Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robbery 1967

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    This is one of my favourite fims of the 60s, managed to get a transfered copy to DVD recently as my VHS had worn out.

Excellent car chase through London with Jags, brilliant train robbery sequence.

Probably not the best acted or one of the best made films of the time but I love it.

Gaz

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman
    This is one of my favourite fims of the 60s, managed to get a transfered copy to DVD recently as my VHS had worn out.

Excellent car chase through London with Jags, brilliant train robbery sequence.

Probably not the best acted or one of the best made films of the time but I love it.

Gaz
    Well made enough to launch it's director on a long Hollywood career!

Great film!

Bats.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    Well made enough to launch it's director on a long Hollywood career!

Great film!

Bats.
    That is true,but as good as the car chase is in Bullitt, I still love the sight and sound of the Mk2 Jag and the S type police car blasting around London.

Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman
    That is true,but as good as the car chase is in Bullitt, I still love the sight and sound of the Mk2 Jag and the S type police car blasting around London.
    IMHO the whole chase is much better than the one in Bullitt.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    As good as the car chase in The French Connection? This is the critics fave, but what do the fans think?

Hooked off the line

Liked
    255 times
    There was a whole thread about this recently ...

Bats.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lordtednfs
    As good as the car chase in The French Connection? This is the critics fave, but what do the fans think?
    I prefer the chase in Ronin but don't forget the oft overlooked The Driver with Bruce Dern and Ryan O'Neal. That's one film I'd like to see remade.

Liked
    0 times
    Stanley Baker stars in this classic british film based on The Great Train Robbery.The opening car chase through the streets of Notting Hill ,London is one of the best of its kind. I wonder how much of the chase went on the cutting room floor. The Mark2 Jaguar was the symbol of the villain and the police "S"type Jaguar was the boys in blue.Could you shoot a chase like that now in London?

For me its one of the best films that mixes facts and an ending wgich you dont seem to get to often.And a foot note of who was the young policeman at the end who knocks to bring back a missing dog?

On the subject of car chases the Villain robbery is also a must.

all the best

Lenny

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    that was the same director who , the following year made bullitt wasnt it ?

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RAREFILMFINDER
    Stanley Baker stars in this classic british film based on The Great Train Robbery.The opening car chase through the streets of Notting Hill ,London is one of the best of its kind. I wonder how much of the chase went on the cutting room floor. The Mark2 Jaguar was the symbol of the villain and the police "S"type Jaguar was the boys in blue.Could you shoot a chase like that now in London?

For me its one of the best films that mixes facts and an ending wgich you dont seem to get to often.And a foot note of who was the young policeman at the end who knocks to bring back a missing dog?

On the subject of car chases the Villain robbery is also a must.

all the best

Lenny
    I must agree the chase scene is just first class. I think it's the best car chase scene of any film ever, but strangely never seems to get a mention.

I see HMV have it on their website currently with a release date of 21st July. It was previously stated that it would be released on DVD in May, however it does now have a picture of the cover now, so hopefully it will be available from that date.

Liked
    0 times
    I agree with you FX. I have always thought that it was the best car chase, even better than Bullit. This is because the tension is kept by the fact the roads are so claustrophobic compared to San Francisco's wide roads. Also the panic as the schoolchildren are on the crossing is real edge of the seat stuff.

Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FX3
    I see HMV have it on their website currently with a release date of 21st July. It was previously stated that it would be released on DVD in May, however it does now have a picture of the cover now, so hopefully it will be available from that date.
    Yes, it finally seems to be happening The film was passed at the BBFC on the 13th with a running time of 1hr 09 mins 17secs.

Liked
    8 times
    I can't recall if I've seen this...maybe I have but it would be many years ago ; sounds like my kind of film....looking forward to this release.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    ROBBERY pre-dates THE SWEENEY by seven years, and is remarkably similar in style - so why did it take TV so long to catch up ?

Liked
    0 times
    I posted a location location on this one and glad to see some car nuts on here.The car chase is the best jaguar chase I have ever seen.Having owned an s type and mk 2's the film is so real down to the sounds and I swear I can still smell the engine oil and leather.

I would love to know how much damage was done to the mk2 when it kerbed it on a sharp left but hit the offside front?

The s type got round clear.

The sweeney loved the s type and wrote a few of them off.Amongst the sweeney videos ,they released one called the sweeney car chases which sounded great but was just 2 episodes which involved car chases.

Villain was other classic robbery where an s type was used to ram the money car and the getaway is magic with the front caved in.

A more upto date series that should have been better for its car chases was crocodile shoes? with the sierra cosworth.

My pet hates with movies that involve cars is when there is a total mis-match of power and speed as in ? cannot think of the title. new out and the drives a bentley gt and cant out run a morris minor.

James bond takes some beating for car chases and one that is high up there is the blues brothers.

The original gone in 60 seconds has to be a top 5.

So what are the top 25 car chases?

lenny

Liked
    0 times
    I agree that 3 of them should be in the top ten but for me Bullitt isnt number one.

Arnie should never have been there.But lets see with my top 25?

Liked
    32 times
    Still Ronin for me but I agree that Robbery is very realistic, Lenny. Only a month until the DVD arrives, I just hope that Optimum don't cock it up.

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Sorry to be pedantic, but I've noticed two references to S-Type jaguars being involved in the car chase. Since the S-Type wasn't introduced until 1999 this is highly unlikely!

I presume you mean the 2.4 or 3.4 Jags that the retro S-Type paid homage to.

(Ronin was the best)

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by narabdela
    Sorry to be pedantic, but I've noticed two references to S-Type jaguars being involved in the car chase. Since the S-Type wasn't introduced until 1999 this is highly unlikely!

I presume you mean the 2.4 or 3.4 Jags that the retro S-Type paid homage to.

(Ronin was the best)
    Not pedantic enough unfortunately

The original S-Type Jaguar was introduced in 1964, and was similar looking to the MK2 Jaguar but had a revised shape tail similar to the MK X Jaguar incorporating the independant rear suspension from that model. It came with the 3.4 and 3.8 litre engines and from the front and certain 3/4 angles is almost identical to the MK2 Jaguar. From the rear it is totally different.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks doebag your knowledge of jags is spot on. I still think the s type is a great car and under valued at the moment.The mk 10 was a big car and the

420G was a better upgrade.

I dont know what mk 2 they used in robbery.The 3.8 would have been my choice but it could have been a 3.4

If anyone spots the colour of the badge in the grille or the litre was mounted on the boot.

I will watch my copy of robbery again.

cheers

lenny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast