Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name that film?

Liked
    0 times
    Can anyone remember a film from the 70's which started with a man in a health club. He takes a swim and then lies down to recieve a massage. While he is doing this a workman arrives with a new steamer chamber. The workman asks the massager for help to move / set up the chamber. The massager is knocked out or killed by the workman, who returns to the man lying on the massage bed. He begins to massage the man who says that the massage is "relaxing". The workman then asks the man if the massage is "as relaxing as this". Suddenly, he produces a chloroformed cloth which he holds over the man's face, until he is unconcious. The workman then places the unconcious man into the steamer and leaves with it. I think the film then went to the opening credits. I believe it to be a drama similar to "The Black Windmill".

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    It sounds like Brannigan with John Wayne and Richard Attenborough.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    name='batman']It sounds like Brannigan with John Wayne and Richard Attenborough.

Bats.

Without a doubt - that entertaining but daft thriller

Liked
    0 times
    As an aside: In the early 1980s a chain of restaurants opened in the South-eastern USA with the name "Brannigan's". I don't think they fared particularly well.

I never knew if the movie inspired their creation.

Liked
    44 times
    name='NappieB']As an aside: In the early 1980s a chain of restaurants opened in the South-eastern USA with the name "Brannigan's". I don't think they fared particularly well.

Why were all the staff waring corsets and hairpieces and needed stunt doubles for getting out of chairs

Liked
    255 times
    name='NappieB']As an aside: In the early 1980s a chain of restaurants opened in the South-eastern USA with the name "Brannigan's". I don't think they fared particularly well.

There's a 'Brannigans' bar here in Norwich. It's part of a chain but I don't know if it is the same one.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times

Liked
    44 times
    Brannigan's crisps are popular enough and escaped the 'curse of Brannigan'

Liked
    255 times
    And from Guys and Dolls 'Lootenant Brannigan of the Noo Yawk Po-lees Department' wasn't much cop either!

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    This is the film in which Dickie punches Wayne in a fight in a pub.Almost as daft as little John Mills beating the living daylights out of Stewart Grainger in Waterloo Road.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Best bit was seeing weasly little Tony Robinson getting shoved in the drink by The Duke. His finest moment.

Liked
    255 times

Bats.

ps - could the title of this thread be changed .... I keep confusing it with the real NTF!

Liked
    44 times
    name='Tony Pendrey']Best bit was seeing weasly little Tony Robinson getting shoved in the drink by The Duke. His finest moment.

I like the car chase with the Jag and Wayne in the Ford Capri. It's a very daft film which is saved by Hickox's fast pacing and slight overdirection. I have always wondered whether it was an in-joke having a largely left-leaning cast (Atty, Tony's Booth and Robinson, Brian Glover and Don Henderson) opposite the ultra-right wing Duke.

Liked
    255 times
    name='Windthrop']I like the car chase with the Jag and Wayne in the Ford Capri. It's a very daft film which is saved by Hickox's fast pacing and slight overdirection. I have always wondered whether it was an in-joke having a largely left-leaning cast (Atty, Tony's Booth and Robinson, Brian Glover and Don Henderson) opposite the ultra-right wing Duke.

It's the only film I can remember Del (Fallen Hero) Henney being in .... apart from Straw Dogs.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    fallen hero Great series!

Liked
    0 times
    Del Henney can also be spotted (just ) in ' When Eight Bells Toll '.

Senior Member Country: England DocRobertPepper's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    Ive always wondered how they managed to drive down Plough Road in Battersea and then end up jumping over Tower Bridge

Liked
    44 times
    name='DocRobertPepper']Ive always wondered how they managed to drive down Plough Road in Battersea and then end up jumping over Tower Bridge

The 'magic' of cinema - the same 'magic' which plays havoc with London's geography in Knock on Wood where Oxford Street becomes adjacent to Ludgate Hill

Liked
    255 times
    In the TV version of The Stranger Left No Card, which was an episode of Tales of the Unexpected called Stranger In Town, Derek Jacobi came out of Norwich Station and walked for a few minutes before arriving at The Hog In Armour pub which is about two miles away in the city centre. When he left the pub (a workshop in the story) he proceeded to walk away from the station and ended up back there in no time.

Bats.

ps - the TV version isn't a patch on the original, which starred the great Alan Badel

Liked
    255 times
    name='kevinfl']Del Henney can also be spotted (just ) in ' When Eight Bells Toll '.

For those people who don't know of Del Henney ....

Bats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast