Liked
    0 times
    Hi - I am looking for any episodes of a series called "Stig Of The Dump" which was broadcast in 2002 - the series was on a Sunday afternoon and starred, Geoffrey Palmer, Phyllida Law, Thomas Sangster and Michael Starke. If anyone has this series, please can you contact me, I have loads to trade, thanks !

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the original 1980's series and the remake version that you are after on DVD. PM me if you are interested.

Liked
    0 times
    has anybody got a copy of the 2001 tv series stig of the dump

Bob

Liked
    0 times
    I have both versions (1980's & 2000's)

Liked
    0 times
    how can i obtain a copy of the later 2001 version

Bob

Liked
    0 times
    i would like a copy of the 2001 version what do you want for a copy

Bob

Liked
    0 times
    I've tried to send you a Private Message but you seem to have them turned off in your settings.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anybody have a copy of the original series

Liked
    0 times
    I have copies of both series. PM me if interested

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    There is likely to be renewed interest in the two TV adaptations. Clive King's book is re-published as part of Puffin's new Modern Classics series - covering seven different decades - marking the publisher's 70th anniversary.

How do the two TV adaptations compare? The 2002 series DVD is available, for under £5, from amazon, but the 1981 original is only there in expensive VHS. Fortunately, in 2007, two members said they had copies of both.

www.telegraph.co.uk/familybookclub.co.uk

Christopher Middleton:

What exactly makes a children's classic? It's hard to put your finger on it precisely, but with STIG OF THE DUMP, our book club choice for June, a lot of it has to do with timelessness.

It's 47 years since this charming tale first saw the light of day and, after countless reprints, it has now been published once again as part of the new Puffin Modern Classics series.

It tells the story of how, over a series of long school holidays, a young boy called Barney first meets, then befriends, a mysterious, wild young figure who lives at the bottom of a tree-covered chalk-pit on the Kentish Downs. And whom he christens Stig.

The two boys don't speak the same language but they form an instant bond and spend many hours together in Stig's lair, which is filled with all kinds of ingeniously recycled rubbish.

There is the sliced-open plastic football that serves as a drinking cup and an oil-filled teapot that serves as a lamp (with a bootlace for a wick).

.....but that's not to say this is some gentle little fairy tale. Despite its idyllic rural setting, the book features a pair of distinctly unsavoury burglars, seen off by Stig, plus a trio of bullying brothers called the Snargets, who, when they capture Barney, can't decide whether to put him in a dungeon or tie him to a tree and shoot arrows at him.....