Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Juliet Bravo

Senior Member Country: Tokelau
    Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']Cheers Modular, the Hazell info is interesting. Do you know why the rights were different between series 1 and series 2?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the problem with Series Two lies somewhere with at least one of the writers. Nobody knows if the issue in question will ever be resolved allowing the set to finally see the light of day.

It's not the first time poor old Network have had last minute unforeseen rights problems on a new release either. In 2005, their compilation boxset of The Tube - Series One had to be hastily 'pulled' on the week it was due to be released. Unfortunately, some copies had already gone out to people who had placed early pre-orders (me included). Although the set was eventually re-released (minus the now un-clearable parts), the few original sets that slipped through the net now command a rather handsome price.

Sometimes, these problems come out of the blue despite extensive research and legal work, and can be very expensive for the DVD producers if the issue materialises on the eve of a commercial release.

Liked
    0 times
    name='marker']Hi Modular re Public Eye I don't care how they appear as long as they are brought out, I am surprised that marker did not sell well as its such an excellent program and still very watchable and it has not really dated IMHO perhaps younger people don't realize its worth.

The problem with archive television on DVD is that the quality of the material involved doesn't always guarantee good commercial sales (and by good, I mean enough to either break even or indeed make a profit).

Sadly, there are countless (crappy) modern television titles that sell in hundreds of thousands, where conversely a quality b&w title from the 1960s may struggle to shift even a thousand copies nationwide.

It's one of the reasons guys like Network should be roundly applauded (for their perseverance at the very least).

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Modular']I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the problem with Series Two lies somewhere with at least one of the writers. Nobody knows if the issue in question will ever be resolved allowing the set to finally see the light of day.

How on earth did they get away with that 'Maltese Falcon' rip-off 'The Deptford Virgin'? Presumably Hammett's story is out of copyright.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Modular']The problem with archive television on DVD is that the quality of the material involved doesn't always guarantee good commercial sales (and by good, I mean enough to either break even or indeed make a profit).

Sadly, there are countless (crappy) modern television titles that sell in hundreds of thousands, where conversely a quality b&w title from the 1960s may struggle to shift even a thousand copies nationwide.

It's one of the reasons guys like Network should be roundly applauded (for their perseverance at the very least).

hear hear for network

Liked
    0 times
    So Hazell season 2 is probably never going to come out then?

Liked
    0 times
    name='jamiesd']So Hazell season 2 is probably never going to come out then?

Not for the time being. Which is a shame, as Network put together a few extras on the set too.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    Bacup Police Station, the location for Juliet Bravo, has now closed and looking very sad indeed
    Attached Images

Liked
    129 times
    I liked the theme tune. Nothing else. It was a pretty horrendous show. . .

Senior Member Country: England cumberbatches_woman's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    i thought Juliet Bravo was a little gem, but having said that they shouldnt have changed the main character, i dont think Anna Carteret quite had what Stephanie Turner had, Stephanie brought a homely feel to the character.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    My husband likes Stephanie Turner more than Anna Carteret. For the quality of her acting, he says ...

I can't really remember the show other than the theme tune. Interesting to read different people's views of it.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by didi-5 View Post
    My husband likes Stephanie Turner more than Anna Carteret. For the quality of her acting, he says ...
    Never mind didi, you have your Mr Bond for the quality of his acting? lol .

I was suprised to see a clip of this programme on A-Z of crime, starring a VERY young Kevin Whately as a police Constable.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    All my favourites are so for the quality of their acting. Whether they have, ahem, other attributes is a moot point

Liked
    22 times
    I watched them film many episodes and a great many young actors who went on to great things turned up now and then including Joanne Whalley and of course the wonderful James Grout

Liked
    2 times
    I absolutely loved Juliet Bravo and currently watching it again. I believe looking at IMDB BBC 4 did a series called "Call The Cops" and Juliet Bravo was featured on this for 1 episode, would love to get a copy of this one episode.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12