2 7.69%
  • The Monster Club (1980)

1 3.85%
  • Asylum (1972)

2 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    151 times
    Which is people's favourite Amicus anthology and which story would they choose as strongest? I'd probably go with the Dead of Night inspired (two takes on the Haunted Mirror) From Beyond the Grave for the Ian Bannen/Donald Pleasence story, but Blind Alleys with Nigel Patrick from Tales from the Crypt as the best story.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    There are a few I haven't yet seen, as I've only really been getting into Amicus the last couple years (I'm a die-hard Hammer fan!).

Of those I've seen, I think it's a toss-up between The House That Dripped Blood and Beyond the Grave. No one story sticks out for me in The House That Dripped Blood - there are elements of all of them that I like, such as Denholm Elliott's great performance in the first segment, and Geoffrey Bayldon's Ernest-Thesiger-like turn as a theatrical costumier in the final one.

Perhaps From Beyond the Grave is stronger for the actual stories. The best, as DB7 said, is the segment with Ian Bannen and Donald Pleasance.

I also have a soft spot for Dr Terror's House of Horrors, although it's certainly the silliest. And I really like Torture Garden - even Euterpe, the Killer Piano, which everyone else seems to think is laughable!

Liked
    151 times
    name='Dave Rattigan']I also have a soft spot for Dr Terror's House of Horrors, although it's certainly the silliest. And I really like Torture Garden - even Euterpe, the Killer Piano, which everyone else seems to think is laughable!

From Beyond the Grave comes close to farce during the Ian Carmichael segment when Madame Orloff attempts to exorcise the demon off his should by saying 'Bugger off'.

Senior Member Country: England duffy moon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I just think they are all excellent, but for different reasons. I suppose at a push, I would have to plump for TFTC as my fave.

The first tale with the deliciously top tottied & boob cushion mungous Joan Collins will always remain a corker as it both shocked, rocked and ruined my Christmas illusions long ago when I first saw it.

The second tale with the sideboard and cresta zip up boot wearing Ipsissimus Ian Hendry provides the best shock of all of the portmanteaus bar none.

Add to this all the seventies feather cuts and chopper bikes leant against the railings in the Cush segment, the purple writhing guts in the monkeys paw, and the excellent closing blind alleys tale, well I say, hands down the TFTC. The linking piece is not bad either, but I'll say that FBTG linker steals it. Oh give me any of them, any time and I'm happy

duffers

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    DTHOH like most of the films has strong and weak stories - Lee, Sutherland and the McCallum ones were IMHO v.good and remain my favorites.

Asylum is my other favorite because I think it has a good linking story as well as a couple of good stories.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Where is Asylum in that list

Liked
    0 times
    Asylum is in there, although the Lucy & Mannequins tales lose it points. Nearly clawed back by Dr. Starrs manic cackling at the end though.....

My, you do have a fat belly there Windthorp... Wear it well

Member Country: Djibouti
    Liked
    0 times
    name='duffy moon']I just think they are all excellent, but for different reasons. I suppose at a push, I would have to plump for TFTC as my fave.

The first tale with the deliciously top tottied & boob cushion mungous Joan Collins will always remain a corker as it both shocked, rocked and ruined my Christmas illusions long ago when I first saw it.

The second tale with the sideboard and cresta zip up boot wearing Ipsissimus Ian Hendry provides the best shock of all of the portmanteaus bar none.

Add to this all the seventies feather cuts and chopper bikes leant against the railings in the Cush segment, the purple writhing guts in the monkeys paw, and the excellent closing blind alleys tale, well I say, hands down the TFTC. The linking piece is not bad either, but I'll say that FBTG linker steals it. Oh give me any of them, any time and I'm happy

duffers

WHS

I don't know Torture Garden or The Monster Club and, although I've definitely seen The Vault of Horror, I can't remember it at all. But as TFTC is one of my favourites of all Brit horrors I think I'm safe in voting for it.

Liked
    151 times
    name='Windthrop']Where is Asylum in that list

Oops, my bad. Sorted now.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Like 'em all but I went for Vault of Horror due to Terry-Thomas and Tom Baker.

Liked
    0 times
    doh, and to think I almost forgot to vote

Liked
    0 times
    name='dremble wedge']Like 'em all but I went for Vault of Horror due to Terry-Thomas and Tom Baker.

Fair play to you there, Terry Thomas is rather good in this isn't he. Come to think of it, so is Tom Baker, and I never really dug his courdroy tweedlins' in anything else (apart from sea captain in Black Adder)

Liked
    0 times
    "Juice, soup, roast, sweet, coffee...."

"How do you like your clots?"

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Why do we have to choooooose i like em all !

cheers Ollie.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Dr. TERRORS was my fave for a good long while, but FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE has some much darker elements (Haunted Mirror, Pleasence segment) and Peter Cushing's marvellous linking sequence as the shopkeeper.

As said, all the Amicus compendiums have strong and weak segments - I wonder what the ultimate compilation would be...?

And for anyone who wants to think about it, keep within a five segments limit.

Smudge

Liked
    151 times
    name='smudge']

As said, all the Amicus compendiums have strong and weak segments - I wonder what the ultimate compilation would be...?

And for anyone who wants to think about it, keep within a five segments limit.

Smudge

Was thinkig that myself, if only you could cut a number of segments and create your own portmanteau.

Member Country: Djibouti
    Liked
    0 times
    name='DB7']Was thinkig that myself, if only you could cut a number of segments and create your own portmanteau.

How would you attach the handles?

Liked
    0 times
    I find the one with Angela Pleasance quite spooky.

"Singing was I?"

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    name='VladTheImpala']How would you attach the handles?

Undoubtedly with Cushing's Finest Superglue !

Holds ANYTHING together....

Smudge

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Well, they are all pretty good in one way or another, but if I had to choose a favourite then it would be The Torture Garden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast