Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Wycliffe

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello everyone I'm a newie and need a little help.



    Does anyone remember the Wycliffe series that was set in Cornwall.

    You can no longer get them on video I have quite a few episodes but I struggeling to get a few can anyone out there help a lady in distress .

    Thankyou all

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,595
    Liked
    255 times
    Welcome Cornishlass.



    I really enjoyed Wycliffe, a very under-rated series.



    Amazon have some VHS copies of Wycliffe listed. Here's a link ...



    Amazon.co.uk: wycliffe: Video



    Bats.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Bats

    Many thanks I've looked on here many times and only came up with books of Wycliffe.

    Between me and a friend now the only one we our both stuck on is On Offer/ Standing stone.



    Just got the 2 I haven't got on amazon .

    So one to go and I've finished

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,595
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornishlass
    Hi Bats

    Many thanks I've looked on here many times and only came up with books of Wycliffe.

    Between me and a friend now the only one we our both stuck on is On Offer/ Standing stone.



    Just got the 2 I haven't got on amazon .

    So one to go and I've finished
    Glad to help.



    Bats.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,



    Does anyone have a copy of Dressing for Breakfast? It was on channel 4 and starred Holly Aird.



    Many Thanks

  6. #6
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    164
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Claire,



    I have all 3 series on DVD.



    PM me if you want copies.



    Dave.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Biffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    120
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Folks!



    I'm looking for the following 'Wycliffe' episode on DVD:-



    "Number of the Beast" from Season 3, Episode 2.



    Does anyone have a copy for sale?



    Many thanks!



    Biffer

  8. #8
    Senior Member Country: England
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    454
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello all! Ahh isn't local knowledge a wonderful thing? As you are all very probably aware "Wycliffe" was filmed in Corwall, but where in Cornwall? Well a couple of locations are - the police H.Q. was filmed in an old Pickfords transport building in Truro, sadly gone , it's now an up-market housing development....and in one episode they were in the town's "red light" district, this(much to the amusement of the locals) is a little lane in Falmouth, with bookshops and the like , which leads to a small pier where the lifeboat station used to be!It turned out to be great fun recognising the locations when the series was first aired, and Jack Shepherd was often seen wandering around the town doing his shopping and getting fed up(like the rest of us) with the Cornish rain!........ now having said that, I feel that Biffer, me old cocker(That's Cornish) I feel you might need a bit of help with the local lingo, so here's a few translations you could find handy.........



    "arite r e" means- how are you?

    "waz she lyke den" means erm- how are you?

    "arite me cock or cocker means ahem- how are you?

    "proper job" means - good!

    "ruff n en" means- the weather's not too good today.

    "thas ave em" means- that's done it or er proper job!

    "got the time on yer cock" really does mean- do you have the time?!

    annnd finally and this is a curious one .."me 'ansome" it generally means- my friend or mate or the like, but beware! It also is used in an arguement i.e." you better not say that again , me'ansome"! ...Go figure! I hope this will be of help if ever you are down this way, oh! and by the way, " Hoh, arrr, me hearties" is not a term I've ever heard ,so you might get "you better not say that again, me 'ansome if you use it!! ta ta for now, Decks.



    P.s. oh and I'm sorry, but I have'nt got the episode yer looking for!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Biffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    120
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deckard
    Hello all! Ahh isn't local knowledge a wonderful thing? As you are all very probably aware "Wycliffe" was filmed in Corwall, but where in Cornwall? Well a couple of locations are - the police H.Q. was filmed in an old Pickfords transport building in Truro, sadly gone , it's now an up-market housing development....and in one episode they were in the town's "red light" district, this(much to the amusement of the locals) is a little lane in Falmouth, with bookshops and the like , which leads to a small pier where the lifeboat station used to be!It turned out to be great fun recognising the locations when the series was first aired, and Jack Shepherd was often seen wandering around the town doing his shopping and getting fed up(like the rest of us) with the Cornish rain!........ now having said that, I feel that Biffer, me old cocker(That's Cornish) I feel you might need a bit of help with the local lingo, so here's a few translations you could find handy.........



