Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67

Thread: The Wild Geese

  1. #21
    GRAEME
    Guest
    Yeah, I love Andrew V McLaglen's Brit action movies too. He brought the fun male bonding thing from his westerns and applied it to British millieu.



    It's interesting how, having been literally brought up in American Westerns (Dad Victor, hanging around John Ford sets, directing the Duke), late in his career he switched to Brit action. It certainly extended his popularity as the traditional western he was known for faded.



    Maybe, he just wanted to "come home" as well?



    Mind you, I'm not so keen on Breakthrough - the Burton follow up to Peckinpah's excellent Cross of Iron. If ever a sequel was not required...

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    405
    Liked
    0 times
    Surely one of the greatest and exciting film moments must be the free fall of parachutists from the rear of the plane with a great musical score

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,812
    Liked
    1 times
    Joan Armatrading's best song to my mind.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Grey Wyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    218
    Liked
    0 times
    Changing the subject ever so slightly, but does anyone know whatever happened to The Wild Geese author, Daniel Carney.

    He put out a few cracking novels then just seemed to vanish.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    53
    Liked
    0 times
    The Wild Geese has always been up there among my favourite action films. It's particularly refreshing to see that some of the heroes (particularly among the officers) are past their sell-by dates, with graying hair and the odd age freckle on their hands, which makes it all the more suspenseful whenever they come under fire. Great action, great relationships between the characters and a tear-jerking finale - what more could you ask for in a film?



    The cast is second to none with many legends including Burton, Harris, Moore, Kruger ensuring that the film is packed with wonderful acting.



    Speaking of The Wild Geese, I really ought to pop it in my DVD player again sometime soon.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    542
    Liked
    0 times
    Those who like the soundtrack may be interested to know that it is available on CD, I actually also have it on Vinyl!



    It is without doubt Andrew V McLaglen's best film, I always wondered the action in his other films never achieved the same standards. For a long time there was even talk of a Wild Geese 3, set back in Africa. I actually spoke to Euan Lloyd about a year ago, on this subject, when totally out of the blue he called me at home. (Embarasingly I thought he was an actor friend playing a practical joke at the time) So many of the support cast have died recently, leaving us just Roger Moore.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Country: Wales
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    135
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember liking this film as a child. Not so sure now, many years later. I love the music at the start...

  8. #28
    GRAEME
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Azanti

    It is without doubt Andrew V McLaglen's best film...
    Hooooold the phone! I love The Wild Geese, but as a bit of fun and pyrotechnics - as a movie it isn't a patch on the great Shenandoah with James Stewart or The Way West. Even Chisum has its adherents.



    If you said his greatest non-western I'd agree with you. Film preferences are always subjective but "without doubt" is way too strong.

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wyler
    Changing the subject ever so slightly, but does anyone know whatever happened to The Wild Geese author, Daniel Carney.

    He put out a few cracking novels then just seemed to vanish.
    Yes, I do . . . he died of cancer, I believe sometime in the 1980s. He wrote The Whispering Death (which has been made into a movie of the same title, although it's also called Albino or Night of the Askaris), Under a Raging Sky, The Square Circle (also known as Wild Geese II or The Return of the Wild Geese, also made into a movie), and then he wrote one about HK/Macau, called Macau. That was his last novel before he died.



    I also heard that his sister is author Erin Pizzey.



    David

  10. #30
    Banned Country: UK
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,452
    Liked
    6 times
    When I saw The Wild Geese a little while ago something struck me during the scene where Stewart Granger recruits Richard Burton and Stewart Granger asks Richard Burton if it was a nice flight (or something along those lines ) and Richard Burton replies with "a rather rushed meal on the plane" now my question is in the film the word rushed is used but there should be something else there instead as you can see from Burton's lip he is not saying the word rushed it must be either the F word or Burton fluffed his lines by saying F**k and so they redubbed it with rushed.



    Can someone else check out this scene on there DVD or Video of it and reply back here and tell me this is so ? as I believe it to be so.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    207
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst_Isle
    When I saw The Wild Geese a little while ago something struck me during the scene where Stewart Granger recruits Richard Burton and Stewart Granger asks Richard Burton if it was a nice flight (or something along those lines ) and Richard Burton replies with "a rather rushed meal on the plane" now my question is in the film the word rushed is used but there should be something else there instead as you can see from Burton's lip he is not saying the word rushed it must be either the F word or Burton fluffed his lines by saying F**k and so they redubbed it with rushed.



