigade and the real police arrived .

anyone know if thats true ?
    I heard that one too. I think I heard it on one of the documentaries about Michael Reeves. I have the prism DVD release of The Sorcerers so it could be on one of the extras there if not it might be on the Witchfinder General DVD.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I recall hearing it too. Incidentally the same documentary ("Blood Beast: The Films of Michael Reeves") appears on both Sorcerers/Witchfinder DVD's.

Senior Member Country: UK quippy's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    This is how Ian Ogilvy describes it in The Remarkable Michael Reeves by John B. Murray

"The blowing up of the car at the end of Sorcerers was absolutely illegal and we were very nearly arrested for it. Because we'd never asked permission for this. We'd just found this building site, derelict site in Notting Hill, and we got a little bulldozer to push the car over, and that was that. Then the special effects guy came in and rigged it all up with explosives and we had three cameras on it, including my 16mm camera, and we blew it, and he'd left all the petrol in the petrol tank! He'd forgotten! So that explosion is big and the special effects man went white and got in his car and just drove away, leaving us there saying 'Wa-hey! What a great bang!' Then 'ee-ee, ee-ee, ee-ee'...five fire engines, police cars, everybody's taking names. Mike Reeves was virtually arrested, certainly Arnie Miller had to go to the police station. Oh, it was terrible! But all that stuff, we never got permission to shoot it. We just stole it. 'Anybody looking now? Okay, go and shoot!' All of them."

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    those were the days eh ? i dont think they would get away with anything like that now

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    I thought this was a great film. Catherine Lacey was very sinister and very good. It was rare to feel sorry for Boris Karloff in a horror film! I'm not used to that.

Ian Ogilvy impressed me very much in that film, as did Victor Henry. I don't think it can have been long after this film was released that he had his terrible accident.

I also love to see Ivor Dean playing his typical Inspector Large/Inspector Teal type role. Nobody does it better.

Wellendcanons.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I only watched the last few minutes of BBC2's showing but have seen the film before, on ITV in the early hours some years ago. It was funny watching Ivor Dean reprise his Inspector role in a film, but I have to say I was a bit upset to see young Ian Ogilvy, looking great in glorious colour, as I instantly realised this would have been filmed not long before/after his appearance in Half Hour Story, which I recently learned, from our Glyn, is another lost treasure. More details at the 'Lost ITV Plays' thread ...

Why was the DVD "discontinued by the manufacturer", I wonder?

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    Interesting bit of 60's nostalgia.I thought that the plot could have worked equally as well as an episode of the Avengers.My gas bill is scarier.

Nonetheless I recorded it and would watch it again at some point.Nice to see the Beeb showing some old horrors in the early hours .How about some hammers though.

Liked
    0 times
    I loved the music in the Scorcerers.The female singer who was singing,and who got strangled in the back alley,was: Toni Daly ( Antoinette Daly ).The band were: Lee Grant and the Capitols.

Toni Daly's ( Antoinette Daly ) name was Dani Sheridan,and she is the mother of Nicolette Sheridan from Desperate Housewives.She is now known as Toni Baxter and sings in her husbands jazz band.

The songs in the film were called: Your Love and Sweet Nothing.

Here is a bit of info about Toni Baxter,the singer

Between the ages of 13 and 15, British singer Antoinette (later known as Toni Daly) recorded half a dozen singles, none of which were hits. But the quality of her recordings has ensured her a lasting popularity with fans of 1960s British girl pop.

She was born Marie Antoinette Daly (what were her parents thinking?) in Southend, Essex, on England’s east coast.

She landed her first recording contract, with the Decca label, in 1964, at the age of just 13. Her debut single, Jenny let him go, was produced by Charles Blackwell, who worked with a number of gems for girl singers of the period, including French y�-y� singer Fran�oise Hardy*and Britain’s Samantha Jones. It sounded like a cover of an American song – albeit with a distinctly British tang – and suited Antoinette’s bratty vocals perfectly.

Antoinette switched to the Piccadilly label for her next single, the Britgirl classic There he goes (the boy I love), released in September 1964. The song, with its

Shangri-Las-esque feel, had been written by Blackwell and, arguably, was one of his very best compositions. (The

B-side, Little things mean a lot, was an updating of one-hit-wonder Kitty Kallen’s 1954 US chart topper.)

When it also flopped, Piccadilly turned to the US for inspiration. First up was the Sapphires’ Thank you for loving me, which was selected for the Antoinette treatment in 1965. In the hands of another singer, the song could have ended up needing to be issued with a diabetic warning, but Antoinette’s vocals managed to keep it from becoming too sickly sweet. (The B-side, If you really love me, has its fans too.)

It was followed by Our house*and then by a version of a US soul hit, Tami Lynn’s I’m gonna run away from you, retitled Why don’t I run away from you. It fitted Antoinette’s effervescent style. (The song was written by Bert Berns, the man behind much of Lulu’s early material, and was issued in direct competition with a version by future star Kiki Dee, also without success.)

