Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    What starts out as a potentiallly interesting mystery, becomes increasingly dull and ultimately fizzles out in a somewhat bizarre choice of ending, thanks to a script that only seems to have had a first act, Basil Dearden's uninspired handling (showing the brainwashing seems a major mistep to me), and a generally uninterested cast; Dirk Bogarde gives one of his most removed performances while a presumably pregnant Mary Ure seems to have other things on her mind. Film has some fairly daring dialogue for its day, as if it was trying to create a bit of stir, but it's been largely forgotten and for good reason. Give me ALTERED STATES any day.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by asiamiles
    What starts out as a potentiallly interesting mystery, becomes increasingly dull and ultimately fizzles out in a somewhat bizarre choice of ending, thanks to a script that only seems to have had a first act, Basil Dearden's uninspired handling (showing the brainwashing seems a major mistep to me), and a generally uninterested cast; Dirk Bogarde gives one of his most removed performances while a presumably pregnant Mary Ure seems to have other things on her mind. Film has some fairly daring dialogue for its day, as if it was trying to create a bit of stir, but it's been largely forgotten and for good reason. Give me ALTERED STATES any day.

The Mindbenders was a very daring and interesting film in its day and quite obviously an influence on Altered States. The beauty of Bogardes removed performance is spot on. It is all about opinions of course but I do not think that Basil Dearden handlng was uninspired.

Liked
    0 times
    I thought the film failed to involve partly because there was no single character to identify with. It begins as an investigation into the death of the scientist but then the "detective" disappears from the film and the film loses the viewer. If the brainwashing scene hadn't been shown earlier then the later playback of the tape might have been quite suspenseful and shocking but as it is there's no impact. I wonder if the climax was in the original script as it feels like they just worked it in to justify Ure's being pregnant...of course, I'm only guessing that she really was pregnant at the time, but looking at her bio it seems highly likely.

Senior Member Country: England Elaine's Avatar
    Liked
    600 times
    This is one, maybe the first in line as my most favourite films. I just love it. I think it was very underated when it was first released in the sixties, before it's time I guess. And although it is very tame compered to films of this kind now, it holds it's own in my opinion. Superb acting from Mary Ure and Dirk Bogarde.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Just watched this on the new [badly spelled] itv franchise..... It is a seriously dysfunctional movie.......

But it has some great touches along the way. The secret agent guy is solid like a plank......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqqGB...er_profilepage

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    I quite enjoyed it. An odd tale but I thought the performances were fine.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    An odd tale but I thought the performances were fine.
    An odd tale very oddly told indeed; my only difficulty with the actors was that they all seemed to be acting in different films half the time....

If ever a movie cried out for an *auteur*, this is the the one...........

I calculated that they could have made at least six different movies with all those disparate plot-lines and directions. I fancy Dirk and Mary were pursuing their own agenda completely. A "making of" book about this one would be far more interesting than the filmic bio-treatments we often get about movies that *succeeded*.