Liked
    0 times
    The story of Jesse Matthews' and Sonny Hale's downfall is well known. I wonder what possessed Hale to think he was more than a quality comedian and Jesse for leaving the careful grooming of Victor Saville for husband Hale as a diector? Was there no one to advise them? Even Jesse's decision not to go to Hollywood to join up with Fred A. seems absurd if not insane. Is anything definitive known about the whole sorry business?

Do tell....leave nothing out.

Clara

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Excuse this article coming from the Daily Mail, but it may have some info you don't already know.

Jessie Matthews: The Diva of Debauchery | the Daily Mail

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    Bat's, thank you. This is very kind and thoughtful of you.

An interesting article that fills in a few blanks. I wonder if I'm just too modern to equate private immorality with business idiocy. Or could it be that Jesse had a conscience and felt she had to go along with Sonny's bad ideas out of some sort of misguided atonement. If this is the case, it pretty much wrecked both careers to our loss.

CLARA

Liked
    0 times
    If she was so in love with Sonnie why did she repeatedly betray and humiliate her?

But, once again, Batman, thanks. Jesse's uncontrollable urge to seduce bi-sexuals makes me feel distinctly ill. I have most of her movies. The first time I saw her was in THERE GOES the BRIDE. I had never heard of her. She just jumped out of the screen, so filled was she with talents.

Clara

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    I think she was mentally ill...

The way Jessie just stopped making films is quite a mystery; even if they declined in quality, someone could have rescued her!

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Except I knew she was popular in the 1930's, I didn't know any of that stuff. But, you know, many popular British musical comedy performers like Jack Buchanan and Jack Hulbert didn't have very long starring movie careers either, so she might not have had too many more years as a top film star left irregardless of her personal problems. I also think Danny Kaye has been characterized as a bisexual on rather skimpy evidence, mostly based on innuendo regarding his friendship with Laurence Olivier.

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Will, I think you are right. Many stars didn't even have the five or so years at the top that Jessie had; for some reason Jessie's 'fall' stands out, though. I suppose at least she is far better remembered than either Jack.

Batman, see the Daily Mail article. Also, Jessie's own book details her periods spent in mental health clinics.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brief Encounter

Batman, see the Daily Mail article. Also, Jessie's own book details her periods spent in mental health clinics.
    It's well-documented that she had a series of nervous breakdowns, the first one during the making of Evergreen