The Riddle of the Sands.
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone know the locations that were used in the 1979 Riddle of the Sands? Especially, the Narrow Gauge Railway and does it still exist?

Liked
    0 times
    I do not know where the railway is, but this is a nice and unusual film, however the book is far better.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    name='Redstar']I do not know where the railway is, but this is a nice and unusual film, however the book is far better.

The film does have one huge advantage though

I shall try to get an answer for Redstar but not for a couple of weeks at least.

Liked
    0 times
    In the film of Erskine Childer's the Riddle of the Sands, the is quite a lot of footage of a narrow gauge steam railway. I think it may have been shot on one of the German Friesland islands. Does anyone know which railway it was and if it still exists?

Liked
    36 times
    name='Chris OD']In the film of Erskine Childer's the Riddle of the Sands, the is quite a lot of footage of a narrow gauge steam railway. I think it may have been shot on one of the German Friesland islands. Does anyone know which railway it was and if it still exists?

If you're quick and want to post your question in Jenny Agutter's thread, I might be able to ask her tomorrow!

Liked
    0 times
    I've been a bit busy lately as I had a garden at The Chelsea Flower Show: RHS Chelsea 2008: SPANA’s Courtyard Refuge.

I have dipped in to the forum from time to time but my time has been taken up with the show. However, I'm still intrigued to know about the narrow gauge railway in Riddle of the Sands. Did Jenny ever do the Q&A?

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Hello Chris,

First of all congratulations on the Silver Award for the Society for the Protection of Animals Abroad Garden refuge.

I went over the credits of the ROTS video I have, no problem as Howard Blake's score is one of my favs along with the film. The locations are Greetsiel in West Germany and Enkhuizen in the Netherlands.

Going to Enkhuizen Transportation Tips by Pavlik_NL - VirtualTourist.com

the writer mentions the Hoorn Medemblik steam heritage railway with Hoorn being quite close to Enkhuizen (there is an electric train which takes you to Hoorn).

The web site is

Museum Stoomtram Hoorn-Medemblik

and it does look very familiar, the carriages used in the film are walk through as are the ones featured. The engines look similar though the engine number featured in the film is 23 whereas their number is 26.

The station at Enkhuizen although not part of the railway could have easily doubled for the station scenes from the film as could the station at Medemblik where Davies says goodbye to Carruthers

Medemblik Transportation - Travel Guide - VirtualTourist.com

The virtual tourist site has been a great help in looking this up. Although I cannot be certain I hope this has been of help.

regards

Freddy

Liked
    36 times
    name='Chris OD']Did Jenny ever do the Q&A?

I'm afraid not.

Liked
    0 times
    Thank you Freddy, those websites really help and the pictures are great. I may have to make a trip there before too long. And thanks for all the information about the station etc. You obviously know your Narrow Gauge stuff! And thanks Fell. Did Jenny ever answer any of the questions? BTW, amongst other celebrities I met at Chelsea, I spoke to Susan Hampshire and she was as gracious and beautiful as I imagined she would be.