Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='penfold']

As pagan heathen's don't believe in God, or Heaven, they don't believe in Hell or the Devil either, paganism is one thing (pre-dating and influencing Christian practices) and Satanism another. In a sense you have to be of a branch of Judeo-Christian faith to believe in the existence of the Devil, let alone worship......

I remember when Gladiator was released there was a ripple of discontent from Paganists because Russell Crowe, at the start of the film, instructed his troops to ''unleash Hell''. The Paganists objected because, as a pre-Christian, Crowe's character wouldn't have known what Hell was.

Bats.

Liked
    255 times
    name='Moor Larkin']Ah..... Having read that little flurry, I now realise that those Halloween graphics were indeed the work of the Devil.........

Personally I've always liked the Mexican Dia de los Muertos, but freely admit I know next to nothing about it. It's certainly a lot more colourful and offers many more possibilities for new 'skins'......

I think you would enjoy the Captain David Grief episode ''The Ghost of Tupapau'' which features rituals from Dia de los Muertes in the story. Max, of course, saves the day!

Bats.

Liked
    1 times
    name='batman']It may be in your neighbourhood Steve, but around here it's just good family fun.

I do not see why it is such a big deal that what is regarded by most people as harmless fun is vilified so much because it may have an American connection. We all watch American movies, many people eat American food and drink. I love my country and enjoy it's heritage and culture as much as anyone else, I do not see why the fact that I and many others indulge in a bit of ''americanised'' fun once is a year should make us a target for such disdain.

Some people may use it for anti-social reasons, but that happens with many activities, why keep picking on Halloween? Let's have a go at the charity workers have have the audacity to ask for money by putting little envelopes though our doors.

I am now going to open a bottle of Coke, settle down on the sofa and watch a Hollywood movie.

(Bats)

When I moan about it and blame the Yanks, Bats, It's tongue in cheek and a dip at 'E.T.' because before that film came out, whether or not it originated in Britain, I can't ever remember as a kid having 'Trick or Treat'.

last Year, in our town in Herts, the anti social behaviour was rife. we didn't answer the door. When we got up the following morning, the house and both cars had been pelted by eggs. Oh Joy!

On any other day of the year the police would nick 'em. 31/10 seems to be a 'Get out of jail free card' kinda day. Sure anti social behaviour goes on all year round but boy does Halloween give 'em a real 'reason' for overtime. Charity envelopes? Never yet had the car or house egged by charity workers but who knows.......

I saw loads of little kids with parents out - fine, I hope they had fun, I really do. You get a short enough time for childhood innocence as it is but just as you are really in favour, I'm really not, I just hate it.100%.

Liked
    255 times
    name='Harleybloke']When I moan about it and blame the Yanks, Bats, It's tongue in cheek and a dip at 'E.T.' because before that film came out, whether or not it originated in Britain, I can't ever remember as a kid having 'Trick or Treat'.

last Year, in our town in Herts, the anti social behaviour was rife. we didn't answer the door. When we got up the following morning, the house and both cars had been pelted by eggs. Oh Joy!

On any other day of the year the police would nick 'em. 31/10 seems to be a 'Get out of jail free card' kinda day. Sure anti social behaviour goes on all year round but boy does Halloween give 'em a real 'reason' for overtime. Charity envelopes? Never yet had the car or house egged by charity workers but who knows.......

I saw loads of little kids with parents out - fine, I hope they had fun, I really do. You get a short enough time for childhood innocence as it is but just as you are really in favour, I'm really not, I just hate it.100%.

Fair do's Harley .... I've just been in 'irritable sod' mode recently.

I mentioned charity workers because a few years ago one came to the door and asked if I had the envelope he had left a couple of days earlier. When I gave it back to him empty he gave me a foul look and asked why I hadn't put any money in it. When I told him I only gave to specific charities and his wasn't one of them, he called me a 'tight bastard'! Ho hum.

Bats.

Liked
    1 times
    name='batman']Fair do's Harley .... I've just been in 'irritable sod' mode recently.

I mentioned charity workers because a few years ago one came to the door and asked if I had the envelope he had left a couple of days earlier. When I gave it back to him empty he gave me a foul look and asked why I hadn't put any money in it. When I told him I only gave to specific charities and his wasn't one of them, he called me a 'tight bastard'! Ho hum.

Bats.

No worries Bats, let's agree to differ!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='batman']I didn't use that paragraph because I was trying to be as factual and as brief as possible about the origins of ''Trick or Treat''. The paragraph merely states that ''trick or treat may have developed independently'' so I felt it was unreliable.

Perhaps I should have used the following article about the history of Halloween which can be found on the Magick7 site.

[snip]

This article clearly states that ''Trick or Treat'' has evolved from ''guising'' which was practised in England in the 18th century and was taken to the US in the 19th century.

Phew, I'm glad I've got that off my chest!

Bats.
    It clearly states it, but that doesn't mean it's correct

Steve

Liked
    255 times
    name='Steve Crook']It clearly states it, but that doesn't mean it's correct

Steve

Well, there was this article that I saw that could prove ...... oh stuff it!

Fancy a drink?

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    I was in LA 5 years agowith a group and we were staying at the famous Hollywood Roosevelt hotel.The blockk between the hotel just past graumanns Chinese was blocked to traffic.Temporary grandstands were erected and a Halloween parade took place till midnight when the local cops decided that the party was ended.We went back to the hotel.there was a partyin full swing.we went back to our rooms and were kept awake till 3.30am by partygoers coming back to their rooms.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    5 times
    name='orpheum']I was in LA 5 years agowith a group and we were staying at the famous Hollywood Roosevelt hotel.The blockk between the hotel just past graumanns Chinese was blocked to traffic.Temporary grandstands were erected and a Halloween parade took place till midnight when the local cops decided that the party was ended.We went back to the hotel.there was a partyin full swing.we went back to our rooms and were kept awake till 3.30am by partygoers coming back to their rooms.
    Why didn't you join in i would have.

Liked
    0 times
    It was horrendous.It was a real nightmare.the hotel had not warned us.as an apology they threw a mini party for us the following night in the rooms that had been occupied by Lombard and Gable before they were married.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='batman']Well, there was this article that I saw that could prove ...... oh stuff it!

Fancy a drink?

Bats.
    Wassail

Steve

Liked
    69 times
    My round.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    255 times

''I luv you .. yor my besht friend you are''

Bats.

Liked
    69 times
    Now calm down,old chap.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    1 times
    Just as a 'Post Script' to all this, our local newspaper, The Welwyn-Hatfield Times, today published the facts of Halloween this year in the Borough............

In 3 hours on Halloween night 645 calls were made to the Police about anti-social Yoof. 258 of the calls went direct to 999!

In the 24 hour period, 1,786 calls were made. 50% above a normal day.

So while little kids do enjoy it, for a lot of other people it's just a nightmare!

Liked
    255 times
    name='Harleybloke']

So while little kids do enjoy it

And big kids too ....

Bats.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123