    Can someone else check out this scene on there DVD or Video of it and reply back here and tell me this is so ? as I believe it to be so.
    There is some swearing in this film, the F word does, appear - I've never heard Burton use the F word on screen, maybe he thought the better of it and redubbed it.



    I still laugh when I think I hear him shout 'Men, we have been double-trossed'.



    I love this film, I absolutely love it.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    207
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Azanti
    Those who like the soundtrack may be interested to know that it is available on CD, I actually also have it on Vinyl!


    I also have the OST on vinyl but it has a pressing fault, a glitch in that fabulous dico porn track. I'll need to replace it with the CD.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Grey Wyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    218
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vangogan
    Yes, I do . . . he died of cancer, I believe sometime in the 1980s. He wrote The Whispering Death (which has been made into a movie of the same title, although it's also called Albino or Night of the Askaris), Under a Raging Sky, The Square Circle (also known as Wild Geese II or The Return of the Wild Geese, also made into a movie), and then he wrote one about HK/Macau, called Macau. That was his last novel before he died.
    That is a shame. He was a great writer. I have read The Wild Geese quite a few times and also Whispering Death (brilliant novel) but my personal favorite was Under A Raging Sky. I recall that it was going to be filmed at one point, can't remember where i read about it, but i think Richard Johnson was in line for one of the main leads. A great adventure it certainly would have been a cracking film.

    Does anyone out there have any info on that?



    Must track down Macau, as that is the only one left for me to read.

  14. #34
    Banned Country: UK
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,452
    Liked
    6 times
    The scene in Wild geese was strange as I watched this on tv long ago and it was around the time when they use to substitute the bad language with a softer word

    but when I watched it on video and then again on Mosaic dvd it was still there,so I thought it was either a Richard Burton fluffed line and then redubbed on later or it was some other .



    I am sure if someone watches that scene again on dvd they will see it is dubbed.

  15. #35
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    465
    Liked
    0 times
    Better still Joan Armatrading's singing at the end as the credits are rolling.

    I enjoyed the film, but Roger Moore's interpretation of Clint doesn't cut the coleman's does it?

    Neither did Kurt Russell's when he played Snake Pliscine in Escape from New York

  16. #36
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    207
    Liked
    0 times
    You know, one of my absolutely favourite things about The Wild Geese is is the opening credits - the way the soundtrack opens with a little introductory flourish and the map of AFrica makes itself from the bottom of the screen up, and then the newsreel footage begins, all of it well-chosen and giving a great context to the Armatrading song.



    It contributes greatly to a mood in the film that only fans seem to want to pick up on - a sense of sadness and lucklessness. The dark continent lit up by fire.



    Anybody else love that title sequence - I think it's one of the greats.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,044
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknorth
    You know, one of my absolutely favourite things about The Wild Geese is is the opening credits - the way the soundtrack opens with a little introductory flourish and the map of AFrica makes itself from the bottom of the screen up, and then the newsreel footage begins, all of it well-chosen and giving a great context to the Armatrading song.



    It contributes greatly to a mood in the film that only fans seem to want to pick up on - a sense of sadness and lucklessness. The dark continent lit up by fire.



    Anybody else love that title sequence - I think it's one of the greats.
    I do love that sequence, the whole film is very good, even with Emil in it

  18. #38
    Senior Member Country: England
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    125
    Liked
    0 times
    richard harris was well cool in it but his son was a proper pansy

  19. #39
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    207
    Liked
    0 times
    Huh, what's everyone got against poor Emil?



    Final scene is very touching - 'let's talk about your father' - can't think of a better line there.

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    74
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknorth
    Huh, what's everyone got against poor Emil?



    Final scene is very touching - 'let's talk about your father' - can't think of a better line there.
    Could you imagine Richard Harris having a son like that? "Whooopee!"

    The child actor was also in an episode of 'Tales of the Unexpected' it was called 'Galloping Foxley', With John Mills. It was a story of mistaken identidy.

    One of the better Unexpected storys.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Wild Geese Location
    By cpo77 in forum Film Locations
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-10, 11:02 PM
  2. a flock of geese?
    By rejrob in forum Can You Name This Film
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 26-03-10, 09:39 PM
  3. geese walking to london
    By suddenbadger in forum Can You Name This Film
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-02-10, 03:44 AM
  4. Ritchie to remake The Wild Geese
    By Torquemada in forum General Film Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 21-02-10, 11:53 PM
  5. Wild Geese 2
    By Jez in forum Latest DVD Releases
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-07-09, 06:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts