Liked
    0 times
    "The Day Will Dawn" made in 1942, is clearly a mix of studio shots and genuine newsreel/propaganda footage of the time. Some of the sequences show footage that must have originated from the Germans - shots of German soldiers and planes in flight (taken from in flight bombers).

I'm curious how footage from 'the other side' would find itself in a British war film shot mid-war.

Paul

Liked
    0 times
    Remember that America was neutral til;l the end of 1941.So it would have been quite practical to acquire this footage from the States from American newsreel companies.

Liked
    0 times
    Aha, thank you. I hadn't considered that. I think these films are quite something when you consider that when they were made the outcome was far from clear.

Paul

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pauland
    Aha, thank you. I hadn't considered that. I think these films are quite something when you consider that when they were made the outcome was far from clear.

Paul
    That's something to consider when viewing almost every film made in Britain during the war. Many people have said they always knew that the Allies would win, it was just a matter of how and when.

Those in charge knew how close it was at quite a few places in the conflict. The Battle of Britain, the Battle of the Atlantic, D-Day and many others could easily have failed and led to us either losing or not being able to win for decades.

But it's not a thing you see considered in many films, or in many history books

Steve