Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Odessa File

Liked
    0 times
    What a good film!

I really liked it a lot and I have never heard of it before someone on the forum mentioned it.

"After reading the diary of an eldery Jewish man who commited suicide, freelance journalist Peter Miller begins to investigate the alleged sighting of a former SS-Captain who commanded a concentration camp during World War II. Miller eventually finds himself involved with the powerful organization of former SS members, called ODESSA, as well as with the Israeli secret service. Miller probes deeper and eventually discovers a link between the SS-Captain, ODESSA, and his own family."

It was interesting and kept me watching

I'd say 6.5-7.0 out of 10.0 at least

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    You should note that it was directed by Ronald Neame and written by Kenneth Ross (The Day of the Jackel, etc) and George Markstein (The Prisoner, Danger Man, etc) based on the novel by Frederick Forsyth.

This was one of the best done post-war dramas made.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Can anyone remember what type of car he drove, a black soft top. ...perhaps a Mercedes. Looked excellent whatever it was.

Freddy

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    An ancient Mercedes if memory serves. Terrific film and a nice song by Andrew Lloyd-Webber too "Christmas Dream" sung by Perry Como.

Liked
    243 times
    Thanks Harbottle.

What surprise me about the ALW song sung be Perry Como was that we first hear it when Peter Muller is driving the Merc and stops to listen to the news flash of JFK's assassination which puts the date 1963 and that leads me to wonder why Frederick Forsyth who researches his books thoroughly would let that happen, why not have a song from that year and not one written especially for the film (I presume)

best wishes

Freddy

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, the car was a Mercedes - a 220SE.

I think the song was already recorded by Como. The soundtrack incidental music was written by AL-W.

The movie's first night was Nov. 22, 1963.

Liked
    0 times
    The song was especially done for the film and was recorded in 1974.

http://kokomo.ca/cd_review/cd_finder/chris...m_cd_finder.htm

Liked
    243 times
    Thanks for those filmfans,

It is a catchy song and with Perry Como I always think of his Christmas specials on television

Freddy

Liked
    0 times
    I never realised that the Odessa File was a British/German co production so I suppose it can be claimed a a favourite British film. Nice signature tune sung by Perry Como "Christmas Dream" written by Andrew lloyd Webber. Super cast, Jon Voight, Maximilian Schell Maria Schell, Derek Jacobi. The sinister Nazis are superbly played. As always Gunter Meisner plays the role of a Nazi fanatic really well, the scene when he makes his speech in the beer hall is brilliant. Derek Jacobi the nervous forger who is constantly worried about "Mother"

The black and white sequences of the horrors of the concentration camps and the psychopathic brutality of the Camp commandant (Maximilian Schell) is very poignant still.

A good story well filmed and directed.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Redstar
    I never realised that the Odessa File was a British/German co production so I suppose it can be claimed a a favourite British film. Nice signature tune sung by Perry Como "Christmas Dream" written by Andrew lloyd Webber. Super cast, Jon Voight, Maximilian Schell Maria Schell, Derek Jacobi. The sinister Nazis are superbly played. As always Gunter Meisner plays the role of a Nazi fanatic really well, the scene when he makes his speech in the beer hall is brilliant. Derek Jacobi the nervous forger who is constantly worried about "Mother"

The black and white sequences of the horrors of the concentration camps and the psychopathic brutality of the Camp commandant (Maximilian Schell) is very poignant still.

One Ronald Neame's last really fine films before going down the toilet with Meteor

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Redstar

I saw this movie in Stafford when it was first released. I was peniless at the time... and whenever I see it on TV these days it brings back memories of those halcyon(???) days! Just imagine seeing this movie under such circumstances... obviously it made a lasting impression.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop
    One Ronald Neame's last really fine films before going down the toilet with Meteor
    yes I agree "Meteor" was awful, I think Neame must have got that film on the back of "The Posseidon Adventure" another disaster movie that he directed which was very succesfull, I beleive he made a huge amount of money from that one as he had a share of the box office. He did redeem himself the next year I think with "Hopscotch" with Walter Matthau, that was pretty good as I remember. As for"The Odessa File", I haven't seen it for years but I do remember it being a fab film, must go and find a copy and have a look again.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    To some extent, I suppose, the Odessa File is outshone by the first Frederick Forsyth film, The Day of the Jackal. But they are, to my mind, both super movies and excellent adaptations of the novels. Later films from the books of this author did not really live up to the first two. The Fourth Protocol is not bad but The Dogs of War did not really do it for me, either as a book or a film.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph404
    yes I agree "Meteor" was awful, I think Neame must have got that film on the back of "The Posseidon Adventure" another disaster movie that he directed which was very succesfull, I beleive he made a huge amount of money from that one as he had a share of the box office. He did redeem himself the next year I think with "Hopscotch" with Walter Matthau, that was pretty good as I remember. As for"The Odessa File", I haven't seen it for years but I do remember it being a fab film, must go and find a copy and have a look again.

The DVD format is fine for quality but I wish they had kept it in its widescreen format.

Liked
    0 times
    I love the Odessa File and probably just about prefer it to the The Day of the Jackal.

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    The Odessa File
    Channel 5 ... Sunday 3rd July 2011 ... 2.30-5.00pm

Taut thriller based on the Frederick Forsyth novel about a young German reporter's efforts to track down Nazi war criminals in the early 1960s. After reading the diary of a Jewish death-camp survivor, the reporter resolves to bring a former SS officer to justice. However, the officer is protected by a sinister network of former Nazis who are now occupying influential posts in the government, and will stop at nothing to protect their secrets.

Jon Voight, Maximilian Schell, Maria Schell, Mary Tamm, Derek Jacobi, Peter Jeffrey
    Director Ronald Neame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Tz4LUauJE

IMO second best (to The Day of the Jackal) adaptation of a Frederick Forsyth thriller, but still a compelling film ... unfortunately due to the time slot it, will almost certainly be cut.
    I love the opening sequence and Christmas Dream theme music ... composed/written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice and performed by Perry Como. The film's opening credits sequence seems to be unavailable ... but this audio-clip is from the movie soundtrack ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9v3UdqCv0c

Emma
    Last edited by mrs_emma_peel; 28-06-11 at 03:21 AM.

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    I really enjoy this film and have it my collection

Liked
    137 times
    Agreed an excellent film

But of course now I can't get " Christmas Dream " out of my head catchy or what... ?

Senior Member Country: England popeye's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    An excellent film and would be in my "top ten", the christmas song certainly is catchy,

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    It certainly has something about it I think. A good story and a balance in the telling of it that almost seems a lost art.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast