Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The Fastest Getaway maybe the title for this rather ropey film that I and a friend rented one boring evening in the early 80s video boom, when all sorts was repackaged into the early boom of video rental stores to fill their shelves up.

It was British, and almost felt like a repackaged version of the professionals. Basically a crew was put together to rob a bank, played by this tall Brit square jawed actor that I never liked (Can't remember his name) they do the robbery, shoot up all the police cars that arrive with Stirling sub machine guns. Then getaway, meet some time later in a wood (not very sensible these robbers) to split the cash, where upon they're betrayed by the leader and one other who kills some of them, I believe two escaped. I can't remember how it ended.

Ring any bells with anyone?

Liked
    151 times
    Essex Boys? (just remember a Range Rover getting blown to bits)

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    It DOES sound very like the "Professionals" episode "Where the Jungle Ends" . Featuring David Suchet as a violent mercenary !

Liked
    1 times
    Or what about "The Great Riviera Bank Robbery" (aka "Sewers of Gold"), starring Ian McShane ?

I think this was a British TV movie, and I remember it being (in 1979) very exciting. Now available on DVD, I believe, and one that I must get around to purchasing.

Liked
    0 times
    No it was none of the above and it was very similar in lots of ways to the episode with the professionals in called When the jungle Ends, which I have on video.

This film was made in the 1970's, the leading man was also in a film that was very based on The Great Train robbery, the one where all the robbers are hiding out at that airport and all get caught by the police, but the gang leader gets away, he was also the planner in this film.

I can also remember the video cover, very 1970s, like the sweeney movie posters. This was defintely a feature film, not television and defintely not Essex Boys, that was made in the last few years!

I remember thinking at the time when I watched it, hey this is like that episode of the professionals, only not as good. There was a sequence that involved crossing the channel on a ferry too, one of the gang was French, I think the getaway driver. It might have been called The Fastest Kill?????????????????????????

Liked
    0 times
    Now I think about it, I am sure that was the name, even though I cannot find it on any other searches. The Fastest Kill.

(It was defintely 'The Fastest.... something or other....'

Liked
    1 times
    Is the film about the Great Train Robbery in fact "Robbery" (1967), starring Stanley Baker ?

Now I come to think about it, I do remember seeing a "heist" movie on TV, that could have had Stanley Baker in the lead role. As I recall, it was partly set in France, could have been an Anglo-French production, which is why no-one can remember it.

As I recall, after the robbery and getaway, the leader of the villains sets about killing most of his former comrades ! As part of the heist, the gang perform a parachute jump, having been trained by a guy who could have been actor Bryan Marshall. When he has outlived his usefulness, the gang leader strangles him.

There was female gang member, probably played by a French actress, whose sole purpose in the story was to sleep with a millionaire and steal the key to his safe (or something). So much for Women's Lib !

What was this film ???

Liked
    0 times
    Oxfam that sounds very much like it, as part of it was defintely set in France, I think she had to sleep with the bank manager.

The lead actor wasn't Stanley Baker, though, I got that wrong. The lead actor was a real feature in the late 60s and 70s, very square jawed, always sporting the same haircut, quite a deep voice and always turning up in things like Avengers, Space 1999, Professionals etc, but I really think he was a crap actor because this guy was the same in everything he did, but he had a good booming voice. I need to find out his name.

Liked
    1 times
    Got it !

From your description, the actor was Tom Adams, and the film was entitled "The Fast Kill" (1972).

Made a few years earlier than I had assumed. The one review on IMDB says that it is rubbish !

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Sounds like The Fast Kill to me too ....

Lindsay Shonteff, The Fast Kill

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    yeah that was it and yeah, Tom Adams, nice bloke I'm sure but terrible acting.

That film used a different poster for the video we hired, it defintely did not have that cover, but yep, thats it. Dont remember them having M16s though. wow and looking at that link, I remember a couple of the others too, that lindsay fella really made some very very bad films didnt he?

Liked
    255 times
    name='Azanti']yeah that was it and yeah, Tom Adams, nice bloke I'm sure but terrible acting.

I met Tom Adams when he did those furniture commercials years ago ... he is a nice bloke. He was pretty good in the BBCs The Enigma Files.

Bats.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    name='oxfam1uk']Or what about "The Great Riviera Bank Robbery" (aka "Sewers of Gold"), starring Ian McShane ?

I think this was a British TV movie, and I remember it being (in 1979) very exciting. Now available on DVD, I believe, and one that I must get around to purchasing.

I've always wanted to see this film again but could never remember what it was called, the scene I remember most is Ian McShane escaping justice by jumping out of a window in a courtroom office on to the roof of a truck parked below and escaping as a pillion passenger on a very fast motorbike! I think the city featured was Rome or Paris and wasn't it based on a true story about villians tunneling via the sewers into the vaults of a bank? Anyway, cheers for reminding me of this one!

Liked
    0 times
    I saw it, remember the whole film very well indeed.

It was called LOOPHOLE.

Liked
    255 times
    The Ian McShane film was The Great Riviera Bank Robbery/Sewers of Gold/Dirty Money ....

The Great Riviera Bank Robbery (1979)

The only bank robbery film I know of called Loophole was the Albert Finney one ....

Loophole (1981)

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    Oh must have got that wrong title wise, but remember the film very clearly, I loved it as a kid.

Senior Member Country: Moldova Midwich cuckoo's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Did they cut through walls with a thermic lance in this film?