Thread: Dr Magnus Pike

Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone remember a bbc1 (I think) tv comedy series from the early '80's starring Magnus Pike as a Scientist doing television studio broadcasts, where all the props he is using go very wrong !!

I'm sure this was a comedy series and not a guest appearance he did for some kind of 'one off' Christmas show or something...?

I hope somebody remembers this, as IMDb don't list it !!

Cheers

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='intervision']Does anyone remember a bbc1 (I think) tv comedy series from the early '80's starring Magnus Pike as a Scientist doing television studio broadcasts, where all the props he is using go very wrong !!

I'm sure this was a comedy series and not a guest appearance he did for some kind of 'one off' Christmas show or something...?

I hope somebody remembers this, as IMDb don't list it !!

Cheers
    Was it Pike himself or someone impersonating Pike?

It sounds more like an impersonation

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    It was Pike for sure. That's what was so funny about the whole thing, he was so serious during the demonstrations.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Dr Magnus Pyke presented, or was a guest, on several TV shows but these were all 'serious' science shows and not intentionally funny, although Dr Pyke's experiments did sometimes go hilariously awry. I can only think this was a one-off for a charity such as Comic Relief or Children in Need. The only other thing I can think of is his participation in the video for Thomas Dolby's 1980s hit 'They Blinded me with Science' .... either that or maybe you have got him muddled up with 'Professor' Stanley Unwin who did a similar turn, but this time intentionally comic.

YouTube - Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science

YouTube - Professor Stanley Unwin avertisles wordyprocessy. Deep joy.

Bats.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='batman']Dr Magnus Pyke presented, or was a guest, on several TV shows but these were all 'serious' science shows and not intentionally funny, although Dr Pyke's experiments did sometimes go hilariously awry. I can only think this was a one-off for a charity such as Comic Relief or Children in Need.
    That's what I would have said as well. Although he was one of the first scientists to become a "media celebrity" type he was still a serious scientist (mainly a chemist and nutritionist) and I wouldn't have thought that he would sign up for anything that made mock of science in a regular way. Maybe as a one off for charity but unlikely in a regular series

Steve