Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok basically i have been given a question from college and am finding it hard and need some advise.

The question is:

Are the Bond film franchises totally dependant on the stereotyping of different british characteristics?

Im finding it hard so any pointers will help please as im not finding much info on it

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    You're not supposed to find info, you're supposed to watch the films and make up your own mind, based on your observations, which you will cite as evidence for your views. YOU have to do the thinking, it's not something where you can just report somebody else's observations.

Liked
    0 times
    Thats the things i have to! i need quotes etc its annoying the hell out of me thats why im looking for pointer from urselves. also i cant be axpected to be able to watch all these films

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='dannywanderers']Thats the things i have to! i need quotes etc its annoying the hell out of me thats why im looking for pointer from urselves. also i cant be axpected to be able to watch all these films

Why not?

The question is designed so that you have to watch the films to gain the necessary insight into the characterisations, stereotyped or not. If you don't fancy watching them all, watch some early ones, them some middle era ones, and then some newer ones. That way you'll get a handle on how they have changed, or not, and whether other factors other than stereotypical 'Britishness' have been significant in their success. To understand films you have to start by watching them, often more than once. Then you can investigate and/or research aspects that interest you.

To begin answering a question by avoiding the obvious means of gaining the knowledge you need to get to that answer doesn't make much sense to me.

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    Ok i know ill gain certain knowledge through watchin them and maybe spotting things that back up my own answers but how can i back myself up with quotes? I have to! or i dont get good mark. thats what im gettin at, like what is your opinion on the question and why is what im looking for so i can attempt to back myself up. i dont think that it depends on the britshness as such as its an action film! who cares what they sound like? if ya understan where im comin from and i dont have loads of time to watch these films over and over

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='dannywanderers']Ok i know ill gain certain knowledge through watchin them and maybe spotting things that back up my own answers but how can i back myself up with quotes? I have to! or i dont get good mark. thats what im gettin at, like what is your opinion on the question and why is what im looking for so i can attempt to back myself up. i dont think that it depends on the britshness as such as its an action film! who cares what they sound like? if ya understan where im comin from and i dont have loads of time to watch these films over and over

There are dozens and dozens of book about the 'James Bond' films, far too many to list here. Go to the library or buy some off amazon.co.uk. There's thousands of quotes to be had .... you just have to make the effort to research and find them. Also, if you want to pass your course you'll have to find time to watch the films. I work, I am also doing a two year college course at the same time, I have a family and I still find the time to mess around on here and watch lots of films. You can't expect other people to do the work for you.

Bats.

Super Moderator Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times
    Are the Bond film franchises totally dependant on the stereotyping of different british characteristics?

-No-

Liked
    0 times
    I know thats what i think but i need thing i can talk about i dont want you to write my essay for me just a couple of pointers

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    We get lots of students on Britmovie and I think some posters are probably slightly tired of it, Danny, but I personally don't think there is any harm in it. I don't think they are 'totally' based on British stereotypes. Take Bond girls for instance - they are easiest to analyse because they tend to be presented simplistically. They seem to be clearly based on sexual preferences and characteristics: you have sexually voracious vixens (Fiona Volpe/Xenia Onatopp/Pussy Galore/Elektra), damsels (Honey Ryder/Domino/Solitaire) and Bond's equals (Tracy Bond/Major Anya/Jinx). Maybe you can tackle it from that angle.

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Personally I think Bond is British sex tourist, like Gary Glitter.

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']There are dozens and dozens of book about the 'James Bond' films, far too many to list here. Go to the library or buy some off amazon.co.uk. There's thousands of quotes to be had .... you just have to make the effort to research and find them. Also, if you want to pass your course you'll have to find time to watch the films. I work, I am also doing a two year college course at the same time, I have a family and I still find the time to mess around on here and watch lots of films. You can't expect other people to do the work for you.

Bats.

I know that your not gonna answer the question for me but i just want kicking in the right direction. I not here for you to tell me what to write and not enough time and money to go gettin loads of books. Thats all. and i dont mean to annoy you student haters :P

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='dannywanderers']Ok i know ill gain certain knowledge through watchin them and maybe spotting things that back up my own answers but how can i back myself up with quotes? I have to! or i dont get good mark. thats what im gettin at, like what is your opinion on the question and why is what im looking for so i can attempt to back myself up. i dont think that it depends on the britshness as such as its an action film! who cares what they sound like? if ya understan where im comin from and i dont have loads of time to watch these films over and over
    Get the quotes from the films. A "quote" doesn't have to be people speaking, it can be an example of what they do as well

Steve

And you lose marks 4 dogy spelin

Liked
    418 times
    name='dannywanderers']I know that your not gonna answer the question for me but i just want kicking in the right direction. I not here for you to tell me what to write and not enough time and money to go gettin loads of books. Thats all. and i dont mean to annoy you student haters :P
    Nobody here hates students. We just won't do your work for you.

And we did give you a kick in the right direction. Watch the films. You might even enjoy them

Steve

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    name='dannywanderers']Thats the things i have to! i need quotes etc its annoying the hell out of me thats why im looking for pointer from urselves. also i cant be axpected to be able to watch all these films

I find such arrogance unbelievable. Just flunk out, Danny, or put in some effort. You seem to have a bad attitude.

Liked
    0 times
    Wow i dont mean for that message to be sent just annoyin how your sayin research and watch films, i know what i have to do but am looking for pointers. Also the quotes have to be from other people not the film. Or it would make things a whole lot easier an sorry if u think im arrogant, dnt mean sound like that just flustered with all this and another think i dont want anyone to do my essay

Liked
    418 times
    name='dannywanderers']Wow i dont mean for that message to be sent just annoyin how your sayin research and watch films, i know what i have to do but am looking for pointers. Also the quotes have to be from other people not the film. Or it would make things a whole lot easier an sorry if u think im arrogant, dnt mean sound like that just flustered with all this and another think i dont want anyone to do my essay
    You can quote a scene. It often says more than the words that people say in it.

If you really need to get other people's opinions then don't just read what they say and write it out. Comment on it. Explain why you think they're right or wrong.

Do you regret coming here yet?

Steve

Liked
    1 times
    name='Wolfgang']................... Take Bond girls for instance ............... Maybe you can tackle it from that angle.

Oooooo yes please.................

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm not a Bond fan, but I wonder if the films didn't establish a whole new stereotype of their own. I mean, British men as sex symbols!

R

Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']You can quote a scene. It often says more than the words that people say in it.

If you really need to get other people's opinions then don't just read what they say and write it out. Comment on it. Explain why you think they're right or wrong.

Do you regret coming here yet?

Steve

No lol i can take it. But i do need alot from books and respected peoples quotes and i know what you mean about the actual film quotes! Thanks

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    There are quite a few Bond websites as has already been mentioned, mi6.com is quite a good one as it gives lots of info on publications available on Bond and you can read many of the period reviews of the Bond films over the years so that could possibly help you with your research....and they also have a forum similar to this dedicated to the subject of Bond. However, as already pointed out by Bats and Steve and others, there is no subsitute for watching the films and forming your own ideas and opinions as the basis of your essay, I can't think of a better way to do research than settling down with several Bond DVDs! Good luck with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast