Thread: Cone of Silence

Liked
    0 times
    Saturday November 17th Movie4Men 2 at 13:35 Cone of Silence

Based on a true story. An experienced pilot is accused of error, but after a second fatal crash he desperately sets out to discover the truth. Michael Craig & Peter Cushing star.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Not at all a bad film this one - but rarely seen, so well worth recording. Has similarities to 'No Highway' which was based on a Nevil Shute novel.

Liked
    0 times
    It's part of a small genre of aviation dramas about mysterious mid-air life-threatening situations which developed which air travel became common. The US had a big hit with The High And The Mighty, which is the first soap-opera of the 'Airport' school, though based on a book by veteran pilot Ernest K Gann. (The film of his Fate Is The Hunter is based largely on the same aviation mystery - a strange vibration in the airframe.) In this genre, the mystery when solved proves a technical issue, but until then there is a twlight-zone frisson of the hand of fate taking a part.

No Highway (1951) is based on a novel by Nevil Shute, who had worked in the Southampton area in the 1940s on aviation design, and introduced the subject of metal fatigue. Cone Of Silence is fact-based, part of the rather sad story of Britain's pioneering passenger jet The Comet. I have a copy of the nonfiction book by ex-BOAC pilot David Beaty, Strange Encounters, which recounts the background story. An interesting British example of this 'hand-of-fate' genre is Ealing's 1955 The Night My Number Came Up, which is based on a dream by Air Marshall Sir Victor Goddard, for Ealing a followup to their classic supernatural drama Dead Of Night.

David S.

Liked
    0 times
    That's interesting - that David Beaty wrote a non-fiction book about the actual events of "Cone of Silence". I've got his "Cone of Silence" novel (bought it when it came out as a Pan paperback in 1960) - so he really milked the story, didn't he?

Which came first - the novel or the non-fiction book?

It's a pity that Movies4Men are showing the movie as a 4:3 pan & scan, because it loses so much of the image. The actual aspect ratio is 2.35:1.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bertie
    Not at all a bad film this one - but rarely seen, so well worth recording. Has similarities to 'No Highway' which was based on a Nevil Shute novel.
    great film, love it. will have to check out no highway

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    CONE OF SILENCE is now being shown on Talking Pictures TV.

The credits were shown in 2.35 Scope albeit letterboxed and pillarboxed in the centre of the screen.
    Following the credits the picture then switched to a 1.5 aspect ratio. What on earth is that ? I got my tape measure out and measured it. It was truly 1.5 with Overscan switched 'off'.

I do wish TV companies would show films properly.

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Released in 1960, Cone of Silence is a great film. Wish i could watch it in a theatre.

Liked
    7 times
    I did at the Odeon Temple Fortune.
    Good to see it on tv again

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipW View Post
    I do wish TV companies would show films properly.
    I've just about given up on Talking Pictures TV. The poor image quality(low broadcast bandwidth) is bad enough, but the increasingly dodgy aspect ratios are becoming insufferable.

Liked
    7 times
    In my house my brother can get it,good picture on Freeview 81.However on that channel I get Adult Blue!so I get it on Sky.