    "arite r e" means- how are you?

    "waz she lyke den" means erm- how are you?

    "arite me cock or cocker means ahem- how are you?

    "proper job" means - good!

    "ruff n en" means- the weather's not too good today.

    "thas ave em" means- that's done it or er proper job!

    "got the time on yer cock" really does mean- do you have the time?!

    annnd finally and this is a curious one .."me 'ansome" it generally means- my friend or mate or the like, but beware! It also is used in an arguement i.e." you better not say that again , me'ansome"! ...Go figure! I hope this will be of help if ever you are down this way, oh! and by the way, " Hoh, arrr, me hearties" is not a term I've ever heard ,so you might get "you better not say that again, me 'ansome if you use it!! ta ta for now, Decks.



    P.s. oh and I'm sorry, but I have'nt got the episode yer looking for!!
    Overheard on a BritMovie 'Jolly Boy's Outing':



    DECKARD: Got the time on yer cock?



    BIFFER: No I 'asn't, me'ansome. I wears my watch on me wrist like most normal folks.



    I once came across a series of small paperbacks in a bookshop (bizarrely enough), which were like spoof phrase books for tourists visiting Liverpool; Newcastle; Glasgow; etc, etc. Maybe you could write the Cornish version, Deckard? BTW: shouldn't that be spelt, deck'ard, as in "I's drunk that much scrumpy, I's about to hit the deck'ard - proper job."?



    Pah! Call yourself a Cornish-person (watch out the PC Press-Gang is about) and never heard the phrase, "Hoh-arrrrr, me hearties,"? I wager you've never sailed with Captain 'Black-Jack' Penhale aboard his thirteen-masted pirate barquintine schooner sloop thingy? Why, that was the Captain's favourite catch-phrase whist we was lootin' all them Spanish treasure galleons in olde Hispaniola. By the end of the voyage, EVERYBODY was sayin' it ... no bugger knew what it meant, mind, but we all said it!



    Too bad about the Wycliffe episode, but at least your response gave me a laugh. Thanks anyway.



    Anyone else got it????

  10. #10
    Senior Member Country: England
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    454
    Liked
    0 times
    He-he nice one Biffer! Erm, but to let you into a little secret, I'm not actually Cornish- though I have lived here a long time so,you pick up a few phrases!...and never having actually been on a boat bigger than the St. Mawes ferry( feel queasy looking at big puddles!) I seem to have missed the seafaring lingo, still I imagine "Hoh, arr, me hearties" had somthing to do with consuming copious amounts of rum!!Oh! and by the way...here's a little teaser for ya......any idea what a "grammacell" is? the first correct answer posted will win a picture of a Cornish pasty! Ta ta for now ,Decks.

  11. #11

  12. #12
    Super Moderator Country: England
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,804
    Liked
    7 times
    The stereotypical pirate accent, is of course, Bristolian, or Bristle as she is known...blame Robert Louis Stevenson, who wrote Treasure Island after visiting these parts...mind you, IIRC Edward Teach aka Blackbeard was from hereabouts...

  13. #13
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold
    The stereotypical pirate accent, is of course, Bristolian, or Bristle as she is known...blame Robert Louis Stevenson, who wrote Treasure Island after visiting these parts...mind you, IIRC Edward Teach aka Blackbeard was from hereabouts...
    I thought it was all Robert Newton's fault for his portrayal of Long John Silver in Treasure Island (1950). Most people who impersonate pirates are really impersonating Newton.