Antoinette issued a version of US girl group the Poppies’ Lullaby of love*as her final single for Piccadilly in 1966. The equally good – if not better – I’m for you, a cover of Carla Thomas’ soul number, was hidden on the reverse.

Antoinette switched labels again, this time to Columbia, for one further release in 1966, Like the big man said*(a cover of Italian singer Caterina Caselli's L'uomo d'oro), under the name Toni Daly. When it failed, her contract slipped.

She is still performing today, back in Southend, though she now concentrates on jazz and goes by her married name, Toni Baxter.

I got the above info from readysteadygirls website.

Liked
    10 times
    Also interesting to note that Dani Sheridan as she was known back then released a single in the UK in February 1966 on the rare Planet label. The A side was called Guess I'm Dumb written by the Beach Boys and the b-side was called Songs of Love.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fraguela View Post
    Also interesting to note that Dani Sheridan as she was known back then released a single in the UK in February 1966 on the rare Planet label. The A side was called Guess I'm Dumb written by the Beach Boys and the b-side was called Songs of Love.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnl0hRNnpao

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Marvellous little film, only the sequence with Ogilvy being programmed being to me a dud.

Lacey, despite hating the job, is astounding. The capturing of London at the time is great and Toni Baxter is so gorgeous!

There's something of Michael Powell about it and it in some ways explores the experience of violence by proxy as a cinema audience. Never tire of it. Wonderfully seedy and bleak. Also while not exactly representative of the great Victor Henry's work it is valuable for having him captured on screen just before a fatal accident destroyed his career. As a stage actor he was probably the most dangerous and unhinged Britain ever produced.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    John Burke wrote the novel from which the film was derived.

He also wrote two volumes of stories based on Hammer films and a novel derived from the Amicus film, �Dr Terrors House of Horrors�.
    Burke was a story editor at Fox - this is probably why he got the novelisation job for the Hammer Films as they were released by Fox in the US. Sorcerors was I believe the first film made by Tony Tenser's Tigon Films after he left Compton. Sorcerors was originally called The Devil's Disciple and was on Compton's production schedule originally but after Tenser left the company in late 1966 surviving producer Michael klinger wasn't able to do anything with it and it went bust. Tigon then picked up Devil's Disciple; my understanding from a Karloff biog is that Reeves approached Karloff directly who agreed to do it as long as the script was re-written to make his character more sympathetic. The budget was about �50k of which about �10k plus was Karloff's salary.

Liked
    10 times
    Almost a year later on 27 January 1967 a singer called Johnny Wells released another version of Guess I'm Dumb on the Parlophone label. It peaked at number 37 on the Radio London FAB 40 chart on 5 February 1967.

Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer View Post
    Almost a year later on 27 January 1967 a singer called Johnny Wells released another version of Guess I'm Dumb on the Parlophone label. It peaked at number 37 on the Radio London FAB 40 chart on 5 February 1967.

Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pye View Post
    Marvellous little film, only the sequence with Ogilvy being programmed being to me a dud.

Lacey, despite hating the job, is astounding. The capturing of London at the time is great and Toni Baxter is so gorgeous!

There's something of Michael Powell about it and it in some ways explores the experience of violence by proxy as a cinema audience. Never tire of it. Wonderfully seedy and bleak. Also while not exactly representative of the great Victor Henry's work it is valuable for having him captured on screen just before a fatal accident destroyed his career. As a stage actor he was probably the most dangerous and unhinged Britain ever produced.
    Here is a lobby card showing Boris Karloff & Catherine Lacey introducing Ian Ogilvy to the programming machine.

The Sorcerers_Lobby Card_1.jpg

Liked
    10 times
    From my collection of quad posters here is the UK quad poster for The Sorcerers

The Sorcerers_Quad Poster_1967.jpg

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    [Sorcerors was I believe the first film made by Tony Tenser's Tigon Films after he left Compton. Sorcerors was originally called The Devil's Disciple and was on Compton's production schedule originally but after Tenser left the company in late 1966 surviving producer Michael klinger wasn't able to do anything with it and it went bust. Tigon then picked up Devil's Disciple.[/QUOTE]

Are you getting confused with The Devil's Discord which as a Reeves film optioned by Compton and later by Tigon but never made? The Sorcerors came to Tigon via Stanley Long's outfit and was never part of the Compton set-up. By then Tenser had made Mini Weekend, the first film post-Compton produced under the banner of Tony Tenser Films which later changed its name to Tigon; I am pretty sure (but I'd have to double check) The Sorcerors started its life as a Tony Tenser Film before the name change.

Klinger didn't do too badly, Compton only made one more film, The Penthouse, before disappearing in a tidal wave of corporate bickering but he survived all of that to make the likes of Get Carter, Shout at the Devil and Confessions of a Window Cleaner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12