Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Ross must have a very good agent who is able to fool the BBC bosses

into paying such a vast sum for such a modest talent........Indeed, Ross has them so hooked, that they will seemingly pay anything to keep him !

The BBC should have called his bluff a long time ago and let Ross go to the commercial channels

When one thinks of poor pensioners struggling to pay their �130 TV licence for the only entertainment they have (and who are unlikely to view or listen to the uncouth Ross), it makes one sick....

Ross claims he is worth '1,000 BBC journalists'

By Arifa Akbar, Arts Reporter

THE INDEPENDENT

07 December 2007

Ross claims he is worth '1,000 BBC journalists' - Independent Online Edition > Media

When Jonathan Ross stood up at an annual comedy awards ceremony and quipped, "I'm worth 1,000 BBC journalists", there were chuckles. Yesterday though, few people were laughing at the Corporation's headquarters.

Over the next three years journalists face swingeing cuts in news and current affairs. Ross, meanwhile, is set to pick up a reported �18m. There was little effort to disguise anger about the comment in the corridors of Television Centre. And on air, there was a long pause after the comment was reported by Radio 4's Today programme.

Ross's gag, made while he hosted the British Comedy Awards, has incensed members of the BBC who face losing their jobs as part of a six-year plan to streamline the corporation and shed 2,500 positions.

And yesterday support was forthcoming from industry representatives. Jeremy Dear, general secretary of the National Union of Journalists (NUJ), condemned the joke as "obscene" and said it opened up the emotive debate over how much the BBC valued its quality journalists.

"Jonathan Ross's comments were obscene at a time when thousands of his fellow BBC colleagues are facing losing their jobs," said Mr Dear. "While it may be a joke to him, the reality is not a laughing matter to those who have the axe hanging over their heads.

"It also brings into question the BBC's priorities, which should be about quality news and journalists, first and foremost, but is not really reflected in salaries. They seem to think that having one light entertainment presenter is better than having 600 broadcast journalists."

Last month, representatives of the joint BBC unions (Bectu, the NUJ and Unite), voted unanimously to ballot for national strike action following the BBC's decision to push ahead with plans for compulsory redundancies. The corporation's director general, Mark Thompson, has proposed to slash 2,500 jobs. Further compulsory redundancies are threatened in BBC Scotland and the World Service. The BBC Trust has launched an investigation into presenters' salaries. Mr Dear said he hoped the its conclusions might lead to some changes, but added: "Given some of the comments by the Trust saying they have to match the market salary, whether it will lead to radical change I just don't know."

Ross also aimed barbs at ITV, which broadcast the show. He made a reference to the phone vote scandal that tainted its reputation this year. Ross said: "This show is coming to you from the glittering heart of the bogus phone vote district."

Because he's worth it?

Jonathan Ross's salary is �18m over three years or �6m annually. Per annum, one Jonathan Ross equals:

* 200 broadcast journalists from London (at basic average salary �30,000).

* 400 regional broadcast journalists (at basic average salary �15,000).

* 315.8 library clerks/assistants (at grade three, basic salary �19,000).

* 227.7 producers and directors (at grade five, basic salary �26,353).

* 181.3 graphic designers (at grade nine, basic salary �33,094).

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    OK, all shout together now, "OH, NO HE ISN'T!!!"

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    The "comment" page of today's Indy, stated that Ross might have spoken too soon as an independent review panel is being convened to assess whether Ross (and others at the Beeb) are "value for money"

Personally, I'd like to see the Journalists line up and take turns punching the smug, self-centred arsehole firmly in his big mouth.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    To be honest I think he's passed his usefullness. I don't even bother to watch his chat show - the guests seem to be an irrelevance on that programme. It wasn't that long ago he as reduced to The Big Big Talent Show

Liked
    255 times
    name='Windthrop']To be honest I think he's passed his usefullness. I don't even bother to watch his chat show - the guests seem to be an irrelevance on that programme. It wasn't that long ago he as reduced to The Big Big Talent Show

Perhaps he could now get a show called The Big Big Mouth Show!

Bats.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    name='cletus awreetus']

Personally, I'd like to see the Journalists line up and take turns punching the smug, self-centred arsehole firmly in his big mouth.

Me too!.........Mr 'Woss' is one of the very few people in the Media spotlight that I reall cannot abide, I'd like to put him, along with Hugh Grant, Mr and mrs 'Posh', Kerry Catonia, Kate Moss, Simon Cowell, The Andre's, Ant and Dec, and a few other 'celebs' on an Airplane and send them on a way flight to Siberia!

Liked
    151 times
    I enjoy his chat show, I actually prefer it to Parky.

I'll get my coat.....