    "Arr, Jim lad"



    Steve

  14. #14
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Biffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    120
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deckard
    He-he nice one Biffer! Erm, but to let you into a little secret, I'm not actually Cornish- though I have lived here a long time so,you pick up a few phrases!...and never having actually been on a boat bigger than the St. Mawes ferry( feel queasy looking at big puddles!) I seem to have missed the seafaring lingo, still I imagine "Hoh, arr, me hearties" had somthing to do with consuming copious amounts of rum!!Oh! and by the way...here's a little teaser for ya......any idea what a "grammacell" is? the first correct answer posted will win a picture of a Cornish pasty! Ta ta for now ,Decks.


    Hi Decks,



    'Grammacell' (gra'ma'cell): noun; singular; a room or other place of secure confinement where one incarcerates one's sociopathic grandmother.



    I claims me photo of the pastie!



    Biffer

  15. #15
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Biffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    120
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks, Chevyman. I've put a bid in, so we'll see what happens. Ta!



    Biffer

  16. #16
    Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,465
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffer
    Thanks, Chevyman. I've put a bid in, so we'll see what happens. Ta!



    Biffer
    Here's hoping



    Maybe you get get it transferred to DVD?

  17. #17
    Senior Member Country: England
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    454
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffer
    Hi Decks,



    'Grammacell' (gra'ma'cell): noun; singular; a room or other place of secure confinement where one incarcerates one's sociopathic grandmother.



    I claims me photo of the pastie!



    Biffer
    Ooo, Biffa!, just think of all those poor Grannies waiting for they're tea to be served through the bars!, but no, that's not it....but a very good effort(notwithstanding Granny!) Ok here's a clue, gardeners don't like 'em, but it's not a slug/snail/weed or cat! Go on have another go...the pasty looks delicious!!tata for now, Decks.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Biffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    120
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deckard
    Ooo, Biffa!, just think of all those poor Grannies waiting for they're tea to be served through the bars!, but no, that's not it....but a very good effort(notwithstanding Granny!) Ok here's a clue, gardeners don't like 'em, but it's not a slug/snail/weed or cat! Go on have another go...the pasty looks delicious!!tata for now, Decks.
    NOT a slug, snail, weed or even a cat, eh? Hmmm??? What don't gardeners like ... ? Not enough rain? Too MUCH rain? Other gardeners?



    Grammacell, grammacell .... GOT IT! It's the fallout of gamma radiation after a nuclear explosion! Er ... well ... maybe not.



    OK, here's my final answer - some kind of fungus (perhaps)?



    How's that pastie looking???



    Biffer

  19. #19
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Biffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    120
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyman
    Here's hoping



    Maybe you get get it transferred to DVD?
    Yaaaah! I won it!



    Thanks for the 'tip-off', Chevyman (BTW: my favourite's the '67 Stingray ... er ... that's if you're into Chevrolet cars, and not, Chevy Chase???)



    Biffer

  20. #20
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Biffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    120
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deckard
    Ooo, Biffa!, just think of all those poor Grannies waiting for they're tea to be served through the bars!, but no, that's not it....but a very good effort(notwithstanding Granny!) Ok here's a clue, gardeners don't like 'em, but it's not a slug/snail/weed or cat! Go on have another go...the pasty looks delicious!!tata for now, Decks.
    Now then, Decks, me 'ansome. I's dyin' to know wot this 'ere 'grammacell' is. 'Ows about lettin' us all into the secret ... proper job.



    Hang on! I've just thought of another answer ...



    Q. What's a 'grammacell'?



    A. Anything she thinks them stupid tourists will buy!



    Waiting patiently



    Biffer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. church in Wycliffe--Faith
    By docjohn in forum TV Locations
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-11-11, 10:55 AM
  2. Wycliffe-Faith
    By docjohn in forum TV Locations
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-11, 10:47 PM
  3. two more wycliffe questions!
    By docjohn in forum TV Locations
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-08-10, 10:12 AM
  4. wycliffe title scene
    By docjohn in forum TV Locations
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-10, 05:56 AM
  5. Wycliffe-to sup with the devil
    By docjohn in forum TV Locations
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-10, 02:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts