Thread: Ghost story

Liked
    0 times
    I recall being petrified by a black and white ghost story about 20 years ago that centered around an eerie whistling of "Greensleeves", buried body in the cellar, seances etc. Any one know the name?

GRAEME
    What I think you have here is a feature length episode of the Thriller anthology series from 1973 called Possession. It wasn't made in B&W. It does contain the body in the cellar, the seance and the whistling though. It was produced (like the series) and written by Avengers whizz Brian Clemens.

Graeme

Liked
    0 times
    thank you very much for that. I guess it was 30 years ago and must just have seemed like black and white. Still, I must have 10 years old then, so it would not necessarily hold the same excitement for me today!

Do you know any great genuine ghost stories like The Innocents for example?

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    The Thriller DVD box set is a snip at the moment. Less than �40 from Sendit and Bensons World.

Sendit.com - Thriller: The Complete Series (Box Set) (DVD) - Buy DVDs, Games & Electronics - FREE UK & Ireland Delivery

Liked
    0 times
    name='mark reynier']thank you very much for that. I guess it was 30 years ago and must just have seemed like black and white. Still, I must have 10 years old then, so it would not necessarily hold the same excitement for me today!

Do you know any great genuine ghost stories like The Innocents for example?

If you haven't seen the original black and white version of The Haunting ( with Claire Bloom and Richard Johnson ) I would recommend it highly for genuine scares and creepy atmosphere. There was an unofficial remake in the early 70's called The Legend of Hell House which was pretty good but not a patch on the original

Liked
    0 times
    name='JamesM']The Thriller DVD box set is a snip at the moment. Less than �40 from Sendit and Bensons World.

Sendit.com - Thriller: The Complete Series (Box Set) (DVD) - Buy DVDs, Games & Electronics - FREE UK & Ireland Delivery

Yes- thoroughly recommended

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Although they are both great films, The Legend of Hell House is not a remake of The Haunting, the films are based on two different novels ...

The Haunting is based on 'The Haunting of Hill House' by Shirley Jackson (1959)

The Legend of Hell House is based on 'Hell House' by Richard Matheson (1971)

The only remake of The Haunting has been Jan de Bont's dire 1999 effort.

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    I stand corrected re: Legend of Hell House! I've not seen it for ages and would like to give it another look - especially as Gayle Hunnicutt is in it! Totally agree about the Jan de Bont remake - the original is perfect proof if ever any were needed that less can definately be more.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='dogstar']I stand corrected re: Legend of Hell House! I've not seen it for ages and would like to give it another look - especially as Gayle Hunnicutt is in it! Totally agree about the Jan de Bont remake - the original is perfect proof if ever any were needed that less can definately be more.

You can pick up new dvd copies of LOHH on amazon.co.uk for a couple of quid.

What I found so disappointing about the remake of TH was that there was no suspense. Everything, even if IMHO you hadn't seen the original, was so predictable ..... eg a lingering shot of a gargoyle was bound to be followed by said gargoyle coming to CGI life. I totally agree that more was definitely less with this film.

Bats.