Liked
    255 times
    I used to enjoy watching Ross' chat show ... but lately there seems to be little chat and nothing but endless Ross 'jokes' which, for me, stopped being funny a few years back.

Parky's shows these days aren't a patch on those in his 70s heyday, he seems to have lost the knack of 'opening up' his guests, or maybe they impose too many restrictions on what he can ask.

Bats.

Liked
    151 times
    name='batman']I used to enjoy watching Ross' chat show ... but lately there seems to be little chat and nothing but endless Ross 'jokes' which, for me, stopped being funny a few years back.

Parky's shows these days aren't a patch on those in his 70s heyday, he seems to have lost the knack of 'opening up' his guests, or maybe they impose too many restrictions on what he can ask.

Bats.

Think the problem today is there's too many "celebrities" who have no actual talent, and those that do appear are just on the press junket to plug their latest films. And that really ticks me off with all chat show hosts, the guest's film is always 'great', I'd love for once one to say 'it's not very good is it?'

Liked
    69 times
    name='DB7']I enjoy his chat show, I actually prefer it to Parky.

I'll get my coat.....
    I do as well. However,I think he is asking for trouble in what he said.

I agree with Bats about Parky. In the seventies he had guests worth listening to,and who all had a story to tell.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    255 times
    name='DB7']Think the problem today is there's too many "celebrities" who have no actual talent, and those that do appear are just on the press junket to plug their latest films. And that really ticks me off with all chat show hosts, the guest's film is always 'great', I'd love for once one to say 'it's not very good is it?'

I'd agree with all of that.

Check out the Marlon Brando links I posted in the 'celebrities in ads' thread. His comments about Morituri in what was supposed to be a promo for the film are very funny.

Bats.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Didn't realise old Wossy provoked such a violent allergy with so many people! I quite like his chat show, he is usually quite cheeky and is not overawed by any of his guests and is not averse to completley taking the rise out of them, I think some of his quips are quite funny, and sure he is probably quite arrogant and self assured with an apparently overblown opinion of his own worth but is that unusual for a TV host? I kind of thought it was a qualification! I much prefer Ross to the likes of Terry Wogan, Sue Lawley, Clive Anderson, or even contemporary Parky......better get my coat as well!

Liked
    255 times
    name='christoph404']Didn't realise old Wossy provoked such a violent allergy with so many people! I quite like his chat show, he is usually quite cheeky and is not overawed by any of his guests and is not averse to completley taking the rise out of them, I think some of his quips are quite funny, and sure he is probably quite arrogant and self assured with an apparently overblown opinion of his own worth but is that unusual for a TV host? I kind of thought it was a qualification! I much prefer Ross to the likes of Terry Wogan, Sue Lawley, Clive Anderson, or even contemporary Parky......better get my coat as well!

No, you leave your coat where it is .... I can't stand any of the others you named either, so I can forgive you one aberration!

Bats.

Liked
    5 times
    He's a man with no talent a wife and Daughter who looks like something from Dr Who and the BBC pay him vast ammount's of money, as they say a fool and his gold are easily parted.

Member Country: Djibouti
    Liked
    0 times
    Jonathon Ross is definitely worth 1,000 BBC journalists. Trouble is, he's not worth one decent presenter, film critic, chat show host or Radio 2 DJ.

Liked
    0 times
    name='DB7']I enjoy his chat show, I actually prefer it to Parky.

Me too! I love his show, enjoy his sense of humour and have no problem with his pay packet whatsoever...

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    We do not get Jonathan Woss in Australia - yet.

I must comment on Parky's show though. The constant use of canned laughter and applause during his show drives me up the wall. It is not very well edited either.

It shows how unfunny some of his guests are if so much canned laughter is required to try and convince us that the live studio audience are enjoying themselves.

I also find that Parky is tending to mumble more with his questions. Old age has caught up with him and I am glad that he has announced his retirement from television.

Dave.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='David Brent']We do not get Jonathan Woss in Australia - yet.

I must comment on Parky's show though. The constant use of canned laughter and applause during his show drives me up the wall. It is not very well edited either.

It shows how unfunny some of his guests are if so much canned laughter is required to try and convince us that the live studio audience are enjoying themselves.

I also find that Parky is tending to mumble more with his questions. Old age has caught up with him and I am glad that he has announced his retirement from television.

Dave.
    Canned laughter? Are you sure? It's normally in front of a live audience - you see them there.

Unless they add more laughter for the Australians

Steve

Liked
    1 times
    name='willothewisp']Me too! I love his show, enjoy his sense of humour and have no problem with his pay packet whatsoever...

My opinion is opposite to yours, when you think of talented people who have had to struggle financially I feel it is unfair that this individual is paid so